Honda single project

unclerob

Been Around the Block
Hello all, I've been working on a new project for the last couple of months but never got round to posting anything about it here on DTT, its a bit chilly this morning and I don't feel like actually doing any work so thought I'd sit at the comp instead....
Anyhow, the idea was to build something with some of the looks and feel of a 60's single cylinder race bike but using modernish parts. I picked on the Honda 650 partly because I like Hondas, the radial valve arrangement appeals to me especially but mainly because I came across one for a couple of hundred pounds....and then a second one turned up too!
The first one is really just a try out and once everything is sorted and I'm happy with it then I'm intending to build the second one as a road legal bike. So far, I've been making bits but a few days ago I started the final build of the first bike....heres a few pics....

Attachments

• sr08.jpg
    sr08.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 401
  • sr16.jpg
    sr16.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 375
  • sr33.jpg
    sr33.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 376
  • sr47.jpg
    sr47.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 389
  • sr142.jpg
    sr142.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 383
  • sr152.jpg
    sr152.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 396
  • sr156.jpg
    sr156.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 398
Courier days were a long while ago Steve....nowadays I don't even go out in the rain!
I'm in Kent btw
And thanks TJ, if you remember I was interested in your Vindicator project but it sold before I managed to find enough cash, so I decided to do this instead.
I was originally going to build it in more of a Manx sort of look but decided the engine didn't really suit a featherbed type frame so went with this version instead, also I'm planning another one with a 650 Transalp motor which fits in quite easily.

Attachments

• sr171.jpg
    sr171.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 356
  • sr170.jpg
    sr170.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 361
  • sr166.jpg
    sr166.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 366
It was an SLR 650 originally, based on the NX650 Dominator and built by Montesa in Spain. A bit dull and uninspiring to ride really, the engine especially is not what you'd call a fire breather by a long way. I think its got potential though, its balanced shafted, 4 valves, radially arranged (not that I think it makes much difference but a nice idea!) but seems very choked. Tuning parts are almost non existent in the UK and apart from a rebuild all I've done is make a much bigger bore exhaust and got a 41mm flatslide for it. The bike is going to turn out about 60lbs lighter than stock though which should help, and at a later date I'm planning on having a couple of cams ground with different profiles and experiment with those. I've made a second frame that has detachable engine mounts so I can change bits with it in the frame....this one, my first go...you have to take the motor right out to change anything....didn't occur to me at the time!

Attachments

• Honda SLR650 97  1.jpg
    Honda SLR650 97 1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 368
  • sr147.jpg
    sr147.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 339
UR,

I can well imagine you would have done the Vindicator proud - great work so far. I can see your vision with this one.

I started off with one of these engines a few years back - in a BMW Airhead frame, but then the Vindicator came along. Sold the engine - still have the frame !

The SLR650 engine is basically an electric start XR600R engine, fairly easy to get more power out of, I think the stock SLR is about 30bhp, XRs are about 40bhp, use an XR600 carb and a free flowing exhaust and you should get near 40 bhp.

Thanks yes, I've made a big bore system and it has a 41mm flatslide, planning to see what thats like then maybe try some headwork and a cam....
Got the instrument panel done, used a little Koso rev counter and not worrying about a speedo....and most of the way with making a new loom for it. For a bike with no lights, indicators etc there turned out to be still a good few wires!

Attachments

• sr173.jpg
    sr173.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 347
  • sr175.jpg
    sr175.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 351
And pics of some more progress below, I'll be getting the wheels rebuilt as soon as I have some cash spare....anyone want to buy a nice low miles ST4S....going cheap!!!!
And before I forget, in case its of any use.....linking up the keihin flatslide TPS to the Honda ignition unit, these are the wiring colours...
blue to yellow/red, yellow to yellow/blue and black to blue/green....it took me half the day to work that out!

Attachments

• sr177.jpg
    sr177.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 351
  • sr179.jpg
    sr179.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 354
Almost finished now though yet to stick my hand in my pocket and stump up for a new pair of wheels and tyres, rear will be an 18" instead of the current 17 but sticking with a 19" front, seat off being upholstered at the mo.

Attachments

• sr184.jpg
    sr184.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 346
  • sr193.jpg
    sr193.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 347
  • sr185.jpg
    sr185.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 349
Back
Top Bottom