KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Got the stripped nuts in the tank tapped - anyone know if teflon washers will work for using with the petcock bolts instead of nylon? Couldn't find the latter in Canadian Tire so grabbed what I could in the plumbing dept.

Teflon deteriorates with fuel. Copper crush washers should work.

Nylon is fuel resistant. Lots of fuel line is made from nylon.

Cool thanks man, I'll pick some nylon ones up tomorrow

Probably very obvious and already done, but make sure you flush that shit out thoroughly.
No need to find out how easily those freshly cleaned carb jets can get plugged.

I'll be rinsing it out the best I can with some gas, yeah. Those metal shavings are gonna be pretty small - any left in the tank hopefully will get caught by the petcock filter or the fuel line filter I installed. Hopefully.

Guys, question - think the standard recommended spark plug for this bike (NGK DPR8EA-9, or NGK DPR8E1x-9 Iridium) will do the job now that it has an over-bore? Or do I need something with more bang?

The starter switch had been playing up so that got taken apart yesterday - turns out there was a bunch of gunk in there that was messing up the contacts. Three tiny springs and one tiny ball bearing - so many opportunities for a major fail. Did break a small plastic shoulder on the switch innards, but some well-aimed super glue and the thing was back in business.

Also tidied up the bars and controls - the throttle cable housing now sits prettier as do the brake and clutch levers. Think I may have flooded the carb with all the throttle opening and closing while I was adjusting the cables - bike started right up and lo and behold there were the huge plumes of black smoke from the exhaust along with some backfires this time. Really hope things even out next time I fire it up - I'll let it idle and not crack the throttle.

Also picked up Rhonda's new seat last week, but that's for a different thread...

The Jimbonaut said:
Guys, question - think the standard recommended spark plug for this bike (NGK DPR8EA-9, or NGK DPR8E1x-9 Iridium) will do the job now that it has an over-bore? Or do I need something with more bang?

The starter switch had been playing up so that got taken apart yesterday - turns out there was a bunch of gunk in there that was messing up the contacts. Three tiny springs and one tiny ball bearing - so many opportunities for a major fail. Did break a small plastic shoulder on the switch innards, but some well-aimed super glue and the thing was back in business.

Also tidied up the bars and controls - the throttle cable housing now sits prettier as do the brake and clutch levers. Think I may have flooded the carb with all the throttle opening and closing while I was adjusting the cables - bike started right up and lo and behold there were the huge plumes of black smoke from the exhaust along with some backfires this time. Really hope things even out next time I fire it up - I'll let it idle and not crack the throttle.

Also picked up Rhonda's new seat last week, but that's for a different thread...

Plugs only vary by heat range
They do this by varying the length of the tip “nose” for lack of a better word.
This affects how much thermal energy is absorbed by the plug.
Because the rate the plug transfers thermal energy to the head is constant, this changes the temperature of the plug.

You want your plug to be operating at the optimal self cleaning temperature range.
To hot and you melt it and probably get lots of detonation.
Too cold and the plug fouls more often.

The only way to get more “bang” is if you get more voltage from the coil.

Great info mate, cheers fella, makes sense. Is there a way to find out if the plug is operating at peak temperature? I'm going to switch out the plug for a new one anyway, but I wonder if maybe the old one is operating too cold and therefore is fouling more often? Could it be that the plug was just old and therefore not doing its job properly?

The petcock fix has held so far - I found some nylon washers and the newly-tapped nuts in the tank are holding. So far, so good.

The Jimbonaut said:
Great info mate, cheers fella, makes sense. Is there a way to find out if the plug is operating at peak temperature? I'm going to switch out the plug for a new one anyway, but I wonder if maybe the old one is operating too cold and therefore is fouling more often? Could it be that the plug was just old and therefore not doing its job properly?

The petcock fix has held so far - I found some nylon washers and the newly-tapped nuts in the tank are holding. So far, so good.

Once they start to foul, you can never really clean them. You can make them work but they will foul a lot easier. best bet is to change it and go for a lengthy ride.
Should be a nice tan brown colour when you check it.

No local Napa has the Iridium plug in stock but do have the regular one - think it'll do the job? Would the iridium plug provide a significant performance improvement?

From what ive read iridium is more for lasting longer than performance. You get 20k out of standard and 80-100k out of iridium, unless you foul it etc then you just wasted $$

Think I’ll just pick up a few regulars then. Until I know I’m not gonna keep fouling the things anyway

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

You can also look if they have a P type also, the nose protrudes a bit and so they run a touch hotter, but not a full heat range, kinda like halfway between.

Picked up a few NGK spark plugs yesterday from the local Napa, and while I'm blethering away with the guy there I see this torch (aka "flashlight") on the counter -

3qCu5pi.jpg

I always take the piss out of my wife for being a "point-of-sale girl", meaning she has a hard time walking through the aisle at the checkout without grabbing some useless shit for $15. But there I was, torch in hand, thinking I gotta make this mine. No ordinary torch you see, behold! -

NIzYcyW.jpg

- pull down the bulb part a smidge and a little stem pops out - give that thing a pull and wonder-of-wonders a 2ft telescopic magnet with a flexible head is revealed in all its telescopic magnetic glory. "That sucker's coming home with me", I thought to myself, "ironic point-of-sale purchase be damned". And it did.

In less important news, got a new plug installed and went for a ride. Definitely feels crisper, no doubt. But still need to do these "plug chops" which is a new one for me. Today's a holiday here, my wife is threatening to drag me up a mountain for some "fresh air" but if that plan goes south then I know what I'm doing.

Nice, those things come in very handy sometimes. I got to do one last ride on the CX yesterday, delivered it to the new owner, new rider. Was an hour ride along the river, a little sad to see her go, she's running perfect but needed the $$ and have the GL.

Happy for you mate - it's always a little bittersweet selling a bike but sounds like your CX went to a good home. Glad you got a decent ride in to see her off. I got Rhonda's new seat installed and wheeled her out ready for her inaugural ride - as soon as I turned the gas on at the petcock it pissed all over the starter motor. Leaky inline fuel filter, one of those fancy glass ones. So much for that - have 6 cheapo ones from FortNine on their way for $10 (Bikemaster), hopefully they'll be here tomorrow and I can take the old girl out for a waltz.

The KLR is running pretty good, but still need to do the plug chops. I'll be going back in this thread to read again what the procedure is and hopefully get it down in the next day or so. Also wondering about the bars I chose. Picked up some Moose bars from a local guy here - they look great and are thick-walled aluminium so they perform great too. But they're a little narrow, and I'm not sure they're high enough either. I tricked out the grips to give me a few extra inches of width, but thinking I may need risers or different bars entirely to make long distance riding more comfy.

For example, every time I apply the front brake (the back brake not so much) I get a lot of pressure on my left hand. Think it must be because of the bar position - if they were a little higher (and certainly wider) it would make for a more comfy riding position. Any suggestions for some decent bars? I still have a $100 gift certificate from the guys at Dime City so maybe could splurge on a new set.

Bars are hard to do, I generally try and find a set that measures in the areas I want different, most have height, width and pull back measurements and if you know the current, look for a set that adds to the dimension you want different.

Back
Top Bottom