www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.  (Read 11670 times)

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.
« Reply #371 on: May 15, 2018, 19:35:34 »
Just drained the oil and will switch out the filter after my tea - it's a Hi Flo Filtro filter.  Picked up a couple from Kawasaki for a few bucks.  The oil looked pretty clean when it drained, didn't see any shiny stuff in there but I'll have a closer look later.  Didn't smell too gassy either - would there be a sure sign that there was gas in the oil?
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #373 on: May 16, 2018, 10:35:02 »
I thought so Irk - it may have smelled a little funky but that might just have been because the oil was really warm or that it's Rotella and I'm not used to it.

Hopefully getting my tank sorted today, and getting those balancing beads in the tires.  KLR's getting close now - once a few details are taken care of and the carb is dialled in then it's off to the races.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #374 on: May 16, 2018, 11:32:51 »
Filled up with more of the Rotella and a new filter, and did what was suggested - took the bike up and down Mount Royal a bunch of times.  Not only a barrel of fun, but I used engine compression to brake and did a bunch of accel/decel to get those rings seated.  Love riding this bike around the city at night - it has an unruly, reprobate character that appeals no end.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:57:13 by The Jimbonaut »

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2018, 11:55:11 »
Nice.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2018, 13:25:36 »
Using engine compression to slow down is fun on singles, I think you are going to have a lot of fun on this bike.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2018, 14:11:44 »
It's balls-out brilliant is what it is.  And it hasn't even gone off-road yet either.  The C model I now know was built with more of an off-road approach so I'm really looking forward to getting off the asphalt.  Worth noting that while my off-road skills aren't at zero, they hardly bother the double digits either.  Thrashing old Suzukis and Kawasaki's around Bali years ago and a bike trip across Nicaragua is pretty much the sum total of dirt.  Oh, and my first bike of course, a 50cc dirt bike that I had as an 11 year old. 

Actually, that was the first bike I ever customized, when I rode it full tilt into a ditch.  It never looked quite the same after that.  Not sure I did either.

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2018, 15:18:48 »
when I rode it full tilt into a ditch.  It never looked quite the same after that.  Not sure I did either.

Itís all starting to make sense now.
So now youíre due for an 800km ride before the next oil change, go find some dirt roads to thrash!
Gotta be some just north of mtl i would think?

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2018, 16:39:35 »
Itís all starting to make sense now.
So now youíre due for an 800km ride before the next oil change, go find some dirt roads to thrash!
Gotta be some just north of mtl i would think?
Have to be.  A mate here has a DR650 and loves to belt the thing out in the bush - once I get everything squared away then I'm hoping to get loco out in the sticks.  Work's getting in the way of the fun stuff (surprise surprise) but hoping to get the petcock nuts inside the tank tapped tomorrow to stop the leak, and also a bit more carb work done over the weekend.