CB350F Post Apocalyptic Cafe Racer

Rpino7

A.T.K.H.
Hey everyone I have been storing up on parts for my CB350F Turning this bad boy into a mean Cafe Racer 8). I have not had a chance to make any mods because the bike has been an hour and a half away from me.. :'( I have had problems 1. with the charging system and 2. getting to the bike because its to far away. I am hoping to get the bike to my place soon so I can start working on it, so it will be ready by Spring time. Any ways here is how the bike sits.
321634_10150291356286958_572846957_8283053_1332210593_n.jpg
I am keeping it Murdered, matte black to be specific with gloss black accent pieces. I am considering powder coating the entire bike or maybe just the tank and the seat. here are some of the parts that I have stored up on so far.
The Hopefully replacement alternator........ ??? ebay
P1030005.jpg

The Thruxton seat, DCC
P1030004.jpg

The rearsets thanks to DTT Member (veloracermike)
P1030003.jpg

Bar end led lights. ebay
P1030002.jpg

The adjustable clip on bars. ebay
P1030001.jpg

Pod air filters. DCC
P1020999.jpg

Bar grips. DCC
P1020998.jpg

2 inch 50 feet Exhaust wrap. ebay
P1020996.jpg

Free came with a box of spare parts. when I traded my car for some dudes Kz 900
P1020995.jpg

I am making a spread sheet of all the money that was spent on parts and investments that are going to go into the bike to keep track of my spending and also to let you guys know where I got certain parts. That will be released to DTT when the build is done.
As for now I would appreciate any feed back and help during the time of this build, and I will upload photos and status as it comes. 1st step get bike to mi casa.

Also Here is my inspiration for the bike
bmw_r60.jpg
Not Going to look to much like it as to its going to be a Cafe Racer, but its going to have the same effect on a person when they see it which is (MEAN!) and murdered out.
HAHA talk to you guys soon.

So the bike is now back at my place. ;D The Replacement alternator was a success.. The lame part is it is outside under a cover due to the fact that I have no garage. :( So I guess all the mods will have to be done outside in the cold. slowly......... Man I wish I had garage space. Anyways I will take the bike for a small ride tomorrow before I rip it apart. Stay tuned.

This bike is fun. I just cant wait for it to be completed. I wish I had photoshop to make a mock up of how I want the bike to look or envision it.

So today I took the bike out for a ride because the weather was perfect.. I came home and I wanted to see what the seat looked like on the bike. man it looks hot!
photo-7.jpg

I now need to figure out how to mount this bad boy on... another day..
I blacked out the light with some night shades.
photo-5.jpg

I Also put on the rearsets but when I went to shift this happens I guess the metal the rod was made out of is weak huh?
photo-8.jpg

lol that what you get when you don't buy new I guess. win some lose some. I will try to salvage it with a more heavy duty rod. In better news I got these in the mail today. :)
photo-9.jpg

I will keep you posted...

So I have not been able to do any work on the bike as to I am waiting for a few more parts, and am in need of some tools to finish what I need to start. One thing I do not want is to take this thing apart and not be able to put it back together. The main reason I don't want to do that is because I do not have a garage space to just leave stuff lying around. With that being said I am still just stocking up on parts. these came in today.
photo-14.jpg

A set of #75 #85 #90 to be on the safe side when I rejet the carbs.

These are the parts that I am in need of as of right now.
fork Gaiters
triple tree
oil press switch
Tires 3.00 - 18 4.00 - 18

If any of you guys have them lying around and want to give, sell, trade, or point me in the right direction in getting them I would be stoked.

So today I decided to stop being lazy! ::) I finally wrapped my headers. Which I totally screwed up on!!!! :mad:
any ways here is the final product.
photo-16.jpg

photo-15.jpg

And here is my work space! :) YA ME!!!! :p

photo-18.jpg

So when I started the bike up the headers were spiting out fire.. :eek: Is this normal? Or did I screw something up? any ways any feed back would be great! :) here is the video.
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36803503?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/36803503">Untitled</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/rosspino">Ross Pino</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

The flame means your exhaust headers aren't sealing on the head.

Did you put new gaskets in there? Or any??

where in the city are you? looks like the pratt parking lot

i would rethink those emgo pods...they are junk and not worth anything. they are almost impossible to tune and dont really work as filters. I would spend a little more on better pods like K&N or uni. but really all are a down grade from the stock airbox in terms of performance.

