'76 Suzuki TS185 "Roker"

Your probably joking, but pot metal didn't use very much iron, if at all, because it raises the melting temperature too much. So no rusting of pot metal.

Re: '76 Suzuki TS185 "Roker"

VonYinzer said:
Pinholes in the paint. Likely from years of riding gravel roads.
Exactly what I was thinking. As there are none under the tank. Should be an easy fix, nothing a stainless brush, sanding and some rust converter won't fix.

Has anyone heard of Tygon fuel hose. I am thinking that this may be the go to replace the oil injection lines. The pvc I have used may hold up but I doubt it will last longer than a few months.

I did a bit of work on the frame yesterday getting it all pulled down to get ready for paint. I don't think the previous owner knew what grease was as all the bushing and bearings were total void of it. The neck still had independent ball bearings, the lower lot were replace with the wrong size balls as well. Hopefully I will be able to find some taper rollers of the same size.

When I pulled the swing arm off I noticed the left shock mount was... Loose. Looks like the welds broke, no doubt from repetitive jumping of the bike.
a5adc676b57c260baddbe5e29d3a5954.jpg

After a quick clean up I started to weld the mount back on. I tacked the outside to keep the mount in place while I welded the inside. I could not get a good photo because of the brightness off the cleaned steel but I will take a photo after paint to show the repair.

Tygon is really good. The F-4040-A is the fuel and oil tubing. LP1000 is the fuel only. The catch is the 4040 is yellow.

4040 is what I was looking at. As long as it is transparent I don't mind. It won't stay yellow with the oil running through it, and the pvc will go yellow anyway. Might be the go then. I am thinking 3mm for the oil lines and 6mm for the feed line. I still have to work it out but that seems the best, I have 4mm pvc on there at the moment and I am worried that the flow will be to weak from the pump.

I am starting to look at how to mount the seat, this will be my first cafe style mount. I am going to try and use the original mounts and lock point. My plan was to create a base plate for the seat to mount on and for the hinges to attach to. I will use spaces to give the seat an even height above the frame.

Anyway back to the garage!

Does yours have a 21 or 19 inch front. Not that it matters, just curious. All documentation I've found shows 19 inch but mine is a 21. Wondering if it was a factory option.

Yeah mine is a 21. And didn't that stuff me up when I ordered the tyres only to call up a few hours later when I got home and had a look at the rim.

I just ordered some Avon Roadriders for the Black Bomber I'm finishing and the tyre arrived but it had a return label on it from a local shop. It also had a barcode that read "AM26 Roadrider" but it was actually a Roadrunner ???

Flushed the gearbox out? Checked for any leaks around the head? Have you checked the mounting flange and carby?

Redliner said:
Flushed the gearbox out? Checked for any leaks around the head? Have you checked the mounting flange and carby?

I haven't even looked at that yet. All I have done to the engine is give it a quick clean and a bit of paint. After that I had a look at the oil lines.

If I have learnt anything from my GS it is deal with the engine last. So once I have a roller we can start looking at that stuff.

And buy a boat to forget about the bastard and move on! ;)

Hey I didn't buy that boat. And I didn't forget about the GS. I just don't have the funds to build it the way I want it to look. I am getting there. Slowly but getting there.

Hah just takin tha piss outta you cuz I like the build and wanna see more. I've been staring at that rim for weeks now wishing to at least see some rubber.

THE CL350 IS GOING FINE THANK YOU!

Re: Re: '76 Suzuki TS185 "Roker"

Redliner said:
Hah just takin tha piss outta you cuz I like the build and wanna see more. I've been staring at that rim for weeks now wishing to at least see some rubber.

THE CL350 IS GOING FINE THANK YOU!

There should be an update for the GS, I got tyres for it the other week.

So how is your CL350 going?

Wheels are back and the bearings will be replaced tomorrow. I had a bit of trouble getting the front bearings out but with a bit of heat they came loose.
408dde47723114dc7b865cc62667ca18.jpg

58ac55f526aca86989b6525410d5ddc5.jpg

I spent today working on getting the seat onto the frame. I had to make a sub pan to mount the Roc City Manx seat to. Had a bit of... Plywood... Left over from the boat floor so I used some of that. It worked out quite well, I just don't like the weight of it. It isn't much but on a 185 ever bit counts. So I will get the router out tomorrow and get rid of some of the wood before I seal it and paint it.

I ended up using the stock seat mounts so that I could still get to the oil tank to fill it. I forgot to get pictures but I will take some tomorrow.

More photos please. Wanna see the this seat.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

Back on my work block now, sorry Damo. I will get photos on Friday when I have a bit of time.

It doesn't look like I can take too much weight out of the seat but I am going to give it a go. I have been thinking about remaking the pan out of steel.

Anyway I have turned my focus towards the electrical system while I wait for a few parts to arrive.
The electrics are 6v, which will not work for what I have in mind, an all led system. So I need to convert to 12v. I have done a bit of research and have found conflicting information.

So what I want to know is. If I hook up a 12v rec/reg to the 3 charging coil wires and the output to either a battery or capacitor will it all work. I have no clue about Ac and Dc but from what I understand most led need Dc to run.

Doing that would also allow me to remove some of the wiring. Here is the closest diagram I have found to the harness I have.
4aac4a8f4323594134d042c1a05603e9.jpg

As I understand, you only need to change the r/r and battery. A 4ah battery should hold everything up, it works great in my CB350.

I don't think you'd have to do anything to the ignition system, since it's charging coil is independent and fully AC.

Back
Top Bottom