ACE 50 - Intro and need help

xristianos

Hi everyone. My name is Chris from Adelaide, SA. Recently purchased an Ace 50. Reason being that it was for commute to and from University. It's currently struggling to hit 50 km/h so I have a few things in order to try and rectify that. Just want it to stay above 60 km/h.

Anyways, the help part. The bike was purchase secondhand with only 800 kms. I'm new to bike tinkering so bear with me... (car tinkering on the other hand, i have few years on :) )

Firstly, the indicators are not flashing. I have checked the globes and none have blown so after some asking around in FB, most likely culprit is the flasher can.Whereabouts can I find thi part in the bike? Is it underneath the seat or the fuel tank? Is there anyone who can point me in the direction of a replacement (preferably in Aus) that is better than a Skyteam brand?

Second is the gears, it seems a struggle to find neutral when stopping at lights and I noticed that the plastic piece in the connecting the rod to the gear pedal has, somewhat, small cracks. Again, is there a better alternative for this part? I don't really want to be having to replace parts over and over again..

Hey mate, I'm in Adelaide also. Theres a few other local members here. I've got a Ace 125 that I just started riding... fairly new to bikes too.

For parts I have used the Australian distributor. Great service and fast shipping.

WAMI MOTORCYCLES
Customer Service: 08 9302 2922
wamimotorcycles@iinet.net.au
Unit 7/9 Inspiration Drive, Wangara Western Australia 6065
wamimotorcycles@iinet.net.au
http://www.ikonikmoto.com.au

Not sure where the flasher is, would have to check tomorrow, according to my wiring diagram in the manual it has Black and Gray wires going to it.

As for the gear pedal... have some issues finding neutral also. Sometimes the box wont gear down any more until you release the clutch and engage the gears, then gear down again. I think the trick is to gear down before stopping.

bongoAce said:
For parts I have used the Australian distributor. Great service and fast shipping.

As for the gear pedal... have some issues finding neutral also. Sometimes the box wont gear down any more until you release the clutch and engage the gears, then gear down again. I think the trick is to gear down before stopping.

Both these statements are true!

The gearbox seems to improve over time.

Crazy

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll give them a call and see what happens.

Another question is, how hard is it to strip down the bike(wanting to powdercoat the frame)?

Also, ehat replacement are people using for the foot pegs? They are way too floppy and would prefer stationary ones rather than folding(if at all possible)

It seems, they're won't be an original part left in this bike once all is done. :)

Thanks again.

Chris

I'm using Tarozzi pegs, but it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar!

item.JPG

Crazy

As an update, what Bongo said is correct about the flasher relay. Black and Gray wires. Can be found underneath the tank, on top of the standard battery tray. It is a 2 pin rectangular relay. Both Tridon and Narva have a replacement for standard and another for use with LED indicators. I purchased the Narva and all is well.

Tridon - EP12
Narva - 68232BL

Will now look into replacing the gear shifter/rear brake pedal with aftermarket if I can find some as there is a bit of play with it. It seems you need to depress real hard on the rear brake pedal to trigger the rear brake light...

Hi Chris, I have Yamaha R6 pillion footrests on my Ace. If you are having to press hard on the rear brake pedal to light brake light then all you have to do is adjust the switch by screwing down the plastic nut on the brake light switch until you are happy with it's action.
Re, - new rims along with tyres, I have found no problems with std ones. Also balancing them won't make a lot of difference as with them being so light once you brake hard they will be out of balance due to tyre wear.
Tad

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 503
Hi Tad,

Thanks for the heads up about the black plastic nut. Unfortunately, the black nut on mine can not move either up or down as it is sitting in the hole loosely and in an angle. The threads are not holding it in place plus the wire guide/holder welded into the frame right above it stops it from going up if screwed. I pretty much just shortened the spring by cutting and bending it.

As for the balancing of the new tyres with the rims, it is included in the pricing (fitting and balancing) of the local tyre retailer. Realistically though, I was not worried about the rims but more for the look (using a modern wheel design and [perhaps dropping an inch on wheel size - R17). If this was not feasible (in a straightforward and affordable way), part of the plan would include powder coating the current rims.

Below is a pic for my inspiration (color scheme) :D

tl-horizontal_main_2x

;D received an early morning delivery today..

