"Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

Sure thing man. I've taken about 1000 pictures of the teardown, motor specifically so if you need pictures of anything for reference, let me know. I've also learned how to save a lot of money on my next build...I've sunk way too much cash than needed making silly mistakes on this one. The "do it right the first time" theory really applies here. :)

You didn't have any issues with truing the wheels with the coated nipples did you? Did you see any wear marks on them from turning them in the rim holes? They did come out nice.
Your comments on lacing the wheels reminds me of the first time I did a brake job on my car (44years ago), 1st wheel took about an hour, the second one took about 10 minutes. Your lacing looks like a standard 2x4 (2 cross, every spoke crosses 2 others), every 2nd hole on the hub goes in every 4th hole in the rim. Start at the valve stem hole and lace all the left side clock wise, then the left side counter clock, then flip the wheel and do the same. It helps to have a diagram in front of you, easily downloaded from the interweb. But I agree it is a time consuming task.

I haven't trued them quite yet but I really didn't see much worn off as I was loose lacing them. Maybe a tiny bit on the sharp corners but nothing noticeable.

Actually I was very surprised at how durable and 'factory' everything came out. It makes me wish I coated everything to begin with. I'll do that next time...because we all know there will be a next time. ;)

I'm looking to put high pipes on this thing with a DCC shorty muffler. I was planning to buy a 2-1 collector from cone engineering (thanks Texas star!)

Does anyone have any CL175 headers they are willing to part with?

Or does anyone know the dims for the 175 and would be willing to build me a 2-1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cone Eng. has some good prices for parts to build your own pipes. I am using some of their parts to complete a muffler build on my CB400f.

Yeah I mentioned them in my post above. I called them today and got some really good info. I'm going to buy the 1-3/8 inlet to 1.5 outlet collector and the DCC shorty exhaust inevitably. If I can find some high pipes I'll go that route. If not I'll make one from scratch that routes under the bike and comes out under the rear set on the brake side.

We shall see if anyone has some...

Yeah I mentioned them in my post above. I called them today and got some really good info. I'm going to buy the 1-3/8 inlet to 1.5 outlet collector and the DCC shorty exhaust inevitably. If I can find some high pipes I'll go that route. If not I'll make one from scratch that routes under the bike and comes out under the rear set on the brake side.

We shall see if anyone has some...

Ah I gotcha. Sorry about that. What cool things are you up to for your exhaust using their components?

Using the stock CB400F header I will get a 18" meg from Cone with a 1-5/8" inlet and 3" outlet and put a Supertrapp end cap on it like this. That will make the pipe tunable.

Woah that's a sweet setup. Full stainless or are you going to coat it black? What does the tuning feature do for you? Adjustable baffle?

Keep your eyes peeled for some cl175 headers btw :)

Those Supertrapps are neat little buggers. Excellent tunability and they're not terribly expensive. Might even be a be able to find a used one, I think they've been out there for a while.

You and Marc should check out this thread, it's a bunch of videos of that can on random different bikes.

http://forums.supertrapp.com/showthread.php?969-Universals-3M-Steel-Dirtbike

Uhhhh ok I have officially changed my mind. They start to look a little funky when 18 rings are showing but in the middle setting or so they look sweet.

And 30 bucks cheaper than the DCC version! I didn't know these existed...thanks guys.

Careful, you might be looking at the price for the muffler with no core or discs. A lot of times you have to buy separately.

They are the same mufflers on my bike now. We made these pipes in 1977. The discs in the ends let you adjust back pressure and consequentially noise levels. The more discs the louder and less restriction in the exhaust. The fewer discs the more back pressure and quieter sound level.
The full set up runs about $80 each if you part them together. I want to run a longer megaphone than Supertrapp makes, but I can get all the parts to end it like the one before.

Bike is looking great - especially that seat! Did your seat builder bag the carbon fiber when he did the overlay or is it just laid on? If the latter, can you notice any defects in the weave? I'm looking to do the same with a seat I made.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I doubt myself here and there. It's nice to see things come together.

He laid it on top. I think he had a couple problems this way. There is a separate piece of carbon fiber on the portion that my butt sits on. The cowl itself is beautiful and flat. The only thing I would caution you on would be don't buff too hard. It looks like there are some places where he burned through the clear resin and the gloss isn't present. I think I mentioned this earlier but it took him a few applications of resin to get the resin to actually build up on the cloth. I'm not sure if this is common...

But he did it for cheap so overall I'm very happy. I'll get some photos of what I'm talking about tonight.

Also...I have a super amazing update coming tonight. I'll have some photos of the engine up :)

Back
Top Bottom