CB400 project finally finished (pretty much)

tomsljr

Been Around the Block
I finally turned this bike over to my brother today, after a long and intermittent build. There are still a few tweaks to be made, like proper length clutch cable and badges on the tank. Unfortunately, they were not big enough issues to keep by brother from taking it home. (Please disregard the blueing on the pipes. Early days tuning mishap) There are a couple old build threads floating around on this bike here, I will post the links later.

Attachments

• DSC_2276.jpg
    DSC_2276.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC_2294.jpg
    DSC_2294.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC_2296.jpg
    DSC_2296.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 631
  • DSC_2307.jpg
    DSC_2307.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 637
  • DSC_2340.jpg
    DSC_2340.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 635
Wow, really nice job there! I do not normally do much postning but this time I had to.

I love every inch of it!

Obviously it wouldn't be everyone's taste, and it's not really mine, but there is no denying that is ONE CLEAN BUILD. The white springs and shock covers really pull it together. Nice work.

Thanks everyone. The idea behind this build was to keep it as light physically and visually as possible. My brother wanted something that would be as at home on the street as it would on a gravel road while keeping two-up capability. Changing to the Mikunis and the 2-1 exhaust pepped it up quite a bit as well. I could have filled two 5 gallon buckets with all the stuff I cut out of this bike. The wiring harness was radically simplified, eliminating all the the old "Park" mode circuits.
As some of you may know, this frame is a complete bastard to deal with. It has a combination of tube and pressed steel elements to deal with. My biggest challenge was how to resolve the subframe shape with the flow of the tank and seat. All things considered, I think it came out OK.
Oh, and here it is the day it came to my shed:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 275
Back
Top Bottom