Ace 50 - does anyone own one??

markm3

Hi Everyone
A query from NZ - I've been looking at getting a daily commuter (as well as being a weekend toy) and have been admiring the ACE at the local NZ importer. For a number of reasons I'm looking particularly at the ACE 50 but most people seem to prefer the 125. I understand that entirely as most people like the extra power and speed especially once a few mods have been done. However, it's the 50 I'm keen on at this stage.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone on here that has a 50 and done any mods to get a bit more performance out of them. I'd just like to get an idea of people's experiences with them.

I've really enjoyed reading some of the threads and seen what people have done to their ACE's - taking an already cool wee bike and made them that much cooler.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark, suuscustoms has a thread running that is all about his Ace 50.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55869.0

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, that was the first thread I read on here. I just thought there might be a few more than 2 or 3 people who own a 50.
Mark

I'm sure you're right Crazy

I think there should be more Kiwis riding Ace's and contributing on the Skyteam board.

Once I get mine I'll be happy to be the first.

We've got an entire section dedicated to NZ :) Not very active but there are folks there.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=56.0

markm3 said:
Once I get mine I'll be happy to be the first.

... Hi Mark, did you end up getting the 50 ? and what colour did you go for ?

Can't wait to see your pics of your bike.

When I was looking for my Ace, I was initially attracted to the 50, black frame + black engine ... minimalist look, light weight, etc. But was told it's very, very underpowered in stock form and made it somewhat dangerous for me if it wasn't able to at least keep up with the freeway/motorway traffic (I had to ride back along it, from the shop after pick up). Modifying the 50 would bring it close to the 125 cost, so for the little extra $'s, I decided on the 125 instead. On the freeway home, it saw me achieving 90+ easily, and even got up to 110'ish on flat sections with a slight down slope.

Haz.

Hi Haz

Still working on getting the bike which includes prying open the Better Half's death grip on the wallet.

The reason I'm looking at the 50cc is that, in NZ, it only needs to be registered as a moped and doesn't need a Warrant of Fitness. That means a few things - first it's a cost saving, second I don't need a motorcycle license to ride it just a car license, and thirdly I can make a few mods without requiring it to be certified for the mods (what they don't know won't hurt them right?).

I've also had a handful of 50cc bikes in the past and want to maintain the tradition plus I plan on using it it primarily as a daily rider to work and won't be doing speeds in excess of 60-70kph so don't really need the extra ponies of a 125.

The bikes in NZ so far all have the orange/red frame and, having riden a 50cc they are definitely underpowered stock standard. There's a few pretty simple things that can be done to get (apparently) an extra 10kph or so out of them, most of which are the same as for the 125 which is all well documented on here.

I'll keep you posted on progress. Any suggestions on how to release a death grip would be appreciated.

markm3 said:
Still working on getting the bike which includes prying open the Better Half's death grip on the wallet.

Any suggestions on how to release a death grip would be appreciated.

Ahhh ... the 'ol Minister of War and Finance ... don'tcha love them ? hehe ...

Haz

Hey Markm, another kiwi here, in Christchurch. Have you got the bike yet?

I am hoping to get MC Downunder to order me in a black framed, black engined 125 and the factory chrome exhaust. And I will tweak it further. Been watching these threads too. Users are now recording their mods on the spreadsheet below. Still only two 50's on there and one of them converted to 72cc. I think MC Downunder has sold one 50cc and a few 125s and all have been red frames so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al1LNMJQkZqydE1YZHVpV2RoOGJQVmpkT1ZKMVozSlE#gid=0

To respond to the question at the start the 50cc will do 40mph/64kph top speed with new jets, restriction removed from the manifold and exhaust and a 125cc rear wheel cog, HOWEVER because of the offset of the rear cog on the 50cc you either need to change the offset of the rear wheel or get a custom made cog with an offset to match the 50cc one as the 125cc one is flat.

Hey guys!

Laszlo here, from Norway! I`m glad i found this forum, lots of useful information shared! I would like to ask a question from those of you, who are good mechanics(probably everyone else here, but me)! I bought a 50 cc Ace today, and hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow. The guy managed to convince me to buy the exhaust pipe for the 125 cc version(silver), saying that it would fit, and would result in a slightly better performance. What i noticed was that the 125 version is missing this additional part (i`m not even sure what to call it, i circled it on the pic) that the 50cc version has. The guy said he didn`t know what was the device it led to, and said it`s unecessary for the engine to function. I belived him, but when i got home, i wanted to see how other people tuned they 50ccs, and i was surprised to see that part on the exhaust pipe hasn`t changed on any of their bikes?? What do youguys think? Any suggestions? Should i call it off and just have it delivered with the stock(black) pipe? Any opinion is well appriciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• ace copy.jpg
    ace copy.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,149
Hi there!
Eller, hei! :)

What you have circled is a sort of EGR-valv. In fact it is a vacuum valve that feeds some fresh air into the exhaust every time your engine completes a revolution. You really don't need it. Its only there to make the engine pass Co-emission control. Somehow I think your only problem with the stainless exhaust will be fitting it. As far as I know the 125cc and 50cc exhausts can't be swapped. You must also be sure to plug the feed from the intake manifold, as not to have "false" air screwing up your fuel/air mix.

Kind regards!

Stian

Hei Stian!

Thanks for the quick answer!

In the meantime i got hold of the dude and he says he`s got an exaust pipe for the 50cc as well. Probably misunderstood him...Anyways that will probably look the same, so that emission thingee will be disabled. Oh boy! Can`t wait for tomorrow!

Cheers!

Laszlo

The first thing you should do, is to remove the restriction in the intake manifold. Just unscrew the four hex bolts (two in each end) and use a screwdriver and a hammer to knock the restrictor out of the manifold and put it back in place. Good luck with your new ride! ;)

The 50cc and 125cc exhausts are very different!

The EGR valve (or whatever it is) connection is to the head on the 125, rather than the header pipe itself.

Either way, it is an unnecessary complication.

Crazy

I have recently received mine (took 5 months!), and calling it slow is an understatement. Pleasently surprised by the grunty sound though! On Sunday I will perform some modifications to it, and hopefully that will make it driveable :)

Back
Top Bottom