1976 GMC Motorhome

It was a frustrating 5 hours. Wind was from west to east at ~30 and we were heading due north. The few times we turned east or west it was great, then we'd turn back north and i'd want to just run it into a pole ;D

SONIC. said:
It was a frustrating 5 hours. Wind was from west to east at ~30 and we were heading due north. The few times we turned east or west it was great, then we'd turn back north and i'd want to just run it into a pole ;D

Better suspension and bags will help a bunch to keep her steady in the wind. Kind of a sweet spot between ride and steady ride but maybe someone has a formula... like weight plus wheel base X height = 1210000

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Better suspension and bags will help a bunch to keep her steady in the wind. Kind of a sweet spot between ride and steady ride but maybe someone has a formula... like weight plus wheel base X height = 1210000

The suspension is already air. Adjusting does help and it's okay in a steady crosswind, its just when it goes from 0-30mph it's a nasty surprise ha. I got good at watching the trees to know when the wind was coming.
But I do need to do some more experimenting to get the ride exactly where I want it.

gmc-sisp.jpg

Due west of Indy here in east central Illinois. There were 13 Vehicles involved in 5 separate accidents and local high school kid was killed. Because of the wind. It was bad.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-05-17/mahomet-seymour-student-killed-douglas-county-wreck.html

That's actually where I was. The shop is is Casey IL.
I mistakenly said Indy once and don't bother changing it.
Hate to hear that about the kid, that's rough. Thoughts to his family for sure.

You were an hour south of me.

If you let me me know when you plan to pick it up, Rach and would like to meet you and take the tour.

:)

I'll do that!

I don't quite know what to do with myself without having it here to work on

Making Progress!

Turns out the original paint was basically toast and it's having to be stripped alllllll the way down.
I'm actually fine with that though because that means it gets a fresh start and everything will be done right!
13700.jpeg

13702.jpeg

13704.jpeg

13706.jpeg

Bare Ass
13712.jpeg

13714.jpeg

Maritime said:
Yep. Get it done right for sure. So that thing is aluminum and fiberglass?

Yessir the bottom is SMC (same as corvettes) and the top is 1/8" aluminum.

Maritime said:
Rad. No rust worries.

Exactly.
The frame is steel but mines in good shape. When I get it back I'm going to get under there with a wire wheel and take off all the surface rust and put some undercoating on and she'll be good as new!

I really wish they had had the forethought to use all stainless fasteners though, all the fasteners are rusted and will have to be replaced.
Everything I have done has been done with stainless so that down the road it will all come out without breaking off

This is true, but only to a point IMO.
A stainless fastener with some antisieze will far outlast a steel fastener even in aluminum. The problem isn't the aluminum corroding it's the steel rusting until it's too brittle to remove.
I could be wrong, but it's served me well so far

Back
Top Bottom