GS850 G - Cafe Racer

1450club

Hi All,

I am attempting my first Café Build. I know I have picked the wrong bike but I have grown to like the project. I am only part way through but you will get the drift.

The work that has been done.

I removed the airbox and replaced it with pod filters. (Yes I will be rejetting and the pods that are showen are cheapies but are being replaced with K&N
Replaced the handlebars with Clubman style. Not sure if I am going to keep these or use clip-ons.
Replaced brake lines with Braided.
Replaced Clutch and brake levers.
Removed the gauges and replaced them with a Koso digital unit
Removed the Battery box and am replacing that with a flat tray that is welded under the seat with an antigravity battery so it will fit in that spot along with all of the rest of the electronics.
Cut the tail of and replaced with a frame loop
Painted the tank etc
Bead blasted and painted everything else that I have removed so far.

Bits to come:

Next thing to do is to get it rolling and Registered and then pull down again with engine out so I can blast and paint the frame and any other bits that I have missed.
I have just sourced a set of Rearsets from an old GSXR that I will be making adaptors up to fit.
Still trying to work out what to do as far as a rear fender.

I know that I haven't done this the correct way and that I should have started with engine out but being the first time I have done this I didn't know what bits I would need on the frame and what needed to be added

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    523.2 KB · Views: 3,510
  • GS850 Start.jpg
    GS850 Start.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 5,313
looks awesome! the front fender looks awkward, make the bottom cut symmetrical with the top one.

Who says it is the wrong bike? Are you making it quicker by reducing its weight, improving the engine and making it more aerodynamic? Then it fits the original ethos of what a 'café racer' was and is.

Do you like how it looks? Then that is what matters!

It is your machine, with your style.

I haven't got aftermarket rear sets as I don't think I need them, I haven't ditched my side covers and moved my battery as I like the look of them. I have the cheap filters and they work fine, I have a Motad 4-1 with a drilled out baffle, now carbs are set, it runs amazing!

Make it so it is comfortable for you to ride and enjoy, that is what it is for, aesthetics are for when it isn't moving. If you are not going to race it then it needn't be a racer - look at the spec of the Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe. Hardly quick? But I bet it runs and stops well and is a comfortable ride - that is what your project should be - something you are confident in mechanically and comfortably excited by on the road - the rest is just dressing!

There are a hundred or more Honda CBs on here that all look the same to fit in with the 'scene' - go with what you like, be inspired but original, be proud to have something different and make it your own. Work with the constraints and make them part of your vision.

I think your bike looks great as is and you have done a lot already, keep up the good work, but... I think you should think about what it is you are trying to achieve with the look, sketch it out, google stuff, make a mood board, you have an almost blank canvas - lucky you! Embrace and Enjoy! ;D

i agree with everyone. if it was me i'd radius the corners on the front fender to smooth out the look of it. the tank looks a bit bulky for my tastes, but overall its a fine looking machine

I think you should put the side covers back on. with a little more work it would look pretty sexy instead having the empty space under the seat

Thankyou all for the comments.

The only reason I say I have picked the wrong bike is that it was a heavy bike to begin with and no matter how much I take off it will still be a heavy bike. The reason for picking the GS is that it is a reliable bike and I thought that I could get the look that I wanted.

Funny how things work. You spend soooooo much time looking at these projects that you start to overlook things. I noticed that the front guard looked funny before it was painted but then forgot all about it. Now it has been mentioned my eyes have gone back to it and I think all those that have commented on it are correct. It does look funny!

I did think that the tank was too big but I kind of like it now. I am thinking of putting a black Vinyl number like a racing number could focus the eye and make the tank look a little smaller.

The reason that I have removed the side covers and hidden all of the electrics is that the side covers make the bike look as fat as it really is. I believe that the open frame gives the bike a lighter look and putting the antigravity battery in certainly does make it lighter.

I think it looks better without the side covers. However, if you decide to close off the hole, make them out of sheet metal instead of those OEM ones. It would give a much more vintage look.

As Sean above me said, it's your bike, your build.
In my honest opinion it looks awesome............so long as you're happy with it, get out and ride it.
Enjoy what you've built, I can guarantee that after a couple of smiles, thumbs up, and general good comments towards you you won't be able to wipe the smile from your face.

noble said:
I think it looks better without the side covers. However, if you decide to close off the hole, make them out of sheet metal instead of those OEM ones. It would give a much more vintage look.

With all due respect, that is rubbish. Back in the day most bikes had the oil tank and battery box in the middle and I don't remember many bikes with flat metal panels. If the OP wants to do it, that's fine but it's not vintage. It may, however, be how some people think an old bike should look, but that's a whole other can of worms.

What I do on a street bike is to modify the OEM covers if necessary to make them thinner and probably paint them flat back so that visually they almost disappear.

Low bars need rearsets to balance the riding position. Stock pegs and low bars are a PIA or neck and wrists and knees etc.

A rear fender is always a good idea to keep rain and crap out of the filters. Race bike always have rear fenders they are small but they are there.

danker16 said:
I think you should put the side covers back on. with a little more work it would look pretty sexy instead having the empty space under the seat

+1 again....I dont personally care for the "see-through" look. What seangsuk said is the most important...it's your bike, make it how you want to. I understand coming here for opinions and ideas...thats why most of us are here, but it looks me like you've done a pretty good job so far. Yes, there are things I would do differently, but what you've built is a nice bike that I think any of us would be proud to own.

1450club said:
The only reason I say I have picked the wrong bike is that it was a heavy bike to begin with and no matter how much I take off it will still be a heavy bike.

Too heavy, nah! When I'm done practicing on my first project bike (GS650G) I'll be starting on my GL1200 project ;)

Why? "because, it's different.." Looking forward to see how you finish this one.

1450club said:
I know that I haven't done this the correct way and that I should have started with engine out but being the first time I have done this I didn't know what bits I would need on the frame and what needed to be added

Nonsense. You are proceeding in a manner that has a much higher chance of success than the nube who starts by willy nilly tearing it all apart and cutting everything off the frame without really knowing where the bike is going in the end. Get the bike finished, running, and to your liking, then the next winter, pull the engine, strip the frame down, sandblast it and paint or powdercoat it.

Keep up the good work.

Personally, I like the GS850. Yes, it's kind of a heavy bike, but the handle well and run like stink. Definitely trash the cheap pods. It will never run right. You will be surprised by how far you have to go with your main jet with the K&N filters instead of the airbox. Start at 137.5 or 140. (Stock is 115.) That bike is waaay too lean in stock form, and with pods will barely even run until you go waaay richer on the main jet. Also, to up one jet size on the pilot jet. You may need to shim the slide needles just a little, too, otherwise you will get some cruising speed surging.

Kick ass build! let me know what your doing with the clubmans, if your interested in trading, I have a set of clipons on my GS850 I'm thinking of swaping out...

-Mark

Back
Top Bottom