City Riding - Secret laws/rules of the road (San Francisco)

pwafer

Hello friends,

I just recently got my license and there are SOOO many laws that people seem to completely ignore (including the cops) and the line just gets more and more blurred in my head of what is legal and what is not. I have a few questions I figure people on this website might be able to help answer.

(1) Parking in between 2 cars with a meter? Legal? Not Legal? Can you get a ticket if one meter is expired and the other isn't? I always don't want to get a ticket so I hesitate to park in between cars but don't want to be a dick and take up an entire parking spot because most of the time in meter areas I don't know where the motorcycle parking is etc...

(2) Can you lane split in a city or only on the freeway? Seems like people do whatever they want on 2 wheeled vehicles in this city. Is there a specific rule to lane splitting in cities vs on freeways? Or as long as there are 2 lanes and you are in the middle (not the outside) of them it is okay?

(3) Parking on the sidewalk in residential neighborhoods? I see people do it and lock their bike to trees/poles all the time...

SF loves giving out tickets and I want all my excess cash to go into building out my bike not paying to own it! haha any suggestions are always appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom