Obtaining a LEGAL registration for an untitled bike

Last year I did the Vermont registration thing for my Yamaha Chappy. It was very easy and at that time didn't require a VIN check. I bought a two year plate and I think the total cost was about $90. I'll convert it to an Arkansas registration/plate sometime in the future.

When I was considered a "guest of the State of Georgia" due to military assignment, I ran several 72-77 Honda SOHC CB750s and one 50 Harley Davidson through their system. All were given a "99" registration which means no title will be issued. I changed a couple of them to Arkansas title/registration/license since that was my legal residence state.

Yes, the VT process gets you a LEGAL PLATE good for one year.

YOUR state may "require" you to transfer the registration & documentation within a certain time frame.

Cops in YOUR city may want to have a chat with out-of-towners. NOT LIKELY if you are observing all traffic laws.

Texas DOES NOT require insurance to obtain a TITLE, unless you also want a PLATE! (to ride on the street). So, You can get a title and leave the bike in the shed, no insurance needed. OTHER STATES MAY VARY

Redbird said:
But don't you end up with a VT license plate? And if you want it registered/plated in your home state, that will be additional costs?
Around here, having an out of state plate will get you scrutinized by the local PD's. Having an out of state registration/plate and a local home address on your drivers license will cause closer scrutiny and the possibility of fines/penalties for not registering your vehicle with the state you're residing in.

And for the record, I'm not bashing the VT method or anyone else's procedures. Nor am I saying my state was cheaper/easier/etc.
All I was stating was my experience with "Obtaining a LEGAL registration for an untitled bike".

This could be an issue depending on state/Province but I do know you can take the VT reggie and plate in and sacrafice and pay a transfer fee and or tax to get a title/reggie in your home flavour. I'd do it on a bike you got a deal on or really want. I'm looking at doing it on a rare RZ350 LQ I found with lost title. It's almost impossible to get that fixed here but I could do the VT thing then go to the DMV, anything older than 15 years is exempt from import paperwork so I would just surrender the VT plate and reggie and pay the Tax on blue book and 50 bucks transfer fee and be fully legal. Now if I can just sell the CX500 to get the cash. The RZ350 would be 4-5000 if it was titled, but I can get it for 1500 with a Bill of sale and do a VIN check to make sure it isn't stolen or have a lean.

Texas DOES HAVE A SYSTEM for untitled, homebuilt, and scratch-built bikes. You must request a packet (from the local tax assessor/collector's office) with at least a half-dozen forms (and pay a fee) them make an appointment at the local Police Station to have the VIN inspected (and pay a fee), then take pictures, research the value, and fill out all the appropriate paperwork including Bill of Sale and copy of seller's I.D., then send everything off to the regional DMV center. In days past, the local Sheriff's Department used to process the packets and research the 50-state stolen vehicle database in about 2 weeks, now Laredo directs your packet to the Rio Grande Valley center and it takes 90 days. Once the packet comes back (I have to call every other day, they NEVER call me to let me know it has returned), you pay yet another fee, and you get your title in the mail. If you also want a plate, you have to pay for minimum required liability insurance, have the bike inspected at a State Safety Inspection station and pay a fee.

Whew...LOTS of fees...

...and THREE MONTHS PLUS wait time!

When I was living in Texas in the 90s, I built a bitsa bike using a BSA A10 frame, Harley 45 motor and a Triumph transmission. I used the Texas system to get a title, as again I was a "guest of the state" due to military service. I had almost forgotten how much of a hassle it created. In addition to the multitude of forms, I had to have the completed motorcycle inspected twice. Once for the Texas safety program which was easy and again by the Texas Highway Patrol to verify there were no stolen parts. The biggest hassle was the THP inspector wanted receipts or bills of sale for everything, including the wire and inner tubes. Thankfully, he didn't need a receipt for the air in the tires. I had to make three trips to satisfy him.

grandpaul said:
I never said I was creating a counterfeit form.

I created a LETTERHEAD with the EXACT CONTACT INFORMATION and logo for the inspector, who runs a very small shop and HAS NO LETTERHEAD, or need of one, until this VT application required one. He gave me permisssion to do so, so it is IN NO WAY illegitimate.

All the form states, is that HIS company is certified, and HE is licensed to conduct vehicle inspection for the state, and includes his certification number. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ILLEGAL.

ALL of this is IN ADDITION TO the VT form that requires the actual VIN be filled in by the inspector after visually verifying it, and the inspector also signs the VT form.

I see, that makes now. It would have made even more sense without the needless capitals (I'm dyslexic and that shizzle makes stuff hard to read first go).

The Limey said:
It would have made even more sense without the needless capitals.
I never mean to offend when I type in CAPS, nor am I "yelling" as the idiotic snowflakes seem to think these days; I am used to using caps to EMPHASIZE what I'm getting at in the context.

grandpaul said:
Cops in YOUR city may want to have a chat with out-of-towners. NOT LIKELY if you are observing all traffic laws.
Well OBVIOUSLY not if you're observing traffic laws. But doing something BORDERLINE that would get a local a simple verbal "knock it off" will get an OUT OF TOWNER pulled over and checked out. Finding a LOCAL resident with a vehicle not registered to their local RESIDENCE can result in further FINES and PENALTIES.

Thanks for CLARIFYING my PLATE and TRANSFER questions. CARRY ON ;)

I figure I may as well add to this:

In Tennessee any vehicle over 30 years old OR valued under 3000 you just have to fill out a certificate of ownership form at the county clerk's office. Basically you're legally saying that you own the bike/car/rv and that it's not stolen. You give a reason for the lack of title (previous owner did not have one works fine). Pay sales tax on the purchase price and Bob's your uncle you get a title in the mail in a few weeks.

Here's the form:
https://secure.tncountyclerk.com/forms/Certification_of_Ownership_Application.pdf

I've done this at least 20 times, no issues.
The person behind the desk is unlikely to be aware of this, so you'll likely need to bring the second page of that form and explain it to them.

SONIC. said:
...and Bob's your uncle...

Off topic, but I've heard this before and never really knew what it meant, so for anyone else, here you go and Bob's your uncle!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Redbird said:
Well OBVIOUSLY not if you're observing traffic laws. But doing something BORDERLINE that would get a local a simple verbal "knock it off" will get an OUT OF TOWNER pulled over and checked out. Finding a LOCAL resident with a vehicle not registered to their local RESIDENCE can result in further FINES and PENALTIES.

Thanks for CLARIFYING my PLATE and TRANSFER questions. CARRY ON ;)
So, TRANSFER TO YOUR STATE if you are worried.

DONE.

grandpaul said:

DONE.

Obtaining a legal TITLE from the state where you actually reside using the VT registration may not be possible.

check your DMV first

DeanJ said:
Obtaining a legal TITLE from the state where you actually reside using the VT registration may not be possible.

check your DMV first
I already stated that VERY clearly...

(more than once)

(and in CAPS!)

grandpaul said:

DONE.
NO worries HERE.
I obtained A legal REGISTRATION for MY untitled BIKE in THE state THAT i RESIDE in MANY years AGO (as stated, only once though, and not in caps) ;)

Back
Top Bottom