Do A/T tires exist in motorcycle world?

samsquantch

Been Around the Block
I want to put together a tracker-style bike and am looking into tires. I hear a lot of bad things around here about the cool-looking firestone classic tires, so those are probably out.

What are the options for low-range or mid-range street tires?

What about all-terrain tires? Do you have to sacrifice on-road performance for off-road traction? I'm thinking something like a desert sled that sees mostly road use.

Thanks

You give up a bit with dual sport tyres but not as much as with Firestones.
I'm going to fit Shinko 244's to one of my 360s (pics in thread, last page)
They are cheap for pair (I think it was $101.00 as I got biggest I could fit to my wider rims)
Pretty soft compound so I'm not expecting to get a lot of mileage out of them, couple of thousand will be fine though as I have multiple bikes
I've used the 'originals (Yokohama)
You can lean a fair way over without drama in the dry, about average for trail tyres in the wet, pretty good on sand and gravel (as long as it's not on top of tarmac in a thin layer ;) )
Block up too quick in clay/mud

Set of 'wets' 8)
Will corner like crazy even in the wet. probably get 2,000 miles if your careful ;)
I would get a set if I had the cash and to hell with the wear ;D
That was a quick edit :eek:
You did see these are supersoft DOT tyres?
http://www.mxdirtrider.com/h-products/avon/2009-08/pr-avon-bodyparts-motorcycle-tires-dual-sport-av49-av50-sp-pro-xtreme-rain.htm
I've got the front tyre fitted, haven't built rear wheel yet (long story, arm /surgery)
Not worried bout build quality, they are fine for my application.
Main issue was always balancing not construction (although the front seems good)

Yeah, I just did a quick google search for dual-sport tires and picked one that looked like my bicycle tire- which I've found to be really effective in all kinds of conditions.

Then I noticed how much they want for them and gave up on it.--- So those are wet-weather, tacky tires?

That sounds pretty purpose-built, I'm looking for something more general. With those 244's, how much road vs off-road are you planning?

What do you think about the Shinko 700's or 705's?

Thanks

I'll probably use them 90% on road
The others may be better, I didn't do much searching.
You need to know what size rims you have, (not tyre size, rim size, it's stamped into them somewhere)
What bike?
700 and 705 series may not come in the sizes you need?

I'm using Shinko 705's on my SR500 (thread in the tracker section). Shinko dual-sports are pretty well respected. Lots of folks riding $18K BMW GS series bikes run them (not that their choices should be a barometer of quality but it says something).

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

Hi Tim,
sexy rubber ;D
What front hub is that? (or did you have fins machined off?)

All the details in my thread :)

Front and rear hubs are CB750 front hubs that have been shaved down. Friend with a lathe made up sprocket and rotor carriers for the rear and there is a 3rd bearing in the sprocket carrier.

Original plan was to run vintage spool hubs, which were laced into the vintage dirt track rims. Quick change sprocket the works. But the font hub was cracked and the rear wasn't spaced properly so I decided to just use the Honda hubs - the dirt wheels were 40 spokes so I needed Honda hubs. Shaved down they look pretty cool. Stainless Buchanan spokes.

I'll definitely give the rear brake some thought. I got the pair of FZR1000 rotors cheap and liked the way it looked, but yeah it might be a bit much. The calipers in the pics are Brembo units off a BMW F650 or something. Not sure I'll be able to make them work. I have 6 pot Tokico calipers as well but I like the smaller Brembos.

Maybe I'll just do a not so great job of bleeding the air in the rear brake lines ;)

Back
Top Bottom