'74 CB383 (CB360) - a Mighty Mouse adventure bike

I'm running the stock CB headers with a 35° upswept adapter, mated to these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunstall-Reverse-Cone-Motorcycle-Muffler-Chrome-Triumph-/150629696463#vi-content

Bear in mind that you won't get the same sound unless you do a bit of work though. The hot cam and open intakes definitely changes the audio track. ;)

Didn't get to work