Cb450 modern Brat build

i love the blinkers!really cool crossover between old and new!

where did you get that beaut headlight from?do you have a link?

Since you have the cover off, there are a couple things to look out for. There is a small ball that goes in the clutch mechanism. It is probably trapped in the grease. Make sure you don't lose it.

Check to make sure your chain is not damaging the clutch mechanism inside the cover. There isn't much clearance.

Also, there should be a washer and a retaining clip on the shifter shaft. Make sure the retaining clip is seated in its groove near the engine case.

I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning in there. A good wipe down will suffice.

doc_rot said:
definitely time for a new chain and sprockets. Do yourself a favor and get a rivet style master link not one of the clip on ones. I wouldn't worry about cleaning in there too much. 1. you cant see it when the drive cover is on 2. it will get grimey again when you lube your chain, unless you are one of those guys that doesn't lube (ouch) ;D you may want to put a touch of grease on the shift shaft before reinstalling the cover as to not damage the oil seal if one is present. i wouldn't worry about the clutch pushrod.

Thanks, Yep I am definitely getting new sprockets and chain, just waiting for my swing arm and rear wheel. Thanks for the tip on greasing the shift shaft. I sure want to lube the chain, I have experienced a broken chain on a Royal Enfield before so not wanna go thru that again but I am probably gonna use the Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube as i am planning to take off the chain guard.

frogman said:
Man that's a good looking bike, I'd ride the hell out of it just as is with some cleaning and soft part replacements anyway. If you're gonna repaint, get some replacement parts and paint those, that blue/white on the tank is awesome, even if its a little dinged or scratched up it has more character than then just a white paint job. If it was me I would clean it up and wax or clear it and call it done.

I think you might find there is just about the same amount of aftermarket stuff for those stock carbs as there are for the mikunis, nothing against them I've had lots of luck getting mine to run fine, however closer you keep things to stock the better they work, slapping pods on the back of them will cause all kinds of issues.

Next time you need to pull the shifter just take the bolt out and drive a flat head screwdriver into the slot at the back to expand it. Should slide right off then. Be careful chain kits as some of the larger sized ones will rub the clutch actuating arm inside the cover and rip it apart. Cleaning in there is nothing more than getting a can of degreaser and spraying it around. No real need to clean up since it will end up dirty anyway, can check seals for leaks while you are in there any way, make sure the washer is still locked in place on the shift shaft with a cir-clip. If the clip looks remotely loose replace it, that's one of the main problems with 450's, will cause funky or hard shifting. Make sure you don't loose the ball bearing in the clutch actuator. ;)

If you haven't gotten one already copy of of the HONDA shop manual can be had here

I suggest getting comfy with that engine, they are wonderful little pieces of art that have internals that look like sewing machines. Get something wrong they run like crap or don't at all. Get em right they have more than enough power to hang with just about everything out there today. Still surprises me how much power mine makes sometimes.

Thanks, the bike looked gorgeous, thats one of the reasons why I bought it but I have a hunch that its been sitting for a long time. I am not a big fan of the vintage paint schemes and like a cleaner look myself. that for the tip about the cir-clip i would def make sure its correctly installed. I have the factory and clymer version of the manual. Thanks for the heads about the clutch actuator and I will make sure I don't loose any parts.

I am hoping to make it lighter and get a bit more power out with the mikunis and a better sounding exhaust. Thats one of the reason why i didnt rebuild the stock CV carbs as they are pain to jet correctly if you don't have stock exhaust and airbox.

Flugtechnik said:
Since you have the cover off, there are a couple things to look out for. There is a small ball that goes in the clutch mechanism. It is probably trapped in the grease. Make sure you don't lose it.

Check to make sure your chain is not damaging the clutch mechanism inside the cover. There isn't much clearance.

Also, there should be a washer and a retaining clip on the shifter shaft. Make sure the retaining clip is seated in its groove near the engine case.

I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning in there. A good wipe down will suffice.

Thanks for the tip about the ball bearing, Nothing has fallen off so far but I will keep a close eye while cleaning and reassembly.

Ok I have one more question for the CB450 gurus here, I have been trying to get my rectifier replaced with a regulator/rectifier combo unit and all i found was this thing where the rectifier should have been. From the cmsnl page (http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450-super-sport-450-k4-1971-usa_model452/partslist/F++25.html#results) it doesnt look like either of the rectifier they have listed there for cb450 k4.

I am not sure if I am looking at the right place, Help!

The first two pics are of the rectifier (?) on my bike and the other two are the pics of the two rectifiers I found on the cmsnl site for cb450 k4.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 419
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 408
  • stock rectifier.jpg
    stock rectifier.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 939
  • new stock rectifier.jpg
    new stock rectifier.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 416
What you have is a new modern silicon rectifier. The PO replaced the old silenium one. The one you have is much better. I did that mod.

If you want a new modern reg/rect combo a member on here, sonrier sells the at a great price.

www.sparckmoto.com

END OF LINE

Flugtechnik said:
What you have is a new modern silicon rectifier. The PO replaced the old silenium one. The one you have is much better. I did that mod.

If you want a new modern reg/rect combo a member on here, sonrier sells the at a great price.

www.sparckmoto.com

END OF LINE

yup i bought it from Matt. he is cool taught me how to wire it up and all :)

Those are from a TL1000s I actually got the whole front end for abt 300 bucks. I am gonna use the TL front wheel once the steering stems comes back from machine shop.

Finally got some time to work on the bike and got it to work with the new mikuni vm32 carbs. Also got the all important registration. Now I can test ride the bike. Also got new mirrors :)
It also seems like carbs needs more tuning as bike dies when downshifting to a stop.

Attachments

• photo_2.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    786.1 KB · Views: 447
  • photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 463
sanu29 said:
Finally got some time to work on the bike and got it to work with the new mikuni vm32 carbs. Also got the all important registration. Now I can test ride the bike. Also got new mirrors :)
It also seems like carbs needs more tuning as bike dies when downshifting to a stop.

I'm jealous, 450's are one of my favorite bikes and you have yours looking pretty cool.....

alright some improvements. Got the rear loop tack welded in there and swapped out the swing arm with that off a cb360.
Next up battery boxes and electricals.

Attachments

• IMG_3226.JPG
    IMG_3226.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 420
finally got the seat all tucked in and also new rear fender.

Attachments

• IMG_3402.JPG
    IMG_3402.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_3403.JPG
    IMG_3403.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 408
i don't think you have enough clearance between the fender and the tire. It looks like only an inch, your shocks will compress more than that.

doc_rot said:
i don't think you have enough clearance between the fender and the tire. It looks like only an inch, your shocks will compress more than that.

I haven't replaced my shocks yet. I have nice 13.2" hagons which I am gonna put on instead of the stock shocks. that should give enough clearance :)
Also the fenders are not yet attached to the pan in the pics, once that is done there should be more clearance

Frame powdercoated, rear loop and got the seat done, brand new Hagon shocks in the rear. Also since I was not getting much done on this bike by myself, I have got help in getting stuff done.

e7224889672d6d6d5648168541aa1fca.jpg

abd786332e2a396da015df1760d4e3aa.jpg

5608dde8e0d6d343450a4f06ca15793f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom