www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750  (Read 119341 times)

Online teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750
« Reply #620 on: Mar 28, 2018, 14:00:57 »
Try letting the left pipe go lower - under the right pipe.  That way you can give it a wider radius and still be tighter to the motor.  More like the A10 but in front of the downtubes.  Tight front to back is less important than how wide the pipes are at the bends. 

Getting exhausts right takes time to get them to look just right.

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #621 on: Mar 29, 2018, 16:35:32 »
Unfortunately I have to come in front of the downtubes - but anyway ...here's today's effort ! The masking tape doesn't quite hold the line firm enough ::), but here's the rough plan. Amazing what you can do with some random bends, an angle grinder, some masking tape and some round pipe lagging [ inside ]. ;) I'm hoping to be able to ship the assembly off to someone who knows what they're doing to tidy it up and get it welded. I have a complete spare set of random bends for them to work with.

Back to the belly fairing next. I need to finalise the actual fuel cell size and shape then I'll get the mounting brackets made. Once that's all rigid I can mock up the various cosmetic closures and panels.

First of all this is a great looking build, keep it up :)
I love the pipe idea but agree with Teazer in his last post (above) about the crossover.  The tighter you can get everything the better it is going to look.  Also maybe you don't have a welder available but if you could actually tack it all together on the bike before sending it off to a welder you would stand a much better chance of it still fitting when you get it back.  From experience even when you tack it up on the bike and take it off and weld it it will distort and some persuasion will be needed to refit it.  Again keep up the good work.
Incidentely I'm planning a tracker project and the kz750 is my top choice for a donor bike at the point!
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2018, 16:43:39 by johnu »

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #622 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:46:16 »
Get what you're saying guys ..... and thanx for the feedback. The problem I have is that I am currently limited to the random bends I have bought. I can't even cut and shut the tubing - as not only am I a crap welder - but currently ..... don't have a welder ! That's why the joints have pipe lagging inside and blue masking tape holding them more or less together !! The best I can expect is to give this set up to someone and say ..... "Something like that - but like this "  ;)
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #623 on: Apr 01, 2018, 19:38:21 »
For anyone who hasn't read the whole deal - time for a shout out to UK Mark who donated the heat shield for the Glemseck bike. Thanx mate.  ;)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #624 on: Apr 06, 2018, 17:52:51 »
One of the lads on the UK KZ 750 forum has a 4" longer swingarm !! He has NO idea how he ended up with it - but it's a perfect fit.

Yep - that'll help once the Nitrous kicks in !!

Just ordered my special RAMSHOX. 25mm longer with an additional 1" of travel. That will suit both the stock swingarm and the 4" longer version.

Next week it's work on the belly fairing [ cosmetic ] and the mountings for the Manx "tank". Can't do the seat mounts until my pal comes back - as I need access to the red frame.

My 25% uprated clutch springs should also be finished.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2018, 18:05:19 by beachcomber »

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #625 on: Apr 12, 2018, 18:04:42 »
I've tried all over my home town to get some media blasting done - nobody wants to know :'( - or it's Dick Turpin time.  :o

Finally found a 90 ltr unit BRAND NEW for 80 [ delivered  ] with all the relevant accessories and both of my hobby compressors have got enough guts to run it - deepjoy. ;D

Arriving next week.

Online canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #626 on: Apr 12, 2018, 19:08:13 »
I really need something like that too.  Nice get Beach. 
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #627 on: Apr 13, 2018, 10:08:43 »
I really need something like that too.  Nice get Beach. 

When I was in business I had two - a bench model similar to this one - and a GBFO Aquablaster. They've come down dramatically in price over the past 5 years or so [ good old Chinabay ]. I've tried out my soda blaster gun - and it is the bollox. Can't wait to get in the blast cabinet with the soda.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #628 on: Apr 21, 2018, 18:50:15 »
Bit more progress - switched to the long Weber intake manifold - makes it easier to get a nice angle on the foggers  ;)- also makes plumbing simpler.

I took the grinder to the 7R seat base to get it fettled to the top frame rail. Where the "ski-jump" front is, I'll fair that in underneath to join the frame tube.

Also got a jump start on the belly pan closure panels. If my mates feeling well enough, I'll get one of his louvred alloy panels for the front. The rear needs a bit of fettling to make a neat closure around the side. I can only do one side at the moment - no way I'm going to try to swap the frame around on my own again ! I'm making rod and heim joint head steadies up - all measured and I've got the Rose joints in my stash.

I've positioned the neck for the Monza gas cap - just need a 60mm hole saw.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #629 on: Apr 22, 2018, 10:42:25 »
Roughly like this .......... - the excess belly pan sides will be trimmed down to contour with the fillet panel. Once that's all fettled, I'll finalise the shape in matt and GRP filler - you get the idea. The back of the tank will now be at an angle to follow the closing panel and still keep as much capacity as possible by moving the tank back. Still be around 2.5 Imp galls. No room for battery now, but room for fuel pump ..... not decided on that yet - it might end up living under the "tank".

Still looking for 2 NOS foggers - good secondhand is fine.