CB650 bratstyle a little more done, more to do.

Re: CB650 bratstyle

medium cats eye no bracket,black/amber oval front and rear with black lt. weight headlight ears. thanks for asking

Ray, nice work mate.

Your bike just has this awesome squat stance and looks as tough as nails.

I have to admit that I usually like cafe's that have had the airbox removed, however, they really do suit your build especially in the red.

Nice one!

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com.au/

Wow! Thanks for the kind words Steve. Hopefully,without trying to sound pandering that means a lot considering the quality of your build. The reason for no pods is the Keihins supposedly run like crap w/o an air box. I hear they run okay with velocity stacks but where I live it's pretty dry and dusty. And, there is still plenty of Mt.St.Helens ash in spots.I remember plenty of cars and trucks on the bad end of tow trucks because of what that shit did to rings. I'd eventually like to build an 79 or 80 motor with the earlier carbs.With that motor,do the 750cc piston big bore kit,have the cams/followers welded/reground to a hotted up profile,and a Mac 4-1(all black).The earlier carbs would allow that to happen because I could rejet those. Again thanks for the positive feedback.

Got my lights today,maybe I can get her on the road before the tabs run out!LOL! Thanks DCC!

Attachments

• 102_1165.JPG
    102_1165.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 271

Well, almost got her done some of the stuff I did,i did because waiting on payday. Y'know how it goes.Anyway, the back plate thw taillight is mounted on will be different, and I'm gonna mount the rear turn signals inboard of the shocks. Now i gotta figure out why she's blowing main fuses. I went from turn signals/clearance lights up front to just turn signals.Do I need to do something with the additional wires in the headlight bucket? Hoping to get a shakdown ride on her today,not happening till I get the electrical fixed. Any help will be appriciated.thanks, Ray

Attachments

• 102_1170.JPG
    102_1170.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 102_1168.JPG
    102_1168.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 102_1171.JPG
    102_1171.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 277

i dont mean to just jump into your build thread , but does anyone on here know the widest rear tire i can fit on a stock cb650 ??

and p.s. the bike build is lookin good. mine is pretty much right about where yours is. if you didnt mount your front signals yet i found a good and very easy spot to mount them. i literally just drilled a hole in the sides of the headlight housing. super simple wiring and they look great. just an idea for you

Thanks, went ahead an attached then to the headkight ears,not sure abou the tire size.

I like what you've done with the seat. I would ditch the googly gauges and indicator lights and flip flop your headlight ears to get the light lower.

Going to go with a mini speedometer/no tach when money allows. Will consider the flipping of the headlight ears, and I like having turn signals. Thanks for the input though. So much left to do.

Dude I'm lvin the bike man! Lookin sharp! I might steal the look for my bike! ;D

rays650cafe said:
Going to go with a mini speedometer/no tach when money allows. Will consider the flipping of the headlight ears, and I like having turn signals. Thanks for the input though. So much left to do.

When I said "indicator lights" I didn't meant the turn signals. I have the same signals as you. I meant the idiot lights. One problem with '74+ Hondas is the huge freaking gauges, this is compounded by the even later Hondas that have the idiot lights sticking up between the gauges. Even if you get rid of the gauges you have the idiot light apparatus sticking up a like black plastic erection.

On my CB550 I got a 2.5" speedometer that had the indicator lights built in. This really cleaned up the area above the headlight. It was $68 from Dime City.

It's not like it's detracting from you bike or anything, I just think these changes would kind of "seal the deal" and elevate the bike from awesome to super awesome.

It's cool, I was going to use the same speedo as you. Yeah those light are huge, and other than the oil pressure light, useless.

Well I finally bit the bullet and put pod filters on the old girl. Not an easy task, still got some tuning to do. As far as loosing some mid range torque, check. Now I need to downshift, oh well. I hope to gain some back with a decent tune, the infamous HEI module/ cavalier coil swap, and a slight opening up of the exhaust. Other things I noticed, I will be getting the K&N filters soon. pod filters don't fit really well on Honda 650's. Oh well, I guess I needed to learn for myself. As far as running goes, there's a little loss of mid-range, not as bad as some people say. Maybe their bikes ran like shit to begin with, who knows. All I know is after 7000 rpm she comes alive. Sounds a bit louder too. Beefier, I suppose. Everyone says, 'If you put pod filters on CV carbs you will never get it to run right." Well I'm not sure if it runs right, but it sure do run different. And not in a bad way either. Here's a couple before and after pics to keep the thread alive. Thanks for looking.
Ray.

Attachments

• 102_1355.JPG
    102_1355.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 302
  • pod filter after.JPG
    pod filter after.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 423

Well shit, after riding the hell out of this thing most of the spring and all summer the head gasket seals that had been seeping a little, have finally decided to really start leaking. I was kinda hoping to wait to do this this winter.Oh well. A little update about pod filters on 1981 CV carbs. They run lean. Duh. It also ran to redline in all gears, it wouldn't do this before. So with some advice from members of this forum I went up from 120 fast jets to 128. Runs really smooth, and the plugs are a nice choclate brown. It should be about perfect with some shorty mufflers or a Mac 4-1. It also needs clutch springs and discs, so I think I'll be pulling the motor fixing the stuff that needs fixed,then painting it. I'd like to do some cosmetic stuff too. Clipons, new, more comfortable seat, and a real paint job. No more rattle can paint. Would also like to find another 650 motor to build, with high compression pistons, mega cycle cam,etc. That will have to come later. This has been a evolutionary process. Time for a few more steps.
Thanks for looking.
Ray.

Attachments

• 102_1362.JPG
    102_1362.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 102_1363.JPG
    102_1363.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 316
  • bratstyle 1.JPG
    bratstyle 1.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 658
  • bratstyle 2.JPG
    bratstyle 2.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 818
Well, got rid of my cheap ass, clubman bar and got myself some clipons. I like them, although now I am considering a wiring job to move the fusebox off the top of the tripple. Gonna order new gauges from DCC. Not sure if I want the 1.9 inchers ir the 2.5 inch speedo and tach. I like the size of the 1.9, but I also like having a trip meter and indicator lights. 1.9 inch w/ tripmeter would be nice.... Also got my top end gasket kit too, just need to get the bike indoors to do up the stuff I want to do to the motor. Hopefully before sping hits. ;D
Now that I've posted the pictures, smaller headlight probablt should be on my list too.

Attachments

• 102_1369.JPG
    102_1369.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 102_1368.JPG
    102_1368.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 325
Back
Top Bottom