KZ 650-"My Project has Projects"

bowman41

Been Around the Block
I made an introduction a while back but I never got to making a build thread. My build is making slow progress and that is one reason I have not made a thread. However, I think I've got to a point where I have enough done and some pictures to show some progress so I figured I would make a thread.

A little about myself. I'm from Rayland, OH it is a small town just outside of Wheeling, Wv and not too far from Pittsburgh. To make a long story short I got a free chopped up 1980 KZ650F1 with title.
309E818B.jpg

I wrenched on the motor for a couple days and got it running. That is when I decided to purchase a parts bike because I was only planning on using this engine for the build. So I purchased a complete 1977 KZ650 B1 for $400 with clear title.
897D5B59.jpg

36A7F124.jpg

BD2FB72F.jpg

926F34FA.jpg

After a few days of wrenching on the parts bike I managed to get it running, but the carbs were all gummed up and needless to say it needed some work as well. So I took both engines out of the bike and began a top end rebuild on both of them. Heres a picture of the tear down on the 77.
27B40BD3.jpg

After looking at the internals and knowing my budget was tight I decided to go with the F1 engine because it needed much less work and the cylinders were in better shape. Just a little honing and they were ready to go.
F485155B.jpg

1E967C58.jpg

After reassembling the engine I decided to tackle the carbs. I'm not a professional by any means so I had my hands full. Luckily I had two sets of carbs one with an accelerator pump and one without. I was hoping to use the carb with pump but when I was tearing it down a piltot jet stripped out. Good thing for part bikes.
3BD36356.jpg

C2579ADA.jpg

A4D50CA3.jpg

I cleaned the working carbs up and replaced the insides, reassembled and attached them to the newly assembled engine. My plans were to reassemble the motorcycle with engine and bare essentials to make a test run and ride the bike around the yard to make sure everything was in good order before continuing. Everything worked well and it also gave me a chance to simplify my harness and make a blueprint for part of the final wiring set up. My next step was to see how some of the engines cases would clean up to see if I wanted to paint over them or strip polish and clear.
This points cover had been laid down but it was the only before picture I remembered to take. I plan on replacing this cover though.
E408BF96.jpg

680B2FED.jpg

The cases cleaned up fairly well with minimal time. But it is by no means a finished product. I think I'm going to explore other routes to clean the engine up. I'm still thinking on that.
I am trying to decide between the spoked rims or if I should go a different route altogether.
70E7EAC7.jpg

See first picture for pic of Mag? wheels.

My next order of business was to detab my frame and begin to make my tail section. I attempted to make everything from fiberglass myself. I think I am going to ditch the fiberglass electronics compartment and weld up a steel compartment which will make grounding and heat transfer easier.
Before Detabbing
D690B464.jpg

D505575F.jpg

After I detabbed the frame I cut off the rear hoop and made a fiberglass electronics compartment.
62F3D68F.jpg

2376474D.jpg

The rear of it would need to be sealed up to keep the crud out but I believe I'm going to scrap it and make a steel one. The next order was to make a rear hoop. I don't have access to a bender. So after some thinking and building a template of the bend I would need this is what I came up with.
15235752.jpg

I welded the first portion to the table and heated the pipe and bent it around the template and welded as I bent. It turned out fairly good and needed minimal straightening to make it symmetrical.
The result.
7EF943CB.jpg

After I made the hoop I began work on my seat pan which is also made of fiberglass.
I took blue tape and created flat surface and began glassing it.
5F18D1CC.jpg

BFB06181.jpg

After several layers of matte and cloth I had my seat pan. So I moved onto creating the mold for my tail section.
92C43D34.jpg

After sculpting the foam into the shape I was looking for I stretched Fleece over the structure and I used fishing line to tie down the creases toward the rear of my seat and the front lip by the tank. I then applied resin to the fleece and added layers of matte and cloth.
The light spots are not air bubbles the fleece I used was camo.
61CFA000.jpg

F821BF04.jpg

The tail section is still rough and needs some shaping yet but I'm fairly happy with the shape considering this my first attempt. The bottom edges need some straight cutting done. This is where she sits right now. I just applied some more cloth so I'm off to the garage to do a bit of sanding. Suggestions and comment welcome. Please just keep in mind this is my first build and I'm working with minimal budget. To this point with the two bikes, fiberglassing and materials I've only invested approx. $550. I apologize that I didn't go into detail about most things, but I'm playing catch and I kind of wish I'd have just made a thread from the beginning.

