www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.  (Read 14626 times)

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.
« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2018, 20:52:00 »
Duly noted, thanks for the direction - as soon as I get back from the mother-in-laws then that's what I'll do. 

I did follow your advice - got the bike up to running temperature by riding it around the hood for 15 mins, then pulled the plug and gave it a good clean before replacing it.  Then fired it up again and let it idle for 3 or 4 mins, and then pulled the plug again.  It looked like this -

Rich idle, right?  So cleaned it, replaced it and fired up the bike again, turning the idle screw to its lowest setting without stalling.  I had to chop up a screwdriver bit to get to the idle screw but it was still pretty tricky to reach - not entirely sure I achieved a great deal as I kept burning myself on the exhaust.  Still belching black smoke.  But at least I've discovered that the bike is idling rich, so there's that. 
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2018, 21:16:51 »
Okay, don't get offended by this question but is the choke off?  That honestly looks like a plug that's been run a while with the choke on.

I had what I thought was a situation with my airhead.  The thing just went out of sync after I did a bit of work on it.  I went about re-syncing the carbs and rode it around.  It rode okay, but nothing like it was supposed to.  Baffled, I pulled it back in the garage to give it a look.  I had the choke cables disconnected, so I didn't consider the possibility.  Turns out, the right side carb choke must've gotten hit and it was engaged. 

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2018, 21:47:16 »
Dude I literally never need the choke on this bike. Unless something is fucked up in the choke mechanism that Iím unaware of, I never have it on.

That plug got that black in the three minutes the bike was idling. Think the choke might be messed up? I did replace the lever but not the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
« Reply #343 on: May 11, 2018, 23:22:24 »
For me the choke being on would explain a lot of your symptoms. Has to be very rich to turn the plug that black. Something is way off for sure. Good luck with it, I hope it doesn't drive you crazy. Tuning carbs can be painful

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.
« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2018, 11:03:06 »
Tell you what though, went to sleep thinking about the choke and it was the first thing I thought about when I woke up.

First time for everything I guess.

So Iím going to take a look at it this morning before the trip to the in laws. Been reading up on the Keihin CVK40 carb and its choke. Turns out the choke mechanism on this carb is less of a choke and more of a ďstarter enricherĒ, in that it doesnít starve the carb of air when activated, but allows more air and gas into the carb body/cylinder. Itís a plunger set-up, not a butterfly. So when the plunger is pulled (the ďchokeĒ is on) itís not choking the air but enriching the air/gas. Thatís my understanding anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:05:21 by The Jimbonaut »

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #345 on: May 12, 2018, 12:29:16 »
Yup
It opens a little passage and allows more fuel to flow in so the mix gets richer.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #346 on: May 12, 2018, 15:17:38 »
A cold motor should always need a littke choke to start and full if very cold temp outside. If you never need the choke its way to rich and will just get worse when warm.  Maybe the choke is stuck open on the carb?
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #347 on: May 12, 2018, 15:48:27 »
Pulled the whole choke assembly apart and it is possible that the cable was not fully extended, meaning the plunger may not have been fully closing in the carb.  Can't be 100% before, but I'm fairly confident now the choke is working as it should.  Off for the weekend, when I get back tomorrow I'll pull the plug and clean it, then fire up the bike again and let it idle (I'll see if starts up right away or if it needs choke), then pull the plug and see what it looks like.

Went for a ride after re-installing the choke - still blowing clouds of black smoke when I blip the throttle.  Clouds.

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #348 on: May 12, 2018, 15:51:15 »
Pulled the whole choke assembly apart and it is possible that the cable was not fully extended, meaning the plunger may not have been fully closing in the carb.  Can't be 100% before, but I'm fairly confident now the choke is working as it should.  Off for the weekend, when I get back tomorrow I'll pull the plug and clean it, then fire up the bike again and let it idle (I'll see if starts up right away or if it needs choke), then pull the plug and see what it looks like.

Went for a ride after re-installing the choke - still blowing clouds of black smoke when I blip the throttle.  Clouds.

Maybe it's just a diesel and you don't know it  ;)

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #349 on: May 12, 2018, 15:57:34 »
Maybe it's just a diesel and you don't know it  ;)
Ha!  Sure looks like one  ???