my bobber build

mrkil

Coast to Coast
well i love building whether it's cars, bikes or otherwise
so i picked up a basket case from my buddy $350 for a complete xs650 with papers

here's what i'm starting with

in the car
Picture003.jpg

unloaded
Picture004.jpg

my buddy is going to glass bead the top end

did some work on the front wheel
i'll be dropping it off to dr j for truing

before
Picture003Small-1.jpg

after
Picture001Small-2.jpg

relaced
Picture005Small-1.jpg

well the weather was nice today on my first day off so it was time to break out the sawzall
:thumbsup:

toolSmall.jpg

a little surgery and ......

choppedSmall.jpg

now it's time to take the halves to the shop for some welding

yougetitSmall.jpg

anyways more to come later
just polishing the forks and rear rim

Cool! Is that a TCB Choppers hard tail? I might be doing the same to my next 650 (it's in the garage waiting for me to finish all my other projects).

it is the tc brothers

300 total shipped to my door. it's a really nice peice and well worth it

Looks like a good project. Is that a standard wheel base or is it stretched? Also, what do you have planned for this baby? Wheels look killer!

3" stretch and once installed should be 5" of ground clearance

i'm planning on something similar to this
lens2354124_1230588467killer-old-school-bobber-xs650-6969.jpg

using window bars
and Ardcore long shot pipes

Looking forward to seeing the frame put together - do you have someone to do the welding? You want that done RIGHT!

yes the frame has gone off to a fab shop where a friend of mine works.

last thing i'm goin cheap on is my frame ;)

btw my tank came in today
vintage steel coffin tank ;D

tankSmall.jpg

So when the time comes to do mine, you're saying you have a friend who'll do the welding for me? SWEET! ;)

JK but would be good to have someone do the work who knows how to weld a frame. Haven't ordered my hard tail yet. Did you get nailed for taxes when it hit the border?

it was only 15 bucks at the door when canada post arrived

i'll ask my buddy and let you know what they would want to do another frame, once they finish mine

When you get the frame done make sure you grind off all the extra tabs (decide where you want your points - you probably want to get rid of the big plate if you're using a coffin tank mounted high on the top tube) and get rid of the steering stem lock on the steering tube. It's ugly.

My 650 build thread has pics of my frame as I cleaned it off.

www.dotheton.com/?topic=448

thanks tim

when i get the frame back it will be freshly blasted and i'll give it a quick seal with some paint
then i'll be grinding off what i don't need

and there sure is alot of grinding to do ;)

frame is done just needs either powdercoat or epoxy paint haven't decided yet

before sandblasting

SSPX0162.jpg

and after sandblasting

SSPX0164.jpg

i've decided on the coulur
black with metal flake green with purple pin striping maybe a bit of gilding

Awesome job on the frame. I really like how they did it. Let the fun begin!

Hook me up with your welder - is that a jig they put in to keep things straight when welding on the tail?

I'll order my TCB tail and get my frame over to your guy - keep the jig.

Let me know if you want a good powdercoating outfit in the Etobicoke area. I've used them a few times, including on my XS650 cafe build.

Hey Tim, On the bottom they matched the new frame rails in front of the piece that runs vertical (it has the rear motor mounts). The jig/bracing is used so that the rest of the old frame could be cut away. And it holds everything together so it can be welded. Works really slick because I think it just bolts to the motor mounts and should be able to be used again.

yeah we built that brace to hold everything straight once we cut off the lowers, because otherwise the whole thing will spring apart.

i'll talk to my buddy about getting yours done tim, it shouldn't be a problem :)

well tim
i had a quick chat with my buddy, and he said the shop really doesn't want to get into the liability concerns of building for customers

they did mine as a favor for a friend kind of thing

sorry about that

not much of an update
but i finally got the tank i wanted
hap jones peanut and it fits like a glove

SNB13231small.jpg

Wow that really is a perfect fir for your frame, nice work. I HATE an ill-fitting tank, but this one delivers.

Back
Top Bottom