Re: 77 KZ650 Cafe Build

I will be following this for sure! I am about to embark on KZ650 build aswell.

I've got some good resources for parts and information. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to ask me. I'll do my best to help you, but this is my first bike build.

77 KZ650 Cafe Build

Excellent job so far! Subscribed to see how that tail turns out. Have a 750 LTD I'm going to glass over the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I should have some more pictures of tail section tonight. I placed the last layers of glass last night. I will be using filler this evening and after its cured I'm going to prime. Thanks for the support.

Just an update. I had a couple hours to work on the tail section tonight. Unfortunately, I only had enough time to apply a skim coat of bondo and some sanding. I was able to knockdown the bondo but that was all the time I had. Tomorrow night I will be doing more of the finishing and applying spot bondo. I'm hoping to get it primed and pictures posted by the weekend.

Looking great so far! I would go with the spoke wheels, but it looks like you may have your hands full cleaning them up... my buddy painted his spoke wheels black and it looks sweet.

Awesome man! How hard is it to work with that fiberglass? How do you fasten the seat to the frame of the bike? if you cant tell I am kind of a rookie when it comes to bikes. Im a Jeep guy.

Stretching the fleece and using it as my base really makes it easier. The fleece is very flexible and allowed me to create the lines and contour that I was looking for. There is no time limit and it can be situated with no rush. Once i was happy with the way the fleece laid and my lines, I just brushed the resin on and let it harden.

As far as attaching the tail section to the bike I'm using two crossbars on the frame with some wing nuts. I will provide detailed photos and pictures. The sad thing is that the glass is molded so closely to the frame, that the seat pan actually snaps into place. Unless its pulled straight up from the very front, it doesn't budge. I could probably get away with not bolting it at all.

Another update. I was able to do some cutting, shaving, and sanding this evening. It is very hard to make all the compound curves symmetrical but I am making progress. It wouldn't be nearly as hard except I feel like anything less than perfection is unacceptable. I made need to come to the realization that its handmade and to just make it as best I can and move on.

CD5FCDAF.jpg

9BFA6DFA.jpg

I am planning on doing more of the same tomorrow and sanding more of the bondo down (some spots are still fairly rough). The goal is to get as close to a finished rear section as possible by the end of the weekend.

If there are any pointers or design suggestions feel free. I'm open to input. And if any of you have glassed your own seats from scratch how symmetrical or perfect were they?

Hey man,

The seat looks great. I glassed mine from scratch as well and ran into the same sort of issues with symmetry. What I ended up doing was cutting a few profile templates out of cardboard that I could slide over the top surface of the seat. This gave me a gauge on where to add and/or remove material. It worked quite well. Mine wasn't perfect either but you had to be looking really hard to notice. Once it gets painted, with a seat and put on the bike all the minor imperfections suddenly become less significant!

This is a pic of mine when it was all done:

Calgary-20120507-00103.jpg

Calgary-20120507-00104.jpg

Man, you can tell youve been sanding. You have dust all over your Shadow haha. Are you using a sander, or are you just using your hand?

<Sbruton>Thanks for the compliment. Your tail section turned out great. I might try to make a template and see if it helps me dial in the shape.

<Gearhead>Lol it's just a rebel. It's my fathers bike, he loves that thing. The whole garage has been covered in dust. I have been using a DA sander as well as a sanding block. I used the da sander to knockdown the heavy stuff. It's definitely a process. It will be worth it in the end though. Even if its not perfect I prefer to learn and make it myself.

I'm hoping to get the primer on it today. That should give me an idea of how much is left to do on it.

Lol I'm doing my seat in glass too.

Don't worry to much about the shape , it's hand made and its part of its charm ;)

Keep on it, results will reward you :)

Cheers Wayne :)

I was looking at yours as well. It's looking quite sharp. I enjoy making things and taking pride in being ale to answer their question "where did you get that tail section?" With "I made it myself".

Thank you buddy,

Yea that's wot it's all about , enjoying your work , hobby , then knowing no one else has got the same.

Some times it's to easy to go through a parts catalog hay !

Cheers Wayne :)

Well I finished up enough to spray some primer to give me a better idea of the work and shaping needed. I'm fairly pleased with the shape but there are a few trouble spots yet. Let me know what you think over all. This is first attempt.

A79F035B.jpg

9CA3A958.jpg

03A3E443.jpg

Back
Top Bottom