"the Mooch"

J-Rod10 said:
It is a drop in the bucket, compared to the yearly numbers.

They typically see 80-120 a day. Last week, they were up to 500 a day, and overwhelmed at that number. When 4,000+ arrive at the same time, well, it won't get any better.

Trevor Noah made a good point the other day. If they are applying for asylum, why not send lawyers and judges to facilitate it?

Glad you don't want to argue whether Trump is racist. I thought that was a settled question.

J-Rod10 said:
Can lawyers logistically support an overwhelmed Border Patrol?

Let's not get carried away. I don't think the refugees are going to "overwhelm" the border patrol in the sense of rushing the border. How would they overwhelm them? In the sense of a huge line of people applying for asylum at once, which could be helped by immigration lawyers and judges processing applications on the spot.

I was recently in San Luis, Sonora, for a wedding. There was a line of immigrants for a few weeks at the border, applying for asylum. Most had to wait in a line on the Mexican side of the fence as their applications were being handled slowly. More capacity for handling the applications would lessen their wait time. There were still a few left when I walked across, and they were relying on donations from people passing by and crossing the border.

This isn't even the first caravan to arrive at the border. They have handled this before.

Immigration is at some of the lowest it has been in 40 years, even with the caravan this remains true.

This is a non issue. A big old nothing burger.

carnivorous chicken said:
Let's not get carried away. I don't think the refugees are going to "overwhelm" the border patrol in the sense of rushing the border. How would they overwhelm them? In the sense of a huge line of people applying for asylum at once, which could be helped by immigration lawyers and judges processing applications on the spot.

I was recently in San Luis, Sonora, for a wedding. There was a line of immigrants for a few weeks at the border, applying for asylum. Most had to wait in a line on the Mexican side of the fence as their applications were being handled slowly. More capacity for handling the applications would lessen their wait time. There were still a few left when I walked across, and they were relying on donations from people passing by and crossing the border.

Not really been following this thread but I just wanted you guys to know about the refugee situation we had a few years back when the main wave came.
I´m from Austria so we were on the direct path from the refugees coming from Hungary.
There was a terrible incident in 2015, where a cooling car was found on the autobahn, with 71 dead refugees inside (near Parndorf Austria).
There is a huge industry of smugglers making a lot of money bringing people illegally to the EU.
This whole thing totally spun out of control.
Now there is zero media coverage over the Syrian war or anything.Like it never happened.

One small issue we tend to forget is that if a person wishes to request asylum to live in the US, they cannot apply from their home country. They have to arrive in the US to do so.

They can arrive by plane or ship or car or on foot, but they have to present themselves to Immigration authorities and formally request Asylum status.

And more judges and lawyers would make that process easier on the system as well as on asylum seekers.

Sessions is dead wrong to suggest that it's OK to deport asylum seekers because they broke the law entering the country. If they present themselves to an Immigration official and request asylum, they have broken no laws.

Sessions out. Let’s cover up that investigation.

Probably the best comment I have seen, “and the rats turn on themselves.”

Attachments

• hof.JPG
    hof.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 176
J-Rod10 said:
No, it isn't illegal to send the military to our border. Furthermore, someone being ok with our military being sent to logistically support Border Patrol for a rush at our border in no way makes them racist.

The caravan was offered shelter, medical care, jobs, and schooling. They turned it down to march on towards the US.

If my grandfather stole your gradfather's watch, and I have it now and wear it every day, should I return it to you? (yes)

Sav0r said:
Sessions out. Let’s cover up that investigation.

Probably the best comment I have seen, “and the rats turn on themselves.”

Most unhinged press conference ever yesterday. Or at least most unhinged since the last one.

As to the AG, Whitaker has already stated that he wants to defund the investigation, that it's a "witch hunt," that HC should be thrown in jail (for what again?) -- in other words, toeing the Trump line. Whether people like Romney will show their spines and stand up to an attempt to close an investigation that has already resulted in several guilty pleas and is clearly not over is yet to be seen. I'm not that optimistic, Romney hasn't shown much spine in the past (have you seen that photo of him and Trump having a meal after the election?).

Aaaaaand... it also looks like the appointment of Whitaker, as a principal officer (reporting to nobody but Trump), is unconstitutional and anything he does may be invalid. Trump tried to claim this about Mueller, but Mueller is not a principal officer (and reports to the AG or deputy AG). I guess we will see if this sticks. He is supposed to get Senate approval.

Hell of a week since the midterms. So much to chew on. Interested to hear what people think about Trump dodging the WWI ceremony because of rain. Or his call to ignore ballots still showing up in Florida -- overseas Americans and military personnel must be postmarked by Nov 6, but can arrive as late as Nov 16. I know Trump isn't very smart, but doesn't he have people telling him that attempting to disenfranchise deployed and other overseas servicemen and women doesn't look so good?

Hell of a week since the midterms. So much to chew on. Interested to hear what people think about Trump dodging the WWI ceremony because of rain. Or his call to ignore ballots still showing up in Florida -- overseas Americans and military personnel must be postmarked by Nov 6, but can arrive as late as Nov 16. I know Trump isn't very smart, but doesn't he have people telling him that attempting to disenfranchise deployed and other overseas servicemen and women doesn't look so good?
Florida is a shit show, as usual.

How is the lady in charge in Broward still in charge? Been found to have violated state and federal election law as late as earlier this year, and then again a day or two ago was found in violation of state law.

Also, in Florida ballots must show up by 7 p.m. election day. Anything after is not supposed to be counted.

J-Rod10 said:
Florida is a shit show, as usual.

How is the lady in charge in Broward still in charge? Been found to have violated state and federal election law as late as earlier this year, and then again a day or two ago was found in violation of state law.

Also, in Florida ballots must show up by 7 p.m. election day. Anything after is not supposed to be counted.

That is not true -- what I wrote about absentee and overseas ballots is true -- they can be counted until November 16. Interested in seeing a cite that says otherwise (other than Trump's tweets). Polls closed at 6, not 7. Marco Rubio fanned conspiracies by posting a photo of voting supplies such as pens and envelopes, and speculating that they may be fraudulent (what... ballots?). Rick Scott is trying to seize ballots and voting machines. Trump is trying to get the state to finalize the election before all of the legal votes are counted.

Seems like most people are just trying to vote and have their votes count.

https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/for-voters/voting/vote-by-mail/

Must be mailed no later than the 6th day before the election date, and must arrive by 7 p.m. election day to be counted.

Exceptions for military, and overseas citizens. No exceptions for absentee ballots from people in other states.

Someone, who knows how credible they may be, has made a sworn statement that election workers were filling out ballots and putting them in boxes with good ones.

Ole Broward lady has said discarded paper ballots that could not be matched have been mixed in, and can't be located at this point.

J-Rod10 said:
Exceptions for military, and overseas citizens. No exceptions for absentee ballots from people in other states.

You did read what I wrote, right? By absentee, I meant out-of-the-country absentee, as I wrote below.

** I should add, I'm curious as to your take as a Trump supporter on the cancellation due to rain of his speech at the cemetery for US vets of WWI.

Back
Top Bottom