1977 BMW R100/7 Sarcoplasmic Cow Hellride

Re: 1977 BMW R100/7 Miles Von Muncher Hellride

Wow bud, you got balls of solid rock. Impressed.

I was thinking of trying the same only w hot glue. The K tank is aluminum.
and my dents ARE NOT near what you had.

Good show man.

Wow, great job fixing up that tank, nicely done! I may have to give that a try on my XL250 tank if I can trust my welding skill not to burn right through the tank. Thanks for posting the method.

1977 BMW R100/7 Miles Von Muncher Hellride

bd45c3e36e01756788e5d59c22a4d69b.jpg

Fresh Bing carburetors.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Nice dude. Tank looks baller. I too am afraid to weld studs onto my good XL350 tank. Brazing is easier but I don't have a torch anymore. Maybe I will try the hot glue.

1977 BMW R100/7 Miles Von Muncher Hellride

These Bosch coils are hella durable. Amazingly, they still work...
34353950bad961a05d5b63ee4767eac4.jpg

A service, paint and rebuild on the starter. Spec on the commutator is 33mm, but I'm at 32.5mm. I went ahead and chucked it up on the lathe and cleaned it with fine sand paper and scotchbrite. I'll run it anyway. I replaced the four brushes and both brass bushings. DB Electric has a $58 starter, which is $220 less than the Valeo. I ordered the DB and I will just run this one to death. I'm lacking on pics...
989d1288fc8ae4222d1e4fe39c32ee15.jpg

88ae64b337f5ad378c09184aec7d40af.jpg

Just making sure you know. When working on a commutator of any kind and/or seating brushes. Only use flint paper, never anything w aluminum oxide.
Because its on its last legs anyways. If you did use something other than flint. It will get you by.

trek97 said:
Just making sure you know. When working on a commutator of any kind and/or seating brushes. Only use flint paper, never anything w aluminum oxide.
Because its on its last legs anyways. If you did use something other than flint. It will get you by.
I used scotchbrite on the commutator. I don't think there's aluminum oxide in scotchbrite. I was speaking generally about the armature, commutator and shaft.

Edit: Nevermind. Scotchbrite has Alox, which is a trade name for a variation of aluminum oxide. hmmm. That DB Electric starter will be here before this hits the road. Maybe that goes straight in.

irk miller said:
I used scotchbrite on the commutator. I don't think there's aluminum oxide in scotchbrite. I was speaking generally about the armature, commutator and shaft.

Edit: Nevermind. Scotchbrite has Alox, which is a trade name for a variation of aluminum oxide. hmmm. That DB Electric starter will be here before this hits the road. Maybe that goes straight in.

It'll be fine. Til its not. Then make the change. Just wear quicker (arcing)...and since its mostly gone anyway. Use her up. Its not like its spinning all day everyday...Like a fan motor or other.

Irk, my DB starter for the GL has been excellent you should be happy with it. they are way less pricey than anything else and quality seems great so far.

Maritime said:
Irk, my DB starter for the GL has been excellent you should be happy with it. they are way less pricey than anything else and quality seems great so far.
Thanks, Mike. Yeah, that's where I got the idea from. Murray recommended them for the GL. They aren't serviceable like the Bosch or Valeo, but at $58 just throw them away and buy a new one. A lot of forum guys buy two and carry a spare for long hauls.

canyoncarver said:
That one doesn't have a kickstarter?
No kickstarter after 73. Like a Bug, it bump starts pretty easily in 2nd gear.

It's raining starters... and cheap...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 5.12.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 5.12.07 PM.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 751
Back
Top Bottom