KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

The Jimbonaut said:
Truth be told I'm not expecting to be fording any rivers any time soon - my offroad abilities are fairly conservative at best.

I suspect that thought will change once you hit the trails ha Lack of ability hasn't stopped me from being an idiot off-road.

But to be fair, I found a way around the water hole on our Georgia trip when mr.e and irk plowed through it full force.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurco550 said:
I suspect that thought will change once you hit the trails ha Lack of ability hasn't stopped me from being an idiot off-road.

Ha! You're not wrong mate - in my head I was some kind of enduro sensei as I went barreling up 70 degree inclines in the Nicaraguan badlands, but in reality I probably looked more like a duck dancing on a hotplate.

Jim, too high = anything above the intake, so a snorkel extends that. if it's as high as the handlebars you can go that deep, at least in theory. I had a 4 wheeler with a snorkel above the bars and routinely cross water up to and slightly over the bars, just couldn't let off the throttle or the exhaust could fill with water.

Gotcha. Up to the handlebars...my speedos would get a decent work out in that kind of high water mark.

The thing with the snorkel is that it doesn't actually raise the height of the intake, it just seems to focus it. At least that's how it looks to me. The snorkel fits inside the airbox, but the mouth of it sits flush with the opening on the top of the airbox. Removing it doesn't seem to alter the height of the intake, just the capacity.

Ok that snorkel goes down into the box, is there another that seals against the gasket that goes up under the tank to add height to the intake, that's the important one if there is, if not removing that is a moot point.

^^ never mind a snorkel, that dude needs an aqualung

Maritime said:
Ok that snorkel goes down into the box, is there another that seals against the gasket that goes up under the tank to add height to the intake, that's the important one if there is, if not removing that is a moot point.

I don't think so - there's the intake from the carb, but no other snorkel in the airbox itself that I can see.

Jimbo, just remember that if you end up dropping her in the drink, you gotta take the plug out before trying to crank it over.

I have the unfortunate experience of sinking a few 2 stroke sleds into a lake with my cousin...
We pulled the plugs, flipped them over and cranked for a few minutes, threw some premix down the intakes and cranked that through. Plugs back in and good to go.
This was after we dragged them back to the shop mind you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you take the plug(s) out to drain the water from the cylinder?

https://youtu.be/F33nZpWGLvY

https://youtu.be/MCsJqpiVBOI

Dad took his sled out to a friend's Pond some years ago to do some water skipping. Once the friend got on the sled it ended up at the bottom of the drink somehow LOL did much the same pulled plugs, sprayed out water. Had it back together and running again and going across the pond maybe an hour later. That said once we got it back to the shop we had to replace all the light bulbs and the chain case oil as it was full of water.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^^ brilliant - not sure who's having more fun, the guy on the sled or the guy filming him!

Ha, I went to the fiche on the KLR and it doesn't show a snorkel and there is a vent tube on the bottom of the air box that if it doesn't have a check valve would become a drinking straw to fill the air box. so I wouldn't cross anything too deep LOL.

I can say from my experience of running a uni foam pod on an xr200 that I got significant splash in it just from the back tire. Maybe not enough to cause issue, but I'm kinda edgy about having mud show up on the filtering agent on a bike built to endure being way out there. And that happened just from a few 6-8" deep splashes and riding in the rain a bit. On one occasion I'm certain it sucked some water in and ran badly since I found mud inside the filter after a run at an ohv trail. Maybe 12" deep maximum water. Then on the same bike, I later refitted the stock box and snorkel, and crossed a puddle so deep the front end was bobbing like a river crossing in an old western movie. After that, I found mud in the airbox also. But, funny thing about design is that the mud was in the low end of the box and able to drain the water out thru the weep hole, while the filter was high and dry up over the step.

So depending on where you wanna ride, the air box delete may work great, but I'd definitely keep an eye on the inside of the filter too, just in case it starts showing dirt

Good call man - like always I'll be listening to advice I'm getting from you guys who have been at this a lot longer than me.

Just to clarify - I won't be removing the airbox itself, just the snorkel that snakes inside it. With the snorkel thing removed, the air intake is still at the same height it was before, and as far as I can tell all that will happen is that more air will be drawn through the box and into the carb. The mouth of the intake itself is protected by the side cover and lies on a horizontal axis - I'm told removing the snorkel will result in a slight whistling noise, but hopefully that'll be more than covered up by my hollering as I tear strips off the Quebec countryside.

That's what I thought and was going to ask. should be ok, may get a little more dust and stuff in but the plate and filter should catch it.

since were posting crazy vids of vehicles that shouldnt be on water on water..... go to 2:20 for the madness to start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDi9uFcD7XI

doc_rot said:
since were posting crazy vids of vehicles that shouldnt be on water on water..... go to 2:20 for the madness to start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDi9uFcD7XI

That’s cheating
But still insane what a few mods will do to a bike.

^^ Damn. He beat me to it. I was planning the same stunt at the local leisure pool. My fat mate was going to take a header off the high board and I’d surf his bow wave on the KLR.

Back to the drawing board.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom