2.5itim's cb200 build

2.5itim

So I guess I'll start with a little back story here. About 3 years ago me and a buddy were talking about how I wanted to do a cb cafe type build and he told me he had a cb200 sitting out behind his shop that ran when it was parked but that was about 5 years prior, I expected it to be in pretty bad shape but no where near as bad as it was.

After I got it home I started the tear down and found that just about everything except the frame and gas tank was rusted. Forks rusted, wheels in really bad shape and pulled the top end off the engine to find the cylinders and rotating assembly all rusted. That engine got thrown in the scrap bin at work and I parked the bike in the back shop for the next 2-3 years until I figure out what I wanted to do with it.

About a year and a half ago my buddy nick decided that he wanted to move to the Tulsa area and I had an extra room so he moved in and brought his 08 wr250x with him, he had just put on a 290cc big bore kit on when the oil pump went out and ended up smoking the cam journals in the head, he decided he was going to part it out and sold the wheels and forks and the rest of the bike has just set there, he moved out a few months ago and I asked him what he wanted to do with the bike. He said keep it and do whatever you want with it so...

The cb200 is getting a wr250x fuel injected engine with a 290cc big bore kit.
I've got a set of r1 forks and will be buying a set of triples to do a stem swap with.
The engine fits pretty much perfectly, I will have to drill out the back engine mount on the frame so I can bolt it in and will also have to make and weld on some mounting tabs for the 2 front engine mounts.
The biggest hurdle I am going to have is chain alignment, the countershaft sprocket sticks out about 1/2" to far out so I will be having a local builder make me a new swingarm so I can run a wider wheel and move the rear sprocket out that 1/2".

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope that y'all don't get to mad at me for doing this with an old classic, the way I see it is the original bike was gone beyond repair so this is the best route to take.
It might be a slow build because I do have a lot of projects going on right now but I will update as I go along.

The donor bike all covered in sawdust from sitting forever lol.

And how the cb currently sits, the engine is just sitting in there at the moment, the r1 forks are there under the bike.

Sounds like a huge but awesome project. It's been popular to upgrade suspension and brakes to modern components but I think a lot more people will soon consider modern engine swaps. Curious to see how you handle the fuel pump and radiator.

Barnburner, the radiator will be super simple. The wr came with one single small radiator that mounted on the right side of the frame with a fan, I have 2 options that I'm going over in my head. I will either make a mount on the front of the frame right behind the forks to mount it or I would really like to mount it up under the seat out of sight but I'm going to have a lot of electrical back there and I'm not positive it will get enough flow to cool back there. We will see what I can come up with in my head.

As for the fuel pump I have no idea what I'm going to do yet, I'm going to cut up the wr stock tank and salvage what I can from it and see how I can graft it into the cb tank.

Back
Top Bottom