Where do I put the antenna?

frozenoak

I have a Speedhut GPS speedo/tach coming and I think I've got it all figured out except where to mount the antenna.

The project is a 1977 CB750F2 Cafe Racer. I want the antenna to be out of sight but the manual says there can't be any metal between it and the satellite. All the plastic and fiberglass bits have been removed. The tank, tail, and seat pan are metal. The fenders and faring, if I add them, may be wood. I'm considering a leather tank strap but haven't committed to it yet. The gauge will be mounted in the headlight bucket.

Can I mount it under the foam and leather of the seat with a quick connect for easy removal? What have other's done?

I'd run it along the line of the frame. It'll end up under the tank and seat a bit, but it might still work out. No harm done if you just need to move it later.

It's a metal bucket with an LED headlight. I'm thinking I might make some space between the tank and seat, and use upholstery to conceal it. Thanks for the advice.

These are pretty neat units, I've been looking at them alot. They are not fully waterproof, even if you ask them to seal the glass. Also, like many after market tachometers, you might have to experiment a bit with the winding on a plug wire to get it right. I need one and will probably order one soon.

Please let us know how your is working out and sensor placement, etc...

Thanks.

Your body will also block the receiver I'm pretty sure.
It's gps. It needs to be able to see the sky.
I could be wrong but I'd figure a way to make it fit where it can see blue sky

How about in front of the tank on the backbone just behind the steering stem? Would be mainly out of sight there. Make a clear path since the times that you have no signal you will no speed or mileage posting on the unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

With a 15' cable, I can mount it anywhere. I may try several spots as recommended and give it a look see. I've still got quite a bit of time before the bikes ready to ride. Thanks again for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

hillsy said:
They say the antenna is magnetic, so maybe just put it on the back of your headlight bucket?

Why didn't I think of that. I have to modify the bucket for the gauge, why not the antenna too? Or on one of the mounts. I'll have to see how big the antenna is when it gets here.

Back
Top Bottom