www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1980 Honda XR250, Back on the Boards  (Read 585 times)

Offline OJ

Re: 1980 Honda XR250, Back on the Boards
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2018, 13:57:39 »
Not the most exciting thread here, but the new coil did not improve the situation. I did meter at the resistor cap and do get only 40-45V, so obviously not enough to spark. Iíve checked everything else at least twice, so I may have to order a new coil. I did find OEM coil for this one, and even while pricey, might be the easiest way to go.

Offline OJ

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2018, 15:19:13 »
F YEAH! Sheís alive!

Not sure what happened, I changed nothing, but when I kicked it Ēone more timeĒ I got a big fat blue spark. So tank on, couple of kicks and she sprung to life. Of course itís not all smooth sailing as the shifter seal spits oil.

Offline OJ

« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2018, 16:03:59 »
Feel like a kid again ripping up and down the backlane. I feel sorry for my neighbors as I built a trailer sauna in the spring, itís now parked on my backyard, and now Iím tormenting the neighborhood with another old bike. My weirdo/hipster/hippie score is not improving

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2018, 16:37:31 »
Good to hear. Might be a loose connection somewhere.
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline OJ

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2018, 22:03:13 »
Managed to get a ride in last night before it got too dark. Bike runs OK, but there is a minor oil leak at the valve cover and bike ran bit lean choking when opening the throttle from slower speed and backfiring a little. So nothing too severe. Itís fast enough that I didnít have balls/skill to run through the gears on the trails. Of course I didnít take photos as I was in a bit of a rush before it got dark.

Iím not 100% confident with the air filter/box fit. Itís almost like itís too short and not angled enough to reach the carb. Would suck to get a leak on the trails and get something sucked in. Is there any pod filters that would work well on this or is it the old Ēstock filter is the only way to goĒ?

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2018, 05:56:22 »
You could get a pod to work. But as always on an off-road machine the stock airbox is the way to go. Nothing stopping you from using a higher quality filter in their though. Stock box should have a high intake to help prevent water or dust being sucked in.
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.