FZR600 Neo-Cafe

This is looking pretty damn awesome! May have missed it but whats the special edition paint for?

Nice to see another UK work in progress.

Apologies for the lack of news recently. Things slowed a bit over Christmas, my nacked shoulder has been hampering me, and the Wife's health has been a bit dicey (she has MS). But I'm still at it.

Seat unit now fitted. Needs a final flat and rub, but it's on the bike for now. Wiring loom repaired, cleaned and re wrapped. Work stripping the engine continues.

The paint was a special edition from the 'factory' here in the UK, 20 for the 1990 model year with the last of the original twin headlamp models, and 20 from 1991 with the single trapezoidal headlamp. To my knowledge this is the only 1991 model surviving, so I wanted to re use as much of the original bodywork and paint as possible. I know of only one surviving 1990 version, which is complete but rougher than Roseanne Barr without the make up. I've not found out much about the models, and don't know if the paint was factory, or if the UK or European importer had them painted up, but they were certainly sold from the showroom floor like that.

Engine cases painted...

Attachments

• WP_20170303_15_08_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170303_15_08_22_Pro.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 247
I'm kind of surprised you didn't swap to a 3tj swingarm. 1\2" ahorter and a few pounds lighter, but the same shape.

Partly price, and partly wanting to not lose any stability through reduced W/B - important for a 260lb rider. It was one of the best handling bikes of its era and I doubt there's much a ham fisted Neanderthal like me could do to improve on it.

Makes sense, I had a heck of a time finding a 3tj arm when I was building a 400. Your bike will look better than new when you're done. Keep up the good work.

Tell me about it, I have 3 400 swingers right now. 1 3EN, 1 3TJ, and 1 3TJ rrsp. One of them will end up on my XS650.

Rat_ranger said:
Makes sense, I had a heck of a time finding a 3tj arm when I was building a 400. Your bike will look better than new when you're done. Keep up the good work.

+1 you're doing good work.

Good to see that others have found that the early "R" bikes can be done something with other than just tearing off the plastic. :)

I got a 87 fzr 1000 with "some work" done to it.. ;)

While I put the finishing touches to the bottom end, my thoughts have been turning to the radiator.

I'd far rather it were air cooled for the visual simplicity. Well, it ain't! Standard radiator is a slab, zero attention to its appearance as it was designed never to be seen by man, hidden away as it was behind the fairing.

Browsing the interweb looking at rads I think I'll go with an early R6 model. It's still a slab, but it has a curve to it and looks a bit more interesting. Reckon I can do something good with one of them.

Still here. Bottom end rebuilt, ready to fit in the frame. In the interests of keeping the weight down and manageable I'll refit the top end when its in the frame.

Things have gone very slowly of late. I have a duff shoulder, which has got much worse since earlier this year. Im having an op next week, and hopefully I'll then recover sufficiently to carry on with the build.

The Limey said:
Apologies for the lack of news recently. Things slowed a bit over Christmas, my nacked shoulder has been hampering me, and the Wife's health has been a bit dicey (she has MS). But I'm still at it.

Seat unit now fitted. Needs a final flat and rub, but it's on the bike for now. Wiring loom repaired, cleaned and re wrapped. Work stripping the engine continues.

The paint was a special edition from the 'factory' here in the UK, 20 for the 1990 model year with the last of the original twin headlamp models, and 20 from 1991 with the single trapezoidal headlamp. To my knowledge this is the only 1991 model surviving, so I wanted to re use as much of the original bodywork and paint as possible. I know of only one surviving 1990 version, which is complete but rougher than Roseanne Barr without the make up. I've not found out much about the models, and don't know if the paint was factory, or if the UK or European importer had them painted up, but they were certainly sold from the showroom floor like that.

My wife has MS too. she's switching to a new drug over the next few months. Hopefully that will go well.

Thoughts and prayers for your wife!

I'm still here. Had some pretty horrendous shoulder surgery, so nothing done since June. However, while it still troubles me I'm much more mobile now so work has resumed. Huzzah!

Being old and wise I made sure the bike was cleaned, waxed, and all chrome and alloy was sprayed with Duck Oil before the bike was covered up, so it's emerged as good as the day it was parked up. All the spares and finished parts waiting to go on were also sprayed in Duck Oil and wrapped in pieces of old sheets so they're also A1.

Good to hear your shoulder is starting to improve. Both mine are worn out and sometime soon I will have to go in for the replacement surgery and that means no bike work - or much of any other type of work for months. Can't think why we keep avoiding things like that for as long as possible. Make sure to do all the physio they require/recommend and get the strength and range of motion back.

And then get that bike finished in time for next spring riding. :)

Roger that, I'm being a good boy with the physio. It helps that she's a fit wee Latvian lass who wears the sexiest little glasses... :p

It might be in the road for spring.

Attachments

• IMG_20171028_154052.jpg
    IMG_20171028_154052.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20171028_154113.jpg
    IMG_20171028_154113.jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 249
Tidied up the rear loom. Made a large alloy plate to mount the rectifier, and identified the indicator wiring. It was a mess, so trimmed it back and will solder in some new wife in due course.

My under tail panel is almost finished too.

Attachments

• IMG_20171031_151704.jpg
    IMG_20171031_151704.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
Back
Top Bottom