Hey Surffly, I am in the Flushing Queens. Not sure what parking lot you are talking about.

And as for These emgo pods, are they really that bad? I would think they are okay since DCC sells them? Oh well I can not return them now I guess ill try them out and if they are truly crap Ill buy some k&ns.

Also if you are ever down to meet up we can wrench on my bike and you can share your accumulated wisdom with me. lol
let me know it will be the first DTT meet since the other one was not a success. haha

Where in flushing?
I work with a friend at his shop in flushing, near the hosp, on the weekends.

Yes those emgos are that bad, and just because DCC sells it doesnt make it crap. They have done alot of good for the hobby but they are not gods.
cant shop buy price on somethings

I live in kew gardens. Close to main st and union turnpike.
Man I guess I got screwed huh..
Would you be down to chill?

So today I decided to stop being lazy again.... ::) haha. I got rid of the stock air box.. thing is a waste of valuable see through space. After a couple hours chopping on the frame I de-tabbed quite a bit of stuff. this was my first time using a grinder so it came out like crap. :) here are some pictures of the tear down process.
photo-48.jpg

after air box, and rear fender are gone.
photo-46.jpg

The mess of wiring I was left with. Not sure where to put it yet!
photo-40.jpg

photo-45.jpg

time to de-tab!
photo-44.jpg

I did a lot with the grinder, maybe a little to much...
photo-39.jpg

pile of Scrap metal I took of the bike.
photo-32.jpg

So I picked up some brackets and square pipe to make a mount for my seat.
photo-38.jpg

photo-42.jpg

photo-41.jpg

This is the idea behind my mounting mock ups.
photo-35.jpg

I also did not have any safety goggles so these did just fine! 8)
photo-37.jpg

So after a long hard day at the office I had to cut it short do to I ran out of grinding supplies, and had no drill. So this is a project that is going to be continued another day!
photo-34.jpg

So all the feed back I can get will be greatly appreciated! Your input will help this build to be a success! ;D I am not sure if the back of the frame is safe with out a brace through the middle so someone with expertise in this area let me know if I can swing it. I will be using the square pipe as a brace being screwed into the brackets. Also if you can help me with a mock up where to put my wiring and any other things..
Thanks

you took off two relatively important cross braces out of the rear of the frame....
The bolt on mount that you are using will not be enough in the back there.
you need to weld back something in between the shocks at the very least

Normally guys re do the wires and put it in the "hump" of what ever cafe seat they are using.

Yeah I figured that I chopped off some valuable brace.. But thats fine, I was going to weld on a cross brace exactly where you guys are telling me to with a seat pan on the rear end. I had to chop the brace in the back because the seat would not sit flush with the frame with that bump brace, and I would have lost valuable space under the hump to stick stuff. also the brace in the middle I needed to remove because I needed that part of the bar for the clamps.
Would the bar that I am using to make my mount out of be strong enough to use as a brace welded to the frame in between the shocks? Also would I need any other braces or would that one be good enough?

And MILLENNIUM FALCON it is not to cold to be working out side in NYC in Feb, the weather has been cherry this winter only two light snow falls. :) Thats more than okay in my book.

surffly said:
where in the city are you? looks like the pratt parking lot

i would rethink those emgo pods...they are junk and not worth anything. they are almost impossible to tune and dont really work as filters. I would spend a little more on better pods like K&N or uni. but really all are a down grade from the stock airbox in terms of performance.

Beat me to it! They really suck compared to K&N or UNIs. The stock air box will keep the bike running right without a lot of fussing, though.

So I finally got my seat mounted! :) here are some photos.
First the bolts were a little to long.
photo-52.jpg

So I shortened them up a bit with the grinder.
photo-54.jpg

I dont have a workspace or proper tools so I did it the ghetto way! ;D haha
photo-51.jpg

Drilled some holes in my bar and I screwed them in.
photo-55.jpg

This is the final product screwed in. :)
photo-57.jpg

Also for those of you wondering about the cross braces, I have a hoop that I am going to weld on the back.
photo-56.jpg

and I will through some other braces in there where they are needed.
I will keep you posted on that issue.

Back
Top Bottom