KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Is the idle jet the same thing as the pilot jet?

The Jimbonaut said:
Is the idle jet the same thing as the pilot jet?
Yes. Did you change anything? If not, than really you're just adjusting the air screw and idle and good to go. Not likely much else will change. No reason to go into all this other stuff unless you've upgraded the carb or something.

Dude, I’ve changed everything

Bored the cylinder to 685, Stage 2 DynoJet kit in the carb, modified airbox and new Lexx exhaust.

Oh, KLX front fender, new bars and grips and a bunch of other shit but hopefully that’s not fucking anything up

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

You'l never get the carbs set up properly with new grips, put the originals back on.

What size jets were in there originally?
What sized jets are in there now?

Have you figured out if it’s rich or lean yet?

KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

farmer92 said:
What size jets were in there originally?
What sized jets are in there now?

Have you figured out if it’s rich or lean yet?
Rich mate, very rich. I’ll post up a pic of the plug - blacker than a stack of black cats in a coalmine.

Not sure about the jet sizes but will check

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

EB0VtWx.jpg

Blacker than Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath with the lights out and very thick curtains on the windows at midnite with no moon. And a bit foggy.

Blacker than - you get the picture.

The Jimbonaut said:
EB0VtWx.jpg

Blacker than Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath with the lights out and very thick curtains on the windows at midnite with no moon. And a bit foggy.

Blacker than - you get the picture.

Is it a dry black?

If you let the plug sit for a while after you pull it out does it dry off? If it stays wet then you’re sucking oil in somewhere.
Hopefully it’s just pig rich

It's a dry black, yeah. I mean this thing is caked. Also blowing belches of black smoke from the exhaust when I twist the throttle. A bit wet on the threads but I think just residual.

Did you enlarge the slide lift hole when you installed the Stage 2 kit?

That stage 2 kit and enlarging the slide lift hole should have your carb right. There usually a pre-packaged kit set up for the mods. Unless there is an issue on the air side of things and not the jetting. That sooty is way off on the mix.

We all know all bikes are different, but with the KRZ/KLX/DRZ whatever when you go big bore you have to drop down a size in mains and slow jet

Down size when the carb bore stays the same to handle the extra velocity pulling more fuel. I usually go up on carb bore with a big bore on thumpers.

irk miller said:
That stage 2 kit and enlarging the slide lift hole should have your carb right. There usually a pre-packaged kit set up for the mods. Unless there is an issue on the air side of things and not the jetting. That sooty is way off on the mix.

I was wondering about that. I didn't really do much to the filter itself, think it would benefit from a good clean? It's a foam filter - is there a proper way to clean those things?

Was also suggested that pulling the filter out completely as a test may point to whether or not the filter is too restrictive/dirty. Run the bike without the filter, get more air into the carb and see if it runs better. What do you think?

The Jimbonaut said:
I was wondering about that. I didn't really do much to the filter itself, think it would benefit from a good clean? It's a foam filter - is there a proper way to clean those things?

Was also suggested that pulling the filter out completely as a test may point to whether or not the filter is too restrictive/dirty. Run the bike without the filter, get more air into the carb and see if it runs better. What do you think?

I wash mine with some warm water and dawn dish soap.
You want to wash out the oily crap, then rinse, let dry and re-oil with filter oil. Pull it out and see how she runs.

Is filter oil a specific kind of oil or is there something else I can use?

The Jimbonaut said:
Is filter oil a specific kind of oil or is there something else I can use?

Usually in a spray can, it’s application specific as i think it’s a little clingier than regular engine oil.

Nothing to say you couldn’t use regular oil but i tried once and it drips out and makes a mess. Might not be too bad in an airbox though.

Back
Top Bottom