:( Unfortunately, the fork oils have either leaked or cracked and was no longer full.

Nice delivery - I just ordered some parts from ooracing yesterday - meant to arrive in Adelaide on friday! Hopefully just in time for the weekend. I got the quick throttle, a disk brake (mine is bent) and the 150cc upgrade :D

How long did yours take to get here? What other goodies did you get?

Package was sent :eek: on the 23rd - arrived early morning the 28th(today) via UPS. According to UPS, it will be delivered on the 29th. Go figure.

I may have overcapitalised on a 50cc bike. ::)

A few days ago, received new headlight, tail light and alloy grips from third gear. The grips had cuts on it, so they're sending me a new pair.

With this pack, I've got shocks, brake upgrades(front and rear), fork upgrade kit, dual Koso clocks, switch gear set, clip on bars and ignition mount.

I'm still waiting on BB tuning kit, tommaselli qt grips, Cush drive bolts and bushes, adjustable lever set, braided brake line, 2 set of mirrors(1 bar end, 1 standard), set of indicators, 35mm k&n filter, and ht plug cap to go with the spark plug.

Locally, got a set of metzeller me55 tyres waiting as I was planning on powdercoating the wheels but the powdercoaters don't have that dull gold color (like the calipers) in stock. They said at least 2 weeks and still iffy if they find some. I might have to rethink my color scheme( gold frame/black bits to something else). Maybe red frame/black bits (probably most cost effective) Spoke to a few guys about a custom exhaust. Nothing set yet. Awaiting for the big bore kit to arrive and be installed. Thinking about relocating battery behind the seats then cleaning up and redoing the electricals wires...

Trying to find some aftermarket rearsets to fit and that should be it

:-\ I think I may have gotten a bit excited. ;D

stroker crazy said:
You can't overcapitalise fun!

Crazy

That is so true. And hopefully down the line, when everything is done and I have mastered the art of riding a 50cc (get sick of struggling uphill) ;D - I can do a 250cc transplant.

On a side note, I'm a little disappointed with OORacing.

I sent them an email informing them that I have received the package and told them about the leaked oil. Their reply was that I try to tip whatever was spilled in the resealable bag back into the plastic bottles and then pour the oils evenly between the 2.

One would consider that the error of a leaking bottle was either caused by improper tightening of the cap or freight issues. Either way, not really my fault.

After spending a considerable amount of money on their site, good customer service would dictate that they at least offer to send me another bottle/half a bottle to top it off. I doubt it would be of considerable expense - plus the fact that I have another order with them, awaiting fulfillment so they do not even have to pay for postage.

My 2 cents. Left a sour taste...... :-\

leaking oil was more than likely caused by air freight problems with presurisation in cargo hold. happens a lot . once unloaded a bottle of liquid from a cargo hold and it split covering three blokes head to foot smurf blue. What made it worse was it was unlabelled so a trip to the hospital was necessary ..turned out we were covered with blue die used to stain grass for signage on football oval(ami stadium/footy park). Wine bottles also smash in cargo for the same reason.

pete

also take the big chunk of ally in the intake manifold out..might help it breathe..if you go back through some of the 50cc topics you will find a photo of what i am on about..has a big aluminium bung in it with a tiny hole in the middle of it . piss this bung off

Hi Pete,

Yes, I have heard of Redline and will be chatting to them soon. The PO already removed the bung. :) :)

Update:

Cleaned up the front for now. Removed the gaiters. Have chopped up the front fender but is not ready yet. I'm still shaping it then painting. Changed over the clocks. Trial fitted the clip-ons but still using the old switch gears and grips.

Only have issue with the relocation of ignition barrel. The hole is too small to insert the ignition barrel on the part I purchased from OORacing..

the metzlers will help a lot.. I'm running michelin m45s and am well impressed. once it breathes ok it will be time to change gearing. play with front cog. no offset on this cog but rear is stepped and may be hard to get.. marion trade centre on marion rd has a great tyre shop, gc motorcycles.. not sure what end of town you are...im south.

I'm a westy. Yes, old GC motorcycles, now DC motorcycles. He's the guy that I spoke to about the wheels as they are closest to Edwardstown powdercoaters when I inquired about colors available.

Back
Top Bottom