Does anyone still build Cafe Racers or is it not fashionable anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DohcBikes said:
Pessimist? How bout realist. Half of the sponsors here are a joke too.

GrandPaul, your bikes are awesome, and if these jokers built half as nice as you did they wouldn't catch so much shit.

Most of the stuff that gets ripped on breaks the most BASIC rules of building and safety.

This thread is getting me cocked and loaded for a major rant so keep it up. Certainly has me motivated to keep doing what I do here.

Listen, I don't blame you. In fact, you are correct most of the time. Your delivery sucks, but hey, it's your life so live it. In the words of Lewbowski, "the Dude abides." The disconnect however is that this forum is called DOTHETON, it is attached to website that sells up-priced Chinese made "Cafe"/whatever the style of week are goods, and it is without a doubt going to attract the people you don't like. That website even encourages posts on the forum by providing discounts based on posts. How many shit posts do you think the forum sees just like JW or any other builder of week so they can save $5? It's probably more than you might think. But as you have already made it clear, you enjoy to be the troll. This is the internet after all, so troll on my friend, and more power to you. I for one prefer to post on a variety of other forums with more narrow demographics that generally tend to attract more experienced builders and forum participants, they are at a minimum less frustrating to sort through, and I even manage to get educated from time to time. Though there are interesting discussions and some great builds here occasionally so I stop back regularly. Otherwise, this site is pretty much the bottom of the barrel as far as bike forums go.

Chris i'm not a troll, even if I humor some and claim to be at times, and if this forum becomes a group of less to let the cream rise then so be it. Your last statement is is something i could have agreed with several months ago. It's changing. Call me a narcissist if you like but the fact is it's not without my influence that this is happening. The demographic is narrowing, to disinclude some undesireable shit. More people here are starting to see that.

DohcBikes said:
The ones that get the shit are the ones that deserve it. If you build a shit bike then you should be told it's shit.

While I am the "new guy" here, I have built both cafe' and track bikes on and off for around 35 years. Not exactly a "NOOB"at building. I just has to address this. I don't think people need to have their work/bikes called "shit". While the bike may very well be, it's not exactly the most constructive answer and only serves to help kill off interest in the bikes we like (and help self inflate those egos that need it). A better answer would be to tell the person that what they have done is incorrect and offer a better way of doing whatever.

I always though forums like this were intended to SHARE info and not to degrade and belittle others.

Caf3racer said:
While I am the "new guy" here, I have built both cafe' and track bikes on and off for around 35 years. Not exactly a "NOOB"at building. I just has to address this. I don't think people need to have their work/bikes called "shit". While the bike may very well be, it's not exactly the most constructive answer and only serves to help kill off interest in the bikes we like (and help self inflate those egos that need it). A better answer would be to tell the person that what they have done is incorrect and offer a better way of doing whatever.

I always though forums like this were intended to SHARE info and not to degrade and belittle others.
That's where the ignorance lies. It starts with telling them it's incorrect. When they start bawling about it, that's when they get the backhand. If it's shit, it's shit.

I share more helpful info than the vast majority here, period. If you have a problem with the delivery maybe you should buy more tissues.

Get bent.

DohcBikes said:
Chris i'm not a troll, even if I humor some and claim to be at times, and if this forum becomes a group of less to let the cream rise then so be it. Your last statement is is something i could have agreed with several months ago. It's changing. Call me a narcissist if you like but the fact is it's not without my influence that this is happening. The demographic is narrowing, to disinclude some undesireable shit. More people here are starting to see that.

So you're trying to change an existing forum to be more like you then? That's all kinds of fucked up. Delivery is as much the responsibility of the speaker as it is to the listener. You're delusional if you believe yourself to be beyond reproach.

Mr.E said:
So you're trying to change an existing forum to be more like you then?
I sincerely have no idea how you could gain that from anything i've said.

Inferences are a slippery slope.

Furthermore, if an existing site is unwilling to change for the better, it will be non-existent in the near future.

DohcBikes said:
I sincerely have no idea how you could gain that from anything i've said.

Inferences are a slippery slope.

Furthermore, if an existing site is unwilling to change for the better, it will be non-existent in the near future.

