CB1100F

Forgot how much I grew to hate fiberglass after doing nothing but glass 12+ hours a day, mostly seven days a week for 3-4 years. I'll have a second seat option to take a look at in a bit, though.
ad17c135ece6ba6bfddf942a92c8479b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Look to have been leaking around the oil cooler hookup. Anyone know a good place to buy new lines, etc to refurb the oil cooler on the 1100F?
d40b9cf208b5043b82d778b073398bbb.jpg

Last piece for the fork swap will be in tomorrow. Tires are being put on wheels now at a friend's shop. Will be able to get her back rolling quickly. Getting her prepped for the changed to the subframe. I'm going to try first, using a hydraulic cylinder to change the angle of the somewhat stock subframe to get the tank and seat angle where I want. If unable to make that work, I'll finish cutting it apart, and weld an entire new one in, rather than just having to weld the rear support bars in.
046a1e579e659a7c25b1c0a1f4c4eefe.jpg

So, that works. Less cutting and welding now.
8f30034803156078b7223bd8c0485121.jpg

I'll need to narrow the top of the subframe about .250", but I can make this work. Raised the ass end of the tank up a touch to make it more parallel with the ground, rather than low in the back. Seat angled up just a touch, to make it a bit more comfortable for rear sets.
6bfaae0f18e9aec248e436d4669721ba.jpg

That's looking like it was meant to be that way. I'm sure you'll be welding a wedge on the subframe to support it ;)

Your seat unit is very smart.

NoRiders said:
That's looking like it was meant to be that way. I'm sure you'll be welding a wedge on the subframe to support it ;)

Your seat unit is very smart.
Oh yeah, plenty of bracing to be added. Had to cut out the gussets to get the top of the subframe to move where I wanted it. It was thin sheet metal anyhow. I'll go back in and put some .125" pieces of plate in their place. Brace up the shock mount well, along with a few other areas.

I like how it is straightened up, but just out of idle curiosity, how high will the seat height end up at?

teazer said:
I like how it is straightened up, but just out of idle curiosity, how high will the seat height end up at?
I'll be .472" lower than stock ride height at the back of the tank, with the seat angled upwards a touch.

Did run into a bit of a snag today. The chap I ordered an 848 wheel from, sent me a 1098 wheel. Different hub diameter, along with retaining stud spacing. Somehow, I completely missed that. Went to line the swingarm up, and "Oh, shit. That's not right." Should have the correct wheel in a few days. May as well go ahead and get the engine rebuilt while I wait on that.

J-Rod10 said:
May as well go ahead and get the engine rebuilt while I wait on that.
Damn that made me laugh - I'm rebuilding my CB750f engine while glaciers motor their way down valleys and wind erosion widens the Grand Canyon.

With 5 minutes, I have added 2.9527" to the forks.
8ae843ddc876d553e8a646733198012c.jpg
080e412f2e069b4e92322031389b4c9a.jpg
425b4dc61e19509b0ae600b2629c00af.jpg

I thought about making a set. If I had a dual spindle lathe with live tooling I would have. By time I sat down, programmed, set up for multiple ops per part, one mill op, and ran them, it was just easier to buy them.

I was wondering why you didn't do them yourself. I imagine your time is worth a lot more than mine, too.

Progress has been slightly hampered by both work, and what can only be described as biblical flooding. Waiting on tubing to finish up the subframe, and then I can move on to the shock mount. My local metal supply, under about 6' of water. Has never flooded before.

Take it as it comes, I suppose. So long as she's ready to take down to F1 at COTA, I'll be happy.
caea38b176b59fad1ab00e5dc2dd88c3.jpg

Ha, not a ton has been done on this. Between the shop, trying to build a house myself, I haven't had much time for it.

I'm going to weld the shock mount in this weekend. Should start moving much more quickly after I get the major frame work wrapped up. Some gusseting to do, detabbing, rear set mounts, etc.
IMG_20191128_035050.jpg

Back
Top Bottom