YZF750/1000R - The Fly 5

advCo said:
Much valves, many clearance.

So many....

More pics. Made progress last night finally. This is taking longer than I like but the last two weeks stuff got in the way. The biggie was that we had one of our trees come apart and fall on the power line to the house. That got interesting for a few days. The good part of it was that I now have a single-phase 200amp feed at the new panel for my house. I'll have to do the run into the garage myself with a buddy but better power tools are in my future.

After more moto-homework, I got up the cojones to pull the cams after triple checking the procedure and my measurements on the clearances. Still looks good in there, plenty of oil, no signs of any starvation. Lobes and journals look good but I'm still going to measure the cam lobes, etc...

I had Mrs save me some egg cartons to organize the 20 little bastard shims and buckets. This is a job for my part-time ocd. Now that everything is out and measured, I now know what shims and a few other small bits I'll need to order. Step by step...
yzf_vc1.jpg
yzf_vc2.jpg
yzf_vc3.jpg
yzf_vc4.jpg
yzf_vc5.jpg
yzf_vc6.jpg
yzf_vc7.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a lot to tackle, but she'll be happy once all those valves are in spec.

I like the egg carton trick, I'll have to remember that one.

All the new shims are in and setup under the followers(buckets). I also had to order another torque wrench with a better range of in/lbs. Getting the cams back in correctly is testing me.

So...I measured all the cam lobes and they were in spec. Happy about that. I got the cams re-installed last night finally. The new torque wrench I ordered was perfect for the job. It took a little Irish whiskey, lots of patience and some new curse words. It was late so I didn't get to re-measure the new clearances. That'll be tonight. A bit of mental prodding from my friends at Checkered Past Cycles helped with the trick of getting that damn intake cam in. I had not done a shim under bucket, cams out job like this in at least 20 years. Now I remember why.
cams1.jpg
cams2.jpg
cams3.jpg

Last edited:
Much prefer tappets for sure but the shims allow more RPM do they not? Anyway good job, hope all check out for you!

Maritime said:
Much prefer tappets for sure but the shims allow more RPM do they not? Anyway good job, hope all check out for you!

Thanks man. Tappets vs. shims, you are probably right. For comparison the ZRX uses a much simpler style of tappet and shim and its 20x easier and quicker for the same job. Either way, it's a labor of love (good whiskey and motorcycles).

And for the curious, this is what I was sipping last night. Only about 400 cases are produced every year and apparently Total Wine buys them all. Very nice stuff.
whiskey.jpg

Last edited:
After all that, I had 4 different intakes that were still a bit snug. Damn. So out came the intake cam AGAIN and I swapped out the 4 I wasn't happy with. All that and I replaced the 24 year old valve cover gasket and sealed it up. Kind feels like I'm in a special club now. lol. Very frustrating and satisfying at the same time.
redo0.jpg
redo1.jpg
redo2.jpg
redoDone.jpg
shim_done.png

Last edited:
1fasgsxr said:
I forgot that thing has 3 intake valves per cylinder... ???

Yep. It has it's own sound at WOT that I love. All in all, not much different doing it on this than an older air cooled Kawasaki shim under bucket other than all the stuff you have to remove just to get to the heads.

New Yamaha clutch is happening. Did a full strip and rebuild on the clutch master and slave as well as finally installing the braided stainless clutch line. I also scored a nice (but varnished) set of yzf carbs for cheap. 78$ shipped. Better than the set that came on the parts bike.
yzf_clutch1.jpg
sparecarbs_varnish.jpg

Last edited:
Clutch is all done. I'm waiting until it's off the lift and on its wheels to finish routing the new ss line to the clutch master cylinder so I can check it at full turn stops. Rear wheel is off for a new tire. Front will get one when the bikes is off the lift. I'm also doing some harness cleanup in the front around the radiator. Nothing was messed with, just age related stuff.

Attachments

• cc_workspace.jpg
    cc_workspace.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 222
Back
Top Bottom