Time for tires. Vintage look VS Performance????

maddog5150

Been Around the Block
I have a 76 CB750 and I am about to purchase new tires as soon as I get my rear wheel laced up. I am trying to decide if I should go for something more performance wise or go for a more vintage look.
I was thinking about the
Dunlop K70 vintage look
Dunlop D404 cruiser
Dunlop GT 501 sport bias
Bridgestone S11s sport touring

I dont know much about these tires but I would like a nice balance between performance and looks. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them or if you have more info on something I listed.
Thanks again guys

Are you making a show bike or a "go" bike? Because all tires look the same when they are at speed. Get the ones that perform the best.

Good point. What do you recommend for bias ply that performs well with stock rims? Are those firestorms S11's any good? I see them on a lot of cafes and they are pretty reasonable for a set

Bridgestone S11 Spitfires are a good tire. probably not quite as grippy as BT45, but more than enough for most of us.

K-70's are my "go to" tires. I'm not the fastest rider around--or even close to the fastest rider around--but these tires have always been comfortably grippy and last a long time, in addition to having the right "look," for me, at least.

They also work very well on gravel roads...neither here nor there, but they do well on gravel...

Don't forget about the Avon Roadriders too - lots of us run them. Nice tires. But the BT45's are well liked as well. I've used Pirelli Sport Demon's on a CB550F with nice results. But the Avon's on my XS650 haven't given me any grief at all carving up Deals Gap or running 100+ on the curvy backroads of Alabama.

I went with the continentals. I like the look and have had good luck with they're race tires. I haven't ridden on these vintage style ones yet but I'm sure I wont be dissapointed.

Big Rich said:
How wide is the rear wheel? Not the tire......but the wheel.

2.15 I ordered last night and went with the 120 after googling some stuff. I'm sure I can call and change it if I need to though as it wont be shipped till monday-wednesday

Nothing wrong with a 120 on a CB750. Not sure what the original stock size was but it would have been close to 120.

What about the front? What tires did you end up going with?

FWIW CB750 rear tire I believe was a 4.00-18, a shade narrower than a 110/90-18. We sold 120/90-18 Bridgestone Spitfires for them back in the late 80s. I think the CB350 ran a 3.50-18 rear and we'd sell a 110/90-18 more often than not.

atx360 said:
I went with the continentals. I like the look and have had good luck with they're race tires. I haven't ridden on these vintage style ones yet but I'm sure I wont be dissapointed.

I agree here. They have performed well in almost all the places I have needed. The vintage ones look great too

Back
Top Bottom