That's what I dont understand tho. You're the only one that thinks your revision of the community is better.

Mr.E said:
That's what I dont understand tho. You're the only one that thinks your revision of the community is better.
So, because your interpretaion of my communication is that i am attempting to revise this site, that's reality now? And even if you were right, no i'm not the only one. Haha.

DohcBikes said:
quite the contrary, that's exactly what you said.

Mr.E said:
quite the contrary, that's exactly what you said.
NOPE. I didnt say a damn thing about attempting to revise this site. I said that this site and the builds here are being influenced by my contribution. I am not actively manipulating the way this site runs, it is reacting all on its own. Don't twist my words to make yourself a hero.

DohcBikes said:
NOPE. I didnt say a damn thing about attempting to revise this site. I said that this site is being influenced by my contribution. Don't twist my words to make yourself a hero.

Me, a hero? Certainly not. Ha, wherever did you get that from? I detect your getting a tad steamed here. Which shouldn't be happening, we're just having a conversation right?

Mr.E said:
Me, a hero? Certainly not. Ha, wherever did you get that from? I detect your getting a tad steamed here. Which shouldn't be happening, we're just having a conversation right?
I detect that you completely ignore things, such as the post above, when they don't suit your agenda.

You've got to be kidding me. I have no idea how dtt guys built bikes befor you joined. Get the fuck over yourself. i stepped out for a few months but I couldn't stand your bullshit when I left and nothing has changed. Respect is earned don't think that "I've bla bla bla for 35 years" Carries any weight, there are low life's, whores , and assholes in nursing homes, being old doesn't make you anything but closer to dead

grandpaul said:
1974 John Player Norton full restoration (rare bike, 1 of only 200)
412105852.jpg

I'm a huge fan of this bike.

DohcBikes said:
I detect that you completely ignore things, such as the post above, when they don't suit your agenda.

My agenda? Have you been reading my diary again? This oughta be good. Do tell :)

DOHC will you ever be done? I have been a part of this forum actively since 2009. I break bread yearly in person with the very guy who started it. I'll be the one to say it: you believe you are improving this place but the fact is you are pissing on it. Your constant replies to EVERY DAMNED thread that you decide causes a bad taste in your mouth are ruining it for droves of other people who may have interest in the hobby. I don't share builds on here anymore simply because I don't want to wade through the lakes of shit that you and a few others like to dump in the path of an otherwise normally flowing river. The reality is I actually finish and ride and enjoy 2-3 new bikes a year. They aren't the coolest, and they aren't show quality by concourse standards, but the fact is I actively build and contribute in person to the community. How many people like me don't share here because of the climate? I can name more that 10. Who is losing in that "formula for success"?

I know that you'll just come back and say that "I'm one of those guys", but the fact is that "you are that guy". You can take pride in that all that you want but it seems like a horrible existence to take pleasure in trying to alienate folks starting from the bottom by thumping your chest from your self proclaimed precipice. People are going to mess up when they are new to building bikes. We can help them without being a total tool about it. And if they don't need given advice, that's on them. End scenario is their shit breaks and they either have the gumption to fix it or they give up, move on to another hobby, and we buy their leftovers. No harm no foul. But to attach a label to a website that has flourished in the past on courtesy and kind pragmatism with a new one rooted in elitism does nothing but boost the ego of a few crotchety old assholes. Take a good look in the mirror and if that's what you're satisfied with then do the world a favor and keep your sewage to yourself. The last few posts on this topic are proof that you thrive off of confrontation for the sake of confrontation and I'm personally sick of having to hear "did you see what DOHC posted today?"

I normally stay quiet and to my knowledge I have never tied up with you on anything at all, but enough is enough man, check the venom at the door.

What the fuck does show quality have to do with building a bike that functions correctly?

Just more words put into my mouth.

I'll probably regret posting in this thread but I'll say this, Dohc, I believe you care more than your avatar suggests. You put in the effort to wade through so many posts that any rational person can assume you care about this stuff. You are often good at presenting your point, other times, your communication style shuts down the person you try to educate. You can't blame them for that. I don't intend this to be criticism, just observation from my point of view. I've been a teacher of sorts for many years and learning to adapt communication styles to the intended audience changed the game for me. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom