1972 CL100 S?

Don R

Here's my poor abused li'l 100 project. A dumb PO has toasted the stator and rectifier and put in a huge 12 volt halogen headlight socket and a 12 volt taillight bulb. The indicator lights in the speedometer don't work and the turn signals are gone. I'm speculating someone put it on 12 volts. Anyway, it runs until the battery wears down. New Michelin street tires, new 6V battery and a new repro carb.

Welcome to DTT.
Thats a sweet little machine you got there. :) I just inherited one myself, this past spring. Finished pics are on pg 17 of the thread posted below.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65898.0

Also, if your needing the proper manual try this...
http://www.dotheton.com/downloads/Honda%20CB100%20CB125%20CL100%20SL100%20CD125%20SL125%20Workshop.pdf

Welcome, Don. That looks like a nice CL you have there. I'm envious of your sidecover badge.

It's a bummer about the electrical problem. Are you going to undo the 12v business? My '70 seems to be doing fine with the original setup, though I don't ride it at night outside of town. Dan at Re-MX sells 6v bulbs at very reasonable prices, and the generic 6N6-3B battery I bought on Amazon for $14 shipped works great. The cheap battery blew my mind after spending more than 10x that on the last battery for my big bike.

You should post a picture of the Goldwing!

Welcome Don R....nice pipes on there.

Just the one I want for my little CB100.

Electrical......it's a pita......but you'll get it.

Earlier I implied that the 6v headlamp was inadequate for night riding. I hadn't actually tried it, though. Since it's so warm tonight I figured I should give it a shot. It's actually not bad at all! The roads around my cabin are all wooded, so about as dark as they come, but for the speeds you travel on them, the old headlamp lights up the road perfectly well. If it weren't for all the deer I'd still be out riding.

Thanks for the nice welcome,
I'm learning about the 12V conversion and will report anything I can confirm. There's a cb 360 stator ordered already and it's only one state away so I'm hoping it will arrive quickly.
There's an oil leak at the stator cover and the o ring was pinched so I'm guessing I'm following someone else's failed repair attempt.
I wish I had both sidecover emblems, they seem to be impossible to get. I know a guy that makes such things but he would need someone to buy a bunch of them to get a production run.
It's interesting how many parts can be swapped or modified. I just restored a friends JT1 Yamaha Mini enduro The guy that bored it is an old high school buddy so I'm looking into that too.

I enjoyed reading the build threads and pictures of the singles, nice bikes guys. The forum is easier to navigate than the yahoo group too. I'm an old timer over at SOHC4.net

Did you get the 360 stator or the 350? I remember reading somewhere that the 360 stator won't work.

Im not sure bout the 360 stator either.

Ive got all the stuff collected to start the 12v conversion, on my 100. Here in a month or so. Once Im done hunting Whitetails and the weather goes really bad.

I got a resistor to add to the 6v coil, but may end up going w a 12v coil. So, be sure to post details of what your doing.

I read that the 360 stator will also work, it was cheap so I figured worth buying just to try. We'll know soon. The 350 four stator is different for sure.
Someone speculated the 350 rotor might be needed to get the most out of it but that was just talk, We have no info that it would fit or would be an improvement.
I could check part numbers to see if they are the same.

The 360 stator is nestled tightly into the 100 engine, I need to swap the rubber plug and extend the wiring which was cut off by the PO. I need to thread the wires through the plug anyway. There are the same color 3 wires as the 100 stator so my plan is to rewire it back into the harness. I believe the 360 uses the same wiring plan as the 100 except for electric start and the 100's lack of a voltage regulator of course.
My concern is the 100 stator has a foot that holds the plastic part of the cam chain tensioner in place. The 360 stator has a bulged spot that may do that task, it's difficult to see but tomorrow I'll take some pictures.

The 100 stator has a metal foot that locates the plastic cam chain tensioner. I'm hoping the bulk of the 360 part will do the job in absence of the foot bracket.

I have the stator swapped in and wired to the cl100 plug, I'm expecting a $40 rec/reg any time now and my parts order from Thailand.
If I knew the 360 rotor swapped in I might do that but I'm also concerned with the weight of it too.
I've been checking out the 125 cylinder and piston sets on ebay. Apparently there's a Chinese clone motor too that fits. I knew they made them for the forward cylinder bikes. I've been told the 100 case may have to be bored to fit the late model 125 cylinder.

The big thing I'd love to find is the battery side (left) cover's CL100 emblem. I have a cover on the way but no emblem.

Don R said:
The big thing I'd love to find is the battery side (left) cover's CL100 emblem. I have a cover on the way but no emblem.

It's not exactly a steal, but here's one on eBay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HONDA-CL100-CL100S-LEFT-SIDE-COVER-EMBLEM-BADGE-P-N-87125-108-791-/181935884128?nav=SEARCH

Thanks, I bought it.
I have the repop turn signals working and the reg/rec is wired in except the voltage sensing wire. I need to add a connection to a black switched wire. The Headlight is way to big it's like 45/60 watts, I need to find an H4 that's 35W at least on low.

I also bought a set of repro sidecovers for a cb125 just to get the left one. They're candy red and beautiful. It'll be a shame to paint the left one. The right won't fit on a cl but I have that one. So, if anyone needs a right side cb125 cover I've got an extra.

I got the wiring buttoned up except some straightening and insulating, the turn signals don't blink even with a different blinker but at least they come on. Once I get a battery in it and make sure it still runs and the charging system works this project is ready for a rest. I'll do the paint later in the year.

Not yet, I sort of forgot the coil. I've got some old resistors from a 6 volt car I converted in 1969. I may put one in line ahead of the coil. I'm going to check the ohms of the 6 volt and the GM single coil I have too.
The PO cut out the headlight reflector for a halogen 55/65 watt bulb I went ahead and put it in, the parts stores don't stock 35W bulbs. and small sockets don't fit now.

Remembering the 6v coil on my CL100 read 1.8 ohms. Ide have to look but I think the math worked out for a 25w, 2ohm resistor.

On the 750's the 5 ohm coils are stock, 3 ohms are hot aftermarket and can suck the battery dry. Hmmm, someone tried the GM coils but they used too much juice, this might call for a trip to the shop.

I ordered an XTAX4HL-BS gel battery it was listed in the yahoo forum as fitting the battery box when on it's end. $38 marked down to $8 with $6 shipping IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom