KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

advCo said:
I nominate this thread for DTT Story of the Month.
That story doesn't quite end there. We were travelling with this guy we'd met in Thailand with the rather uncommon name Jesus. He looked the part too. But on a later flight that day was a Japanese friend of mine called Masya.

So we arrived at Goa airport and told anyone that would listen that Jesus was here, and the Messiah was coming. Remarkable how we avoided the loony bin.

Ok well that stuff worked...

0vUu9IR.jpg

Cheers Irk for the suggestion - Maxima Air Filter Cleaner does exactly what it says on the tin. What it doesn't say on the tin is that your better half will lose her shit if you spray it in the kitchen sink, like Totally. Lose. Her. Shit. So a word to the wise - if you value your marriage or any kind of meaningful relationship, don't spray this stuff anywhere near a trout filet.

Will wait till it dries, oil the thing up with the can of Fab1 I also received and get it out of the kitchen and into the bike. Where it belongs. Although it looks great on the kitchen table. "No it fucking doesn't!". No, you're right of course love. I'll get it out of there.

farmer92 said:
Nice table btw!
Floorboards salvaged from a 300 year old building. It's a sobering thought while I'm working on my cornflakes - where I now eat, some Dickensian whippersnapper grumbled over peeling turnips and being shoved up a chimney.

Oiled up the filter and installed the thing last night, then took the old girl for a blast round Montreal. She seems to go pretty well but still blowing huge belches of black smoke from the exhaust. Seems like it hasn't diminished at all despite going down a fair few jet sizes. I have one more DynoJet left in the kit (a 136 I think, equivalent of a 148 Keihin) and that's it. I think in fact that may be smaller than the stock jet I took out originally but I'm not sure.

Haven't check the plug yet, but I will. If it's not the jet, could it be the mixture screw, or maybe the needle? Pretty sure this question must have been asked a thousand times on this forum, thanks one and all for helping a guy out.

Yeah, very likely chance it's the mixture screw. I'm pretty sure some of us were saying to get that right first. That's what I was saying, at least. Once you get that right, then you get the idle right, then you go into jetting, needle valve and needle. If you can't get the mixture right during idle, then you know your pilot is wrong. Reading back a few pages, you are only changing one jet, from what I see. That's your main jet, which only covers the top end of your throttle. The needle covers from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.

farmer92 said:
She’s not sucking oil in somewhere is she?
That did cross my mind. But this smoke is black, really black, not blue. I did put a new piston in with new rings (which needed gapping) - I've never done that before so although I think I did it right I guess there's always room for, well, for not doing it right. But I'm pretty confident. New gaskets, correct torque specs when rebuilding the engine - I dunno man, gut tells me it's not oil.

Most likely not oil. your plug would look different from oil fouling. Most likely the mixture. Did the dynojet kit give you a pilot - slow jet that you changed? If so put the original back in that spot and get the mixture and idle set correctly. Irk splained that a few pages back, also you can google it specific for the KLR. There are some base settings to start from then adjust from those to get it right.

New rings need to be seated. Not uncommon at all to smoke quite a bit on fresh rings. Seat by quickly hitting full throttle, letting off, down shifting and engine braking down hills. Back and forth and repeat. Basically putting pressure on both sides of the rings to get them to seat.

irk miller said:
Yeah, very likely chance it's the mixture screw. I'm pretty sure some of us were saying to get that right first. That's what I was saying, at least. Once you get that right, then you get the idle right, then you go into jetting, needle valve and needle. If you can't get the mixture right during idle, then you know your pilot is wrong. Reading back a few pages, you are only changing one jet, from what I see. That's your main jet, which only covers the top end of your throttle. The needle covers from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.
Sorry guys and thanks for bearing with me on this. You're right. I need to take a step back and really get my head around what it is exactly I'm going. Need a better understanding of the principals and workings of the carb, then I'll know what it is exactly I'm trying to do. In laymans terms I want to stop the exhaust from heaving out black smoke and the plug from fouling! But I need to school myself on why it's happening, and the process involved in diagnosing and fixing it.

