Help Cb350T Drum Brakes

notabmw1

Feel completely dumb asking this, but trying to replace the front shoes on a 72 cb350 twin, and for the life of my cannot get the axle nut off to get in there. Couple things, is it reverse thread, or standard? I assume the only way to do this is, wrench on one side, and then I put on the other side a screwdriver/3 ft long pipe threw the little hole. I have bent 2 screw drivers so far and gave up. I gave it some pb blaster, put some heat on it, nothing.... I have the wheel off and I am sitting on it while trying to lever it off. This seems insane to me, but then again, the last time the brakes where done on the front was probably 20 years ago. Thoughts? Am I missing something really simple?

Attachments

• 2012-03-04 18.25.21.jpg
    2012-03-04 18.25.21.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 227
The axle nut is standard right hand thread. It must be very stuck to bend screwdrivers. Try heating with a torch.

Already gave it a good heating. Unbelievable. Will give it a go again on Friday. I assume when re-torquing it, it doesn't need to be insanely tight. I wish they would have just put a nut on the end of it, then I would have used my 750lb impact gun on it.

Well I may be picking up a parts bike this Friday or Saturday, hopefully that axle will be usable and not in the same shape. I'll give it one more day of trying, then I guess cut it off. Won't be long till this bike is done, hopefully will have the first start up next Friday after rebuilding the carbs.

Parts bike was junk, but just wanted to let you guys know I got the axle nut off. Put it in the bench vise, heated it up some more and it finally came loose. Oh I did let some PB soak in it for a day. All is well.

I use screwdriver through axle then fit it upright in vice.
22mm ring spanner (box end wrench) smack end with a dead blow hammer, unscrews easy

Back
Top Bottom