"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

I've seen these polished with the raised part painted with black really pops the brass

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The hub has finally cleared customs and is being delivered tomorrow.

The customs charge on a 20 dollar item ??? A mere £30 !!!!!!! Fuckin robbing bastards.

It's still worth it as they are virtually unobtainable here in the UK.

Finally arrived !! It's been at customs for TWO weeks waiting for someone to contact me to pay customs charges ! [ £29.14 ].

40 minutes after the parcel was opened [ Thanx Tune A Fish ], the hub was stripped and reinstalled in my Grimeca wheel !

The hub appears to be NOS - there's absolutely no usage marks on the seals, bearings, cush drive rubbers, etc.,,etc.

While I was waiting for the hub to arrive, a bit more shaping on the tank. Virtually there now - a bit more shaping and then I'm into Black guide coat and final pattern - hopefully.

Really makes the effort worth while... Hope you can recover some cost, but it looks perfect and should perform nicely.

Thanks for the gifts, never expected that.

Hey T.A.F. - the very least I could do to show my appreciation.

The tank is virtually there now - an hour or two more fine detailing and then it's into guide coat and surfacing time. Does it look like maybe 40 hours work ? Probably not, and unless you know your Kwacker tanks, most folk probably wouldn't even notice !

BUT, I've got rid of the pressed "pie crust" finish of the seams, and as a last minute brainstorm - got rid of the filller cap depression and furniture.

Just received my new Weber intake [ long version ] courtesy of Kaptain Kwak over on the Lonesome Twin forum - stunning.

Final shaping done on the tank - then I spotted that I'd missed out the pie crust pressed seam at the rear of the tank !! Futtox.

Fortunately it's an easy fix and doesn't involve any curves ! Next week it will be guide coats and prep for topcoat. I'll be after some input as to logo / whatever on the tank and panels.

Next is finalising the measurements for the wheel spindles ( axles ). The rear is simple - just a matter of spacers. On the front I have the option of using the Grimeca spindle with spacer/sleeves, or turning down the main diameter on the OEM spindle to suit the smaller Grimeca bearings and then making a spacer sleeve for one end.

The tank has now had it's remedial filler where I missed it before [ ::) :-[]and a final flatting down of the filler. Ready for the guide coats next week - then I can really see how much work I need to do to get it right ! ;)

Drums now fitted to give me an idea of what's required for the spindles.

Initially looks like the rear is OK, just needs some spacers to centralise.

The front looks like using the Grimeca spindle with spacer / sleeves at each end for the for clamps [ larger diameter ]. My main concern was if it was long enough - it is. 8)

Next job is to drop the forks in and measure properly. The guy that made the Weber manifolds has volunteered to get the spindle machining sorted

I love those wheels!. The tank looks awesome with that cap combo. Those rims....

Tank looks great TJ I need to get the tins off the gl and get at the same. Hope they end up half as smooth as that.

Maritime / CC thanx for the encouragement. You've no idea how many times I asked myself "why" over the decision to alter the basic shape of the tank !

Unfortunately I am not a natural when it comes to pattern making - I always had expert guys working for me to do that ! And to be honest, I know that the primer "flatters" the actual surface. There's one small area I had to fill- then it's guide coat and the REAL work begins.

I'm glad I decided to go with the Monza cap, and then losing the original depressed area where the OEM cap was. Another week's painstaking work ! I want people to look at the finished tank and ask "what is that off ?" You all know my feelings on using certain iconic tanks !

The wheels ....... what can I say?? Except I' m really glad the guy that bought the Vindicator project didn't want them ! Especially as the Grimeca front 4ls brake / hub is now virtually unobtainable and way beyond my financial reach. Thanx again to Tune a fish of this parish who went to a lot of trouble to get me a suitable rear wheel ( XS500) which is virtually unobtainable here in the UK and then break the hub out and ship it to me - thanx mate.

Now my health has stabilised, I'm back into planning and scheming - beyond the single project I'm left with!

I' m hoping to score a spare KZ750 lump to build up as a Mk2 engine. Why ? Well I need something to put my spare Eaton M45 supercharger on ! That was a leftover when I had to sell my 1955 Vanguard Estate Hot Rod 12 months ago, when my future health was uncertain.

I thank you all for your continued interest and encouragement.

Green199 said:
Damn, Brass Monza caps look good! 8)

AND unique Green !!

I was visiting the factory that made the caps to discuss supply of the Aston gas caps for my Cobra and Porsche replicas. The cap was sat on a drawing board in the office were we had our meeting. When I expressed an interest ( opportunist ) I was told it was a one off casting to investigate the viability of obtaining a superior chromed finish. It was subsequently dismissed as being uneconomical and was being used as a paper weight !

After I committed to a small order for the Aston caps, I suggested they might want to throw in the Brass Monza ! So I guess I just had to use it. After all it's been in my garage for 30 years or so ..............

Lovely stand out feature.

And a nice little origin for it too. Gonna be really nice this one TJ.

I did a Yellow test piece, and what seemed a good idea in my mind - isn't ! Looks like an advert for my least favourite fast food ( ?? ) outlet ! Red and Yellow !!

However, the satin Black guide coat does look good against the fuck off Red. Maybe with some Red graphics / stripes / whatever ?

Satin Black and Feck off red sounds like a winner. With some red accents/graphics/badges.

Maritime said:
Satin Black and Feck off red sounds like a winner. With some red accents/graphics/badges.

Yes, that's growing in my mind now ! I need to match the Red on the frame, and it has to be cellulose as I've already started with that system.

I have the RAL # for the Red powder coat on my frame. Think it has to be satin finish to go with the black [ tank / seat base ].

Tank has had final rough shaping and primer surfacer coat today. Into Satin Black guide coat over the weekend - that will also give me an visual as to whether the colourways look OK. Seat base has been knife stoppered on all the minor imperfections. Once I shoot it in Satin Black, I can try the Black and Red perforated leather hides to see which one works. I'm thinking Red, using the suede side.

Hopefully the last light wipe of filler on the tank to fill the obvious blemishes yesterday. Then it WILL be Black guide coat - honest !

Seat base now in Satin Black, but to be honest it was too cold to go out in my non heated shed to check it today !

However I did collect my powder coated Grimeca brake furniture. Yes I know it's Gold and not chrome - but at £15.00 for PC vs £125 for chroming it was a NO BRAINER.

So, I won't be using that brand of rattle can again ......... Shite. Looks more like a cammo finish going from full gloss to patchy matt !

Talk about " not spoiling the ship for a ha'pperth of tar " - just ordered a litre of Satin Black cellulose.

Here in the UK you have to " declare" you are using the celly paint on a vintage / classic vehicle before you can purchase it ! Of course I am.

Back
Top Bottom