Painting built wheels: Pros, cons and opinions

QWERTYMage

I'm at the point of figuring out paint. Thinking about painting my wheels while I get everything else done. I don't want to powdercoat and weaken the old metal under heat.

What are the pros and cons of painting complete wheels? Has this ever bitten anyone in the ass after the fact? Any suggestions for prep?

I have a Harley friend that gets Industrial coatings done to his Frames, Rims and hubs (Polymer-based, low temperature curing). Thinking about doing that too.

Thanks

I'm not too sure that the heat from PC would hurt the metal, but I could be wrong.

I've always taken wheels apart to clean them and paint each part separately. After the paint is cured and wheels assembled, the only bad thing is using a spoke wrench on the nipples - if they are painted the wrench takes it right off.

QWERTYMage said:
I don't want to powdercoat and weaken the old metal under heat.

Huh? Whatever gave you that notion? Powdercoat is cured at 375° for 15-20 minutes. That is not enough to even take the temper out of a spring.

I have never heard of PC hurting wheels. And as many that have been done I am sure there would be several stories about it. Myself personally if the wheels are not polished, PC is the only way to go.

I think the rumor comes from PC'ing aluminum wheels doesn't it? You have to be more careful to make sure they don't crack?

Don't quote me on that, that's what I remember from a few years ago.

fuggers said:
I think the rumor comes from PC'ing aluminum wheels doesn't it? You have to be more careful to make sure they don't crack?

Still malarkey.
Powdercoating temperatures are no where near high enough to have a structural effect on metals, ferrous or aluminum.

Well that's good to know, maybe some careless PC'ers ran the ovens too hot back in the day and ruined it for everyone.

No. Bullshit rumors like this get started and perpetuated by people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about. :)

I've had two sets of wheels powder coated whilst assembled [ less bearings ] in an effort to save money. Both sets still going strong [ 15 and 20 years respec. ], and I'm about to have another 2 sets done - BMW R1150GS steel spoked alloy rims and a set of XS650 wires.

The PC company I currently use do this as a matter of course now with 100% results. Initial worries about PC subsequently peeling flaking were unfounded.

Back
Top Bottom