I need me some schoolin'

No need for apologies, my man. I think sometimes we're messaging on top of each other too. So things get missed.

I'm surprised it even runs and wont bog and die if its blowing all that black smoke. I would suggest dumping all those notoriously inaccurate dynojet bits and put the carb back to stock, jet from there using original jets.

I barely understand it too, I like to find instructions for the bike I am working on and follow them to get a base then make the small changes needed to get it running the best it can. For example on the Virago, I found a full set of tuning instructions that included what the baseline mixture setting is, then which way to go leaner or richer from those in the spots needed etc. it's usually something like - screw the mixture all the way in, not too tight or you can damage it, then 2 full turns out fire up bike and see how it idles, then turn in or out until it starts to stall or rev stopping at the amount of turns it idles well. Always after the bike has fully warmed up. then plug chops to figure out needle settings and main jets etc. Question, at what throttle opening does it start belching soot? if it isn't until WOT it's main jet, if in between it's Main and needle if immediately from idle its mixture/needle and main could be fine.

Maritime said:
I barely understand it too, I like to find instructions for the bike I am working on and follow them to get a base then make the small changes needed to get it running the best it can. For example on the Virago, I found a full set of tuning instructions that included what the baseline mixture setting is, then which way to go leaner or richer from those in the spots needed etc. it's usually something like - screw the mixture all the way in, not too tight or you can damage it, then 2 full turns out fire up bike and see how it idles, then turn in or out until it starts to stall or rev stopping at the amount of turns it idles well. Always after the bike has fully warmed up. then plug chops to figure out needle settings and main jets etc. Question, at what throttle opening does it start belching soot? if it isn't until WOT it's main jet, if in between it's Main and needle if immediately from idle its mixture/needle and main could be fine.
Ha! Can't tell you how much better that makes me feel! Forums, YouTube, Clymers and phone-a-friend...the more help I can get the better! Good info Mike, to answer your question the black smoke belches when the bike is idling and I crack the throttle. Maybe 1/4, maybe 1/2 but no more than that.

irk miller said:
Get the bike running to operating temp- at least 10 minutes. Once it's hot, turn the idle screw to the lowest setting it will go without stalling. That's usually 700 - 800 rpm. Turn the air mix screw in until the idle drops, then out until it drops again, then turn the screw halfway between those points. Then set your idle where you want it. On my airheads, because of their charging system, I tend to set idle higher (1100 - 1200). Most of my thumpers idle around 1k. You should be no less than one turn and no more than three turns on the fuel/air mix if the idle jet is right. Once your idle is set, then mark your throttle into 4 quarters and see where it's messing up. This is a good general guide to help you find the tune...

pilot_jet_intro.gif
;)

irk miller said:

Thanks again man, this is really gonna help. It's like my wife always says to me - what I'm looking for is always right in front of my face. Like the time she was in India, and I was standing in front of an open fridge at home, hungry, alone, and unable to find food. Down the phone and on the other side of the world wife tells me to look on the top shelf, on the right, next to the mayo - packet of sausages. Damned if they weren't sitting right there.

I also think datadavid's suggestion to go back to stock jetting and work from there is spot on.

I wonder if all people that decide to work on any carburetor should be forced to work on a Holley carb first. There are so many damn places to adjust those carbs. You learn really quickly to change one thing at a time, and start from one point early and work your way through the carb until you get the tune right. It's so easy to get lost in the variables.

irk miller said:
I also think datadavid's suggestion to go back to stock jetting and work from there is spot on.

I wonder if all people that decide to work on any carburetor should be forced to work on a Holley carb first. There are so many damn places to adjust those carbs. You learn really quickly to change one thing at a time, and start from one point early and work your way through the carb until you get the tune right. It's so easy to get lost in the variables.

Trial by fire, i like it.
Weed out the weaklings right at the start hahaha.

irk miller said:

That's what I said ages ago :D
Go back to stock, jet up or down as needed. Although a lot of people run a big bore KLR without touching the carb.
The big bore will make you likely need to drop a jet, and the exhaust will go up one so you're essentially back where you started :D

Back
Top Bottom