'81 CX500...Round 2?

50gary said:
On the rear welded in plate, how is the tire clearance in full suspension compression? On my CX500 I made a "bridge" at that point and followed the contour of the original inner plastic fender that I also cut off at the shock mounts. The "bridge" as I call it is welded in steel to tie the shock towers together and allow for original suspension travel. Just wondering?
Cheers, 50gary

Clearance is good.

If you convert to a rear disc brake you can reduce the weight even more. I'm hoping to get below 400#, fingers crossed.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
If you convert to a rear disc brake you can reduce the weight even more. I'm hoping to get below 400#, fingers crossed.
Cheers, 50gary

thought about that (i think you can use a setup from a GL or something). Except that it requires more fabrication than i'm equipped with. I'd definitely like to see the outcome though if/when you do it! I think I'm pretty much done with this project (except for little things that will pop up as I ride it) and I'm ready to move onto the next one...mmmm...kz1000 (crossing fingers)

I have already done the rear conversion to my CX and it's sweet if I do say so myself. The GL or that other conversion that was on the CX forum are not to my taste. They are too heavy and old tech parts. The hidden best part is the removal of the mechanical brake lever and additional frame tubes necessary to support the right to left OEM lever action, that also weighs about 6# and looks clunky. I moved the side stand (made a new lighter one) to the main frame tube, much nicer arrangement, clean. Funny, I made the switch mainly for the weight and looks (snoot value) I rarely use the rear brake anyway.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
I have already done the rear conversion to my CX and it's sweet if I do say so myself. The GL or that other conversion that was on the CX forum are not to my taste. They are too heavy and old tech parts. The hidden best part is the removal of the mechanical brake lever and additional frame tubes necessary to support the right to left OEM lever action, that also weighs about 6# and looks clunky. I moved the side stand (made a new lighter one) to the main frame tube, much nicer arrangement, clean. Funny, I made the switch mainly for the weight and looks (snoot value) I rarely use the rear brake anyway.
Cheers, 50gary
Sounds awesome 50gary. Where can I see this? I also rarely use the rear brake, but it's always nice to get some improvement if/when it's needed.

50gary
This is an early picture before completion. What you see here is my '78 standard CX500 hub, the rotor is an SV1000, the caliper and hanger/bracket, R1-2004 and the key part in between is my design and build rotor carrier. The very first thing to do is mill off the brake drum leaving the lip that make spokes concentric on the hub. This lightens the unit a lot as the cast iron liner for the brake shoes is heavy. The rotor carrier is the part used to connect the rotor to the hub. It's amazing to me I found the CX hub has a 110mm bolt circle with five 8mm holes that holds the drive side spline. I through bored these five holes into my new rotor carrier with longer 8mm bolts. The search for a rotor with the same bolt count and circle yielded the SV 1000 with a 90mm center hole for concentricity, that was a nice find. Then bored and taped the rotor mount holes (also 8mm) in the left side of the carrier but staggered alternately between the hub spline bolts. A total of ten holes five each side equals a hole every 36 degrees, perfect. Then we radially bored ten lightening "speed holes" 5/8" diameter. to save 4 oz and look cool. The lightening holes are not in the carrier in this picture at this point. Because of the small diameter CX rear axle two bushings were made for the caliper hanger to center and position it correctly. A Galfer S/S line runs from the caliper to the right side with a Brembo rear M/C and an R1 brake lever. The anchor rod mounts to the original swingarm mount with a different length and a new clevis end. I'll post more complete picture set when the parts come back from the powder coating. In any of the conversions parts selection is key. I just couldn't have a drum brake in the rear with a '07 GSX-R 750 front mounted to an 18 x 2.15" Comstar wheel.
Cheers, 50gary

You have a close up pic of how you did the turn signal switch, its mounting, etc. Hard to tell, but looks like a SPDT switch. Very interested...

Back
Top Bottom