Misfit Hondamatic

1971G3SS

Well apparently this bike doesn't receive much love from most people. Personally I like it. When building something it shouldn't matter what others think or how "cool" it may or may not be. I recently obtained this 1978 CB400a and I plan on putting some time in it. I see potential in this and I plan on showing what these Honda's can become. It does need cosmetic work but everything mechanically is working perfectly. I will be trying to get as much power out of it as I can. With the hondamatic I may be limited compared to other bikes. This should make for a fun city bike once its finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,086
That's actually pretty cool. I've only ever seen the 750a. I didn't know there was a 400a. Should be a fun city bike. How many gears does it have?

Seems like a better base than mine. I just got a $400 non working 1978 cb400t (the manual sister to this bike).

I'm in the middle of a tear down; hope to see progress on yours soon!

Cb400a build

Update on the build. The color is kind of an orange copper. Not exactly what I was wanting but I think it looks pretty good. Time for assembly. The tank and seat cowl is going to be painted the orange on top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 211
Cb400a build

The seat cowl is from a cb400a tank that I cut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 215
Cb400a build

I know it looks like a lot of orange but when it all comes together it will flow nicely.

Cb400a build

Seat cowl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 594
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 610
Basement cb400a build

Coming together slowly. The seat is in the process. I'm stitching up the seat and forming it myself. I'm using black swede/leather with orange diamond stitching. I'll post pics of that build soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 685
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 632
Basement cb400a build

Not sure if I'm going to keep the rear fender on. I can always take it off at any time though. I'm cleaning and prepping the engine right now for paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 210
Basement cb400a build

Closer look at the color. Looks better in the sun

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 544
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 572
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 610
This color scheme and overall look reminds me of the bikes we had in the early to mid 90's. Oh yes, I remember my orange Schwinn Predator BMX bike with white tires and grips. Then the silver Dyno freestyle with...a whole bunch of colors I don't even remember. The 90's was an overdose of flamboyant colors...

This bike is stupid sick! Totally! I mean it's radbadical major!
zack-morris-phone-290x250.jpg

brink-disney-6.gif

img_00m0m_8qGUxgd41t8_600x450_r.jpg

freshprince.jpg

This is a pretty boring bike so I wanted something different. Going all black, silver, or the bare metal looks on these really don't do much for them. This will definitely be noticed. If it receives bad reviews I'm ok with it because I like the way its turning out compared to what it was. This is meant to be a fun city bike.

Not the most ideal work area. I'm sharing my wifes workout area and she's not to thrilled with motorcycle parts everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom