KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

If you're fouling plugs then it will cause intermittent stalling and starting. The carbon is grounding your spark, but it's not necessarily consistently happening.

Yeah man, I think you nailed it. The start button/kill switch assembly is a bit on the iffy side. Sometimes the bike fires right up, sometimes I have to hit the throttle/mirror/starter button assembly in the hope it'll jog something. I think there's a loose connection in there somewhere - think that could cause the bike to cut out while it's running?

I would fix your fouling plugs first. That will cause the conditions you're experiencing. You're going to be chasing ghosts when you have a glaring problem already. Poor spark will cause fouling too, but you don't know yet whether your jetting is right.

Yep, if the kill switch is on the same handle and something is lose it could cause the issue for sure. Look for a broken solder joint in the housing. or bad corrosion etc.

Thanks gents - I'll look into both suspects and hopefully find the guilty party.

Got to the carb again yesterday evening, switched out the DynoJet jet 150 (that's a Keihin 165) for a 140 (Keihin 152) - still belching black smoke from the exhaust. I've only got one jet size left in the kit and that's a 136 (Keihin 148). Hoping that'll at least dial down my exaggerated contributions to global warming.

Did you put the air filter back in yet?

Actually Brodie, no, not yet. I ordered a foam filter cleaning and oil set which arrived yesterday but I didn't get round to cleaning the thing yet. I was thinking however that once I install the filter the mix would only get slightly richer if anything.

Another thing I noticed - while I was waiting at a traffic light yesterday the engine's idle slowed, slowed and then cut out. Almost like I'd drained the gas, but I hadn't. Put the bike into neutral, hit the starter and it fired right up. Weird to me, but hopefully not to you guys! Carb? Lack of air filter? Plug?

Slowly fouling plug, still too rich on idle? did blipping the throttle do anything to help? Get the bike fully warmed. put in a new clean plug, fire it up and let it idle for 2-3 min if it will them kill it and check the plug, if its all sooty your still to rich on idle. Put air filter back first though and if it won't idle you'll need to adjust the pilot and or throttle position knob to get it to stay at idle.

Ah, too rich on idle. Makes sense when you spell it out mate. I'll clean and oil the filter, follow the steps you explained and will report back.

If it's running out of fuel, it's going lean. It will often raise in idle, then cut out. If you're puffing black smoke, as you know, it's rich. Probably losing spark as the plug carbon up.

As far as the air filter, if you're pulling more air with the CV, you could be pulling more fuel. You may be raising the needle too early and have it running on two circuits.

irk miller said:
If it's running out of fuel, it's going lean. It will often raise in idle, then cut out. If you're puffing black smoke, as you know, it's rich. Probably losing spark as the plug carbon up.

As far as the air filter, if you're pulling more air with the CV, you could be pulling more fuel. You may be raising the needle too early and have it running on two circuits.

What would be the remedy in that case Irk?

It's speculation at this point, but if what I'm suggesting is the case then the air filter will sort it. Odd things happen. Best to test when all conditions are normal. Air filter, exhaust, idle, etc.

Got it, thanks gents. Odd things happen indeed. Like just the other day I was in the post office and bumped into a mate I hadn't seen for a while. While we were shooting the shit a 20-something-year old chick politely interrupts us and says "Excuse me guys, I saw you just mailed a letter and I was wondering if you could show me how to do it?"

She went on to tell us she'd never mailed anything. Ever. And had no idea where to write the address or stick the stamp. Holy shit. What a world.

Speaking of mail, I need to go get a card for me mum and mail it today for mothers day, shit, gonna have to pay for next day dammit, I'm a horrible son.

Or how about this for odd. I was sitting on a plane once with my brother, flying from Delhi to Goa. I was in the middle seat, brother in the aisle - window seat was empty. Don't ask me why. All of a sudden there was a sneeze, and suddenly someone was sitting in the window seat. What the deuce. We christened him Claypole (anyone reading this of a certain age from the UK will get the reference) and never saw him again after that flight.

Except once.

I fell down a mine shaft about a month later in the middle of nowhere in India with a mate who got knocked unconscious. I shouted for help and after a while, guess whose head peered down at us from the mouth of the hole? Claypole. Turns out he was a fully qualified nurse, hauled us out and made sure we were ok.

Odd things.

Maritime said:
Speaking of mail, I need to go get a card for me mum and mail it today for mothers day, shit, gonna have to pay for next day dammit, I'm a horrible son.

At least you remembered. Being from the UK, my Mothers Day is about a month earlier than here in North America. I cock that one up regularly.

The Jimbonaut said:
Or how about this for odd. I was sitting on a plane once with my brother, flying from Delhi to Goa. I was in the middle seat, brother in the aisle - window seat was empty. Don't ask me why. All of a sudden there was a sneeze, and suddenly someone was sitting in the window seat. What the deuce. We christened him Claypole (anyone reading this of a certain age from the UK will get the reference) and never saw him again after that flight.

Except once.

I fell down a mine shaft about a month later in the middle of nowhere in India with a mate who got knocked unconscious. I shouted for help and after a while, guess whose head peered down at us from the mouth of the hole? Claypole. Turns out he was a fully qualified nurse, hauled us out and made sure we were ok.

Odd things.

I nominate this thread for DTT Story of the Month.

advCo said:
I nominate this thread for DTT Story of the Month.

+1. and if you hadn't made the comment about mail I'd have cocked up the M-Day card so thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom