1983 XV500 Cafe Racer

Not done much today, had jobs around the house to do. I have scored a datum line down the headstock as a reference when I come to weld it.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,850
This is great! And as has been said, ambitious! Did you ever think about trying the stock original wheel in the GSXR forks? That alone looks like it would have raised the front of your bike 2"!

Karlloss said:
I machined it from a new piece of round stock. Boring it out was quite difficult on a small ML7 lathe, very slow and time consuming. The internal bore isn't as smooth as I'd like, but as no one will ever see it, its not an issue. The bearing seats are good though.

One thing I did find out, I have two sets of the same bearings from the same supplier, however one outer race is slightly smaller, which means that it in future if bearing replacements are needed, bearing fit adhesive might need to be applied as I machined the bearing seats to the larger size. Not an issue for me, but does highlight the difference in tolerances even on 'precision' items.
I can feel your pain, that would have taken a LONG time, still looks the ducks nuts mate

papercutout said:
This is great! And as has been said, ambitious! Did you ever think about trying the stock original wheel in the GSXR forks? That alone looks like it would have raised the front of your bike 2"!

Ah, no I didn't even consider putting the stock wheel in the GSXR forks. Probably because I had a vision of spoked wheels in my head. It's shit or bust now, as the original frame has been cut beyond repair.

yep for sure. I've purchased a rear spoked wheel from a XV535 which is a direct fit. Having said that its a 15inch rim, whereas I want a 17inch. Getting a new wheel built seems expensive here in the UK.

Tac-welded the headstock onto the frame spine today. Was a bit nervous, but heated it all up and then bit the bullet and went for it. Turned out ok.............I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    890.8 KB · Views: 444
Then mocked it up with wheels and all. I need to level the machine and double check alignments before I final weld the headstock. I'm pleased with it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 434
I have no idea how to add a series of pictures in one post!

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 442
looking good.

on the pics, I've recently discovered that when they're uploaded as attachments instead of linked from a hosting site they are sometimes shown sideways until a viewer clicks on them to see the full size image where it shows up in correct orientation.

Thanks. And thanks for the picture advice.

Slow day today, stripped the wiring loom down, just gotta love the previous owner's modifications to the loom!!

Managed to get into the garage today, although not a very successful day, I managed to shear off one of the exhaust flange studs, even after heating it up prior to remove it. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 443
On a more positive note, I started work on the rear wheel. The XV500 has mag wheels as standard, however it's my intention to have spoke wheels on this build, so I acquired a rear wheel off a XV535. The rim is totally rusted, however the XV500 uses a 16inch rear, whilst the XV535 uses a 15inch rear, my plan is to use a 17inch rim front and rear, giving me more tyre choice.

The best way to remove rusted spokes is to soak the nipples in WD40 or similar overnight and then ease the nipples off one at a time. Bollox to that, an angle grinder sorts the problem in minutes!

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 424
Great work so far, especially welding the head of the frame. Have you checked the alignment? Most people build a simple frame jig when they chop their frames.

As for broken studs, the method I use when they break in the meanest possible way is ..... nitric acid 8) It works like a charm, eats steel and leaves aluminum without damage.

Back
Top Bottom