1971 Kawasaki G3SS

Walms said:
When we have the "singles" rally should we make the guys that show up on a triple ride at the back of the pack? :)

Haha! Oh ya... oh ya!! :)

Easy now boyz... I only hijacked that thread because I'm a wee bit dense eh... No malice what so ever! ;)
Drewski, those clubmans, are they more comfy than they look? I like the drag bars personally...

Walms said:
Easy now boyz... I only hijacked that thread because I'm a wee bit dense eh... No malice what so ever! ;)
Drewski, those clubmans, are they more comfy than they look? I like the drag bars personally...

Well, personally the drag bars are the most comfortable and practical for me. I need to narrow them some though.

:)

Well this project is dragging but I'll give you guys an update.
The cylinder and head are currently being massaged by John Aylor along with my H1 stuff... :)
I'm sending both cranks off to be rebuilt.
I was lucky enough to score a bunch of CBR parts from Drewski :)

Just mocked up here but it doesn't look like much effort to retrofit.

Pipes are rolled and ready to be welded.

I'm on the case this weekend! :D

Some before and after pics...
Rotary valve cover

Cases

Out with the 19mm round slide, in with the 24mm Flat slide...

Hi!
I may have mentioned this before, but see if the cylinder sleeve protrudes into the intake - mine did, quite substantially. I put magic marker (poor man's machinist bluing) all over the end of the sleeve, dropped the cylinder on and reached thru and scribed the liner. A little work with the dremel and all was well...
Wow that 24 looks big - same size as the Green Streak ran I believe. If your research it, a company back in the '70's called the Skunkworkz (sp?) had intakes that put the carb up and back kinda like a Rotax Rotary valve motor and it acted as a Helmholtz chamber at the same time. You could change the length to get maximum flow or something...
OTT, what trimming have you done to the rotary valve - I used the same specs as the modified Samurai 250 stuff from Kawasaki and it worked well enough for me...
The G3's were neat little bikes, just a bit tiny...
Enjoying the build so far.
Pat

Thanks Pat, I did notice that trimming was in order previously, it's amazing they ran as well as they did stock. when I get my cylinder back, I'll tend to that for sure. ;)
I have a G31M rotary valve to compare to, although I won't go as far as that or she will be pretty pipey.
My plan is to get some blue spring steel and get a few laser cut, that way I can play with a few combos. That's the beauty of these valves, you can play with both timing and duration. It should be fun getting her dialled in. :)

Subscribed. This is a great build. Don't know how I missed it since I'm in the middle of a '74 G4 build. Good ideas and inspiration here.

Unfortunately, I've dropped the ball on this project... I had to rebuild my triple motor over last winter and that pretty much soaked up my motorcycle funds and I've been too busy riding that one for the summer months.
I hope to get busy on it again this fall. :)

just found this topic and decided to share my '69 G3SS:

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

Thanks, still need to finish some of the wiring to rear tail light but she runs. Here is a picture of what I started with, found it in sitting in a barn on a job site:

20120207_192552_zps13c5870b.jpg

Walms said:
This bike will be my daughter's first street bike...
Timid little suckers with a stock HP rating of 10.5...
The good part is this little rotary valve 2 stroke can be modified to make double that HP... :D She weighs in at 174lbs and I'd like to get it down to 160...

Basically hide all the electrics and oil tank in the tail, upgrade the front brake to disc., build the motor and pipe.

F93665BB-71B6-4A33-A41D-896FD266828A-6245-000005A419424EE0.jpg

I got started on the motor over the holiday's by shopping on eBay...
The stock cast iron 3 port 90cc cylinder was upgraded to a G4TR 5 port cylinder. At the same time, I bought some cases from a 1993 KE100, mainly to save some port work time to adapt the different cylinders...

F3CDD549-D4B9-4FCE-BF9D-37EC0BA0802E-4504-000003A2141BB989.jpg

This is the bike that inspired me on this project... Not mine or anyone I know, I just found the image on the web. I photoshopped my first go for the pipe layout.

E0FC6471-116A-40BE-A69D-78CBF684D8F4-7486-000004C198ADE6C5.jpg

With any luck, I'll have it ready for the start of riding season in May... Maybe wishful thinking though!!
how would you double the HP

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The short answer is port timing and shape, a modern pipe design and larger carburetor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone! New to this forum and still trying to figure out my way around it. It's nice to find other guys who are building and restoring G3SS's, I've got two myself. One is a 72 and the other a 74. I'll have to get pictures up at some point for everyone to see. Love these small bikes, they have a lot of character and are fun as hell to ride.

I saw you were rebuilding/replacing your exhaust Walms. Do you, or anyone else on this thread for that matter, by any chance have a G3TR high pipe? I'm making my 72 G3SS into a scrambler and dislike the idea of a low pipe when out in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom