Interesting little read...

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
Remember that you're on your own out there. No one is looking out for your well being but you, even if they think they are apparently. Keep your head up and eyes open folks. Being dead ruins your day.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/a19641/why-you-dont-see-motorcycles-on-the-road/

Motion Blindness is also a factor. With both riders and cagers, but more so with cagers because they're generally not used to scanning the area ahead for hazards as much as riders are.
http://www.ntnoa.org/motion%20blindness.htm

But it also goes back to: "I didn't see the Rider" means "I didn't LOOK for the Rider".
And the Lugnut Rule is always in effect. Being "Right" doesn't make you any less dead ;)

That's why I always thought the "Q Switch" was good idea. Developed in the 70's to pulse your headlight at a rate that the human mind cannot ignore. Don't know why it never took off, maybe it didn't work as planned. I always ride aggressively, as though every car is trying to kill me. I know some people think my theory on turn signals is crazy, but I seldom use them, most people will react to your turn signals and not always in a yielding manner. I find when changing lanes many cagers want to close the gap preventing your lane change in front of them. So I make sure it is safe to make the change and just do it before the others can react.

Where I live, every vehicle has a headlight on during the day. On a bike I'm invisible.

I have had numerous arguments with riders over the years. Loud pipes don't save lives. Headlight modulators don't save lives. Riding like you are invisible and being in an insect like state of awareness will keep you alive. Move your eyes, always, look where you will be, not where you are going. Etc etc.

It's up to the rider to stay alive. Not a mechanical or audible crutch.

cosworth said:
Where I live, every vehicle has a headlight on during the day. On a bike I'm invisible.

I have had numerous arguments with riders over the years. Loud pipes don't save lives. Headlight modulators don't save lives. Riding like you are invisible and being in an insect like state of awareness will keep you alive. Move your eyes, always, look where you will be, not where you are going. Etc etc.

It's up to the rider to stay alive. Not a mechanical or audible crutch.

Ya, I'm a believer that my safety is largely in my own hands. I'll use whatever I think will work, but I'm not gonna rely only on that 'crutch". Being 'very aware' around intersections and always 'on' helps.

No doubt tho, if they're "out to get ya", they're likely gonna. :(

I agree on the "crutches". I believe that's largely why people drive so much worse these days. Because they rely on the Bells/Whistles/Gadgets to save them from themselves, at the expense of others.

And to that argument, I like this and want one...
"
If+loud+pipes+save+lives+imagine+that+learning+to+ride+T-shirt.jpg

I look for bail zones on my regular routes, on my way to work I have egress ramps and water sheds all memorized, I will go offroading before I bone a car or take a hit if possible... Texters incoming on my six really get my nose hairs flairing, always watching both gaps for the best escape. I always ride left of center.

Had my share of dust offs and rash, but the worst crash ever left me standing dumbfounded in a left turn lane. 1969 Bonneville 750... stepped off and it never even started to fall when a 1977 LTD hit it broadside and drug it under the front fender for a good 30 feet. If I didn't step off I would have died instantly.

This is why I like the riding the track....good to go there and get your thrills riding as hard as you want....then ride carefully out on the street. As many have said here....ride like they're out to get you! 8)

And how does/did that scenario play out? Someone entering your lane and you pin the throttle?

And this works on large vehicles like SUV's and tractor/trailers? What if they still keep coming?

I guess I'm wondering why a loud horn wouldn't work just as well in that situation? Or do you not have one?
And, that you have enough time to rev the motor, and then "Plan B" kick the vehicle, but don't have time to tap the brake and/or swerve out of the way?

I've been riding for over 30yrs, often in heavy city traffic. I've had plenty of cars come over into my lane, but I've never stayed in that situation long enough to perform all the tasks you describe. I just find it fascinating.
Have you ever had to lay the bike down to avoid hitting another vehicle?

In order to bring attention to how ignorant some people are, i very frequently have people who seem to ignore the 5 blinkers on my 20 ton tractor and farm equipment and still try to pass me as i turn left
Most people are just not paying attention as they drive and will not notice you no matter what.
Just be safe, and ride like everyone else is asleep at the wheel

When is it you think I stepped onto a Soapbox? I'm just trying to understand the logic. Like I said, it's fascinating. I don't understand being "trapped in traffic" though, can you elaborate? And you neglected to answer earlier, have you ever had to lay the bike down to avoid hitting another vehicle?

Back
Top Bottom