Strange blinker issue

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys!

I´ve rebuild the left handlebarswitch on my Yamaha XS 750 a few days ago and today put everthing together.Now I have a strange problem.
When I activate the left or right blinkers, the blinkers are dead but the lighting of the tachs blink...
What did I do wrong?
Where can I search for the problem.

Made a little video for better understanding:
https://youtu.be/5jiEVVzEnYI

Thanks in advance!

Good day,

Looks like the signal switch is connecting with other systems somehow.

To start, I assume the blinkers were working correctly before you rebuilt the switch? If so take a second look at your connections when you rebuilt it.
If you can’t rectify it that way, try removing some systems from the circuit. Looks like when you have the right signal engaged, your tach backlights, oil pressure, and neutral light are blinking. Try disconnecting them one by one to see which circuit is crossed. You can isolate the fault easier if you know which system is crossed. I hope this helps, let us know your progress.

Just checked if there is probably a ground issue with the blinkers since they get their ground from the metal castings.
Now the fuse gets shot everytime I use the blinker switch...
Looks like something is shorting out.

Well, well, well - looks like someone's been listening to my advice/hints.

You're on the right track. Keep it up.

The strange thing is:

Yesterday the left side was working fine, today not anymore...there must be some malconnection somewhere....

1977 1T5 XS 750.

Updated status:
When I activate the left blinker switch both front and back blinkers light up (no blinking).
When I active the right one the circuit shorts out and blows either the 20A main fuse or 15A light fuse.

My money is on the brown white cable going from the switch the relais.Going to measure continuity there and see if there is a problem.
Any guesses?

Ryan Stecken said:
Any guesses?

My guess, close, but no cigar. Oh and don't overdo it or you will f*ck the flasher relay. If you connect brown to brown white (instead of the relay) you take that out of the equation, basically bridging the relay.

PROBLEM SOLVED ;D

Found the problem: When I soldered the three cables in the bar switch I made a little hole in the insulation in one of the blinker cables touching the inside of the cast switch causing it to short out...
However I think I fucked up my relais...doesnt work anymore...

THIS is exactly what I effed up data :) now I switched back to the old stinkin´one and I´m golden... I just love the sound of the old relais!

Ryan Stecken said:
THIS is exactly what I effed up data :) now I switched back to the old stinkin´one and I´m golden... I just love the sound of the old relais!
But the connections are exactly the same? At least on the ones ive come across. And i agree, old electromechanics are a lot nicer.

Back
Top Bottom