www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.  (Read 11447 times)

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.
« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2018, 14:40:59 »
Got the stripped nuts in the tank tapped - anyone know if teflon washers will work for using with the petcock bolts instead of nylon?  Couldn't find the latter in Canadian Tire so grabbed what I could in the plumbing dept.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2018, 15:30:44 »
Are nylon washers also a no-no?

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2018, 15:48:50 »
Cool thanks man, I'll pick some nylon ones up tomorrow

Online farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2018, 16:40:31 »
Probably very obvious and already done, but make sure you flush that shit out thoroughly.
No need to find out how easily those freshly cleaned carb jets can get plugged.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2018, 16:49:30 »
I'll be rinsing it out the best I can with some gas, yeah.  Those metal shavings are gonna be pretty small - any left in the tank hopefully will get caught by the petcock filter or the fuel line filter I installed.  Hopefully.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #387 on: May 20, 2018, 11:04:40 »
Guys, question - think the standard recommended spark plug for this bike (NGK DPR8EA-9, or NGK DPR8E1x-9 Iridium) will do the job now that it has an over-bore?  Or do I need something with more bang?

The starter switch had been playing up so that got taken apart yesterday - turns out there was a bunch of gunk in there that was messing up the contacts.  Three tiny springs and one tiny ball bearing - so many opportunities for a major fail.  Did break a small plastic shoulder on the switch innards, but some well-aimed super glue and the thing was back in business.

Also tidied up the bars and controls - the throttle cable housing now sits prettier as do the brake and clutch levers.  Think I may have flooded the carb with all the throttle opening and closing while I was adjusting the cables - bike started right up and lo and behold there were the huge plumes of black smoke from the exhaust along with some backfires this time.  Really hope things even out next time I fire it up - I'll let it idle and not crack the throttle.

Also picked up Rhonda's new seat last week, but that's for a different thread...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:06:28 by The Jimbonaut »

Online farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #388 on: May 20, 2018, 11:13:05 »
Guys, question - think the standard recommended spark plug for this bike (NGK DPR8EA-9, or NGK DPR8E1x-9 Iridium) will do the job now that it has an over-bore?  Or do I need something with more bang?

The starter switch had been playing up so that got taken apart yesterday - turns out there was a bunch of gunk in there that was messing up the contacts.  Three tiny springs and one tiny ball bearing - so many opportunities for a major fail.  Did break a small plastic shoulder on the switch innards, but some well-aimed super glue and the thing was back in business.

Also tidied up the bars and controls - the throttle cable housing now sits prettier as do the brake and clutch levers.  Think I may have flooded the carb with all the throttle opening and closing while I was adjusting the cables - bike started right up and lo and behold there were the huge plumes of black smoke from the exhaust along with some backfires this time.  Really hope things even out next time I fire it up - I'll let it idle and not crack the throttle.

Also picked up Rhonda's new seat last week, but that's for a different thread...

Plugs only vary by heat range
They do this by varying the length of the tip “nose” for lack of a better word.
This affects how much thermal energy is absorbed by the plug.
Because the rate the plug transfers thermal energy to the head is constant, this changes the temperature of the plug.

You want your plug to be operating at the optimal self cleaning temperature range.
To hot and you melt it and probably get lots of detonation.
Too cold and the plug fouls more often.

The only way to get more “bang” is if you get more voltage from the coil.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #389 on: May 20, 2018, 11:18:32 »
Great info mate, cheers fella, makes sense.  Is there a way to find out if the plug is operating at peak temperature?  I'm going to switch out the plug for a new one anyway, but I wonder if maybe the old one is operating too cold and therefore is fouling more often?  Could it be that the plug was just old and therefore not doing its job properly?

The petcock fix has held so far - I found some nylon washers and the newly-tapped nuts in the tank are holding.  So far, so good.