Obtaining a LEGAL registration for an untitled bike

The Limey said:
This sounds LIKE a REAL pain in the ASS ON your side OF the POND.
In some ways, ,Britain is too easy toget a new V5. I had a CJ250 stolen, someone applied for V5 but because I couldn't (wouldn't) go get it (I'm still in Florida) I lost a bike even though it was stolen and they now have it 'legal'.

We have a couple routes in quebec also.
You can bring it to your local police station and they run a vin check, if it checks out you get a form basically that it isn’t reported as stolen. Sometimes you get lucky and they also find the contact info for the last registered owner and they will offer to give them your contact info to make a transfer.
If not it’s okay too, they give you a form stating that it isn’t stolen and you can bring it to the license bureau and argue for a bit until they accept that it’s impossible to find the last registered owner (they know who it is, they just won’t tell you, fucking douches bags). Then they transfer to you.

Now if it isn’t in their computer system (not plated/transferred since 1982, not from QC, etc.) then you can say you owned it back then and lost the paperwork. They ask for some proof, so get a buddy to sign a paper saying you used to own the bike and they will give you the reg for it.
(May need to use an older relative if you are born after 66’. Also only works for pre 1982 bikes obviously)

Getting a friend to say X, Y, or Z about a vehicle, that isn't true, is asking for future trouble.

No thanx.

grandpaul said:
Getting a friend to say X, Y, or Z about a vehicle, that isn't true, is asking for future trouble.

No thanx.

Fair enough
I only mentioned it because i know a fellow who went this route.
We do what we can here, i’ve already been told i had to track down all of the people who had owned a bike unregistered and pay the taxes on every transaction since the last know owner had sold it if i wanted to register it... gotta love QC

I have done the Vermont Title process in Indiana and it works. The one note is that in Indiana, you cant go to a branch with the paperwork. Instead you have to fillout the Affadavit of Ownership packet. Instead of the certified letter, you can include your registration from vermont and mail it downtown. Then you get your stuff.

Keep in mind it only works if the bike was never registered or transferred in the last 36+ years so the odds of someone showing up with the ownership from pre 1980 is slim.

You could always just title one, insure them all, and just swap tags between bikes. I mean, you can't ride more than one at a time anyway. :eek:

irk miller said:
You could always just title one, insure them all, and just swap tags between bikes. I mean, you can't ride more than one at a time anyway.

This is reeeeeaaallly tempting

Because the cost to register in quebec is going up between 15-27% these next 2 years

9d6cbb33b78de396030758e788978645.jpg

Bottom row is annual cost
Top row is category

The cost for an “at risk” bike is set to hit 1900$/year by 2020 or 2021

Holy Mary mother of Trump! That's extortionate. The Republic of Ireland is also painfully expensive.

irk miller said:
You could always just title one, insure them all, and just swap tags between bikes. I mean, you can't ride more than one at a time anyway. :eek:
I must admit to using one of MY plates on another one of my (same make/model) bikes, for a quick ride, but that was many years ago and I feel better just riding the thing with the CORRECT (but expired) plate. Less of a fine if caught.

Great write up! Only question I have is what should be put down for the VT license number when I (clearly) don't have one? I assume they're fine with you putting in a different state for the "address where you live" though?

CALfeRacer said:
Great write up! Only question I have is what should be put down for the VT license number when I (clearly) don't have one? I assume they're fine with you putting in a different state for the "address where you live" though?

Yes -- I used my info from Mass, and that's where they mailed everything as well. They don't seem to have an issue with that.

CALfeRacer said:
Correct, you apply from ANY STATE, send required paperwork, pay the fees, they send you reg & plate. Period.

grandpaul said:
Correct, you apply from ANY STATE, send required paperwork, pay the fees, they send you reg & plate. Period.

Just be careful, in indiana you have 90 days after you move into the state to have all vehicle registrations moved to indiana. If you are an active resident and you are running a registration in your name from another state you better have a drivers license in that state or else they can impound and fine you.

Its all about that tax money, you live in Indiana now, and they expect you to pay registration fees here.

Back
Top Bottom