www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.  (Read 14628 times)

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.
« Reply #330 on: May 11, 2018, 11:18:07 »
Yeah, very likely chance it's the mixture screw.  I'm pretty sure some of us were saying to get that right first.  That's what I was saying, at least.  Once you get that right, then you get the idle right, then you go into jetting, needle valve and needle.  If you can't get the mixture right during idle, then you know your pilot is wrong.  Reading back a few pages, you are only changing one jet, from what I see.  That's your main jet, which only covers the top end of your throttle.  The needle covers from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.
Sorry guys and thanks for bearing with me on this.  You're right.  I need to take a step back and really get my head around what it is exactly I'm going.  Need a better understanding of the principals and workings of the carb, then I'll know what it is exactly I'm trying to do.  In laymans terms I want to stop the exhaust from heaving out black smoke and the plug from fouling!  But I need to school myself on why it's happening, and the process involved in diagnosing and fixing it.

I need me some schoolin'
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #331 on: May 11, 2018, 11:21:48 »
No need for apologies, my man.  I think sometimes we're messaging on top of each other too.  So things get missed.

Offline datadavid

« Reply #332 on: May 11, 2018, 11:26:13 »
I'm surprised it even runs and wont bog and die if its blowing all that black smoke. I would suggest dumping all those notoriously inaccurate dynojet bits and put the carb back to stock, jet from there using original jets.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:27:58 by datadavid »

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #333 on: May 11, 2018, 11:27:59 »
I barely understand it too, I like to find instructions for the bike I am working on and follow them to get a base then make the small changes needed to get it running the best it can. For example on the Virago, I found a full set of tuning instructions that included what the baseline mixture setting is, then which way to go leaner or richer from those in the spots needed etc. it's usually something like - screw the mixture all the way in, not too tight or you can damage it, then 2 full turns out fire up bike and see how it idles, then turn in or out until it starts to stall or rev stopping at the amount of turns it idles well.  Always after the bike has fully warmed up.  then plug chops to figure out needle settings and main jets etc.  Question, at what throttle opening does it start belching soot? if it isn't until WOT it's main jet, if in between it's Main and needle if immediately from idle its mixture/needle and main could be fine.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #334 on: May 11, 2018, 11:32:25 »
I barely understand it too, I like to find instructions for the bike I am working on and follow them to get a base then make the small changes needed to get it running the best it can. For example on the Virago, I found a full set of tuning instructions that included what the baseline mixture setting is, then which way to go leaner or richer from those in the spots needed etc. it's usually something like - screw the mixture all the way in, not too tight or you can damage it, then 2 full turns out fire up bike and see how it idles, then turn in or out until it starts to stall or rev stopping at the amount of turns it idles well.  Always after the bike has fully warmed up.  then plug chops to figure out needle settings and main jets etc.  Question, at what throttle opening does it start belching soot? if it isn't until WOT it's main jet, if in between it's Main and needle if immediately from idle its mixture/needle and main could be fine.
Ha!  Can't tell you how much better that makes me feel!  Forums, YouTube, Clymers and phone-a-friend...the more help I can get the better!  Good info Mike, to answer your question the black smoke belches when the bike is idling and I crack the throttle.  Maybe 1/4, maybe 1/2 but no more than that.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #335 on: May 11, 2018, 11:33:47 »
Get the bike running to operating temp- at least 10 minutes.  Once it's hot, turn the idle screw to the lowest setting it will go without stalling.  That's usually 700 - 800 rpm.  Turn the air mix screw in until the idle drops, then out until it drops again, then turn the screw halfway between those points.  Then set your idle where you want it.  On my airheads, because of their charging system, I tend to set idle higher (1100 - 1200).  Most of my thumpers idle around 1k.  You should be no less than one turn and no more than three turns on the fuel/air mix if the idle jet is right.  Once your idle is set, then mark your throttle into 4 quarters and see where it's messing up. This is a good general guide to help you find the tune...

;)

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2018, 11:36:22 »
;)

Thanks again man, this is really gonna help.  It's like my wife always says to me - what I'm looking for is always right in front of my face.  Like the time she was in India, and I was standing in front of an open fridge at home, hungry, alone, and unable to find food.  Down the phone and on the other side of the world wife tells me to look on the top shelf, on the right, next to the mayo - packet of sausages.  Damned if they weren't sitting right there.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #337 on: May 11, 2018, 11:44:24 »
I also think datadavid's suggestion to go back to stock jetting and work from there is spot on.   

I wonder if all people that decide to work on any carburetor should be forced to work on a Holley carb first.  There are so many damn places to adjust those carbs.  You learn really quickly to change one thing at a time, and start from one point early and work your way through the carb until you get the tune right.  It's so easy to get lost in the variables. 

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #338 on: May 11, 2018, 13:48:51 »
I also think datadavid's suggestion to go back to stock jetting and work from there is spot on.   

I wonder if all people that decide to work on any carburetor should be forced to work on a Holley carb first.  There are so many damn places to adjust those carbs.  You learn really quickly to change one thing at a time, and start from one point early and work your way through the carb until you get the tune right.  It's so easy to get lost in the variables.

Trial by fire, i like it.
Weed out the weaklings right at the start hahaha.

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2018, 17:35:16 »

That's what I said ages ago :D
Go back to stock, jet up or down as needed. Although a lot of people run a big bore KLR without touching the carb.
The big bore will make you likely need to drop a jet, and the exhaust will go up one so you're essentially back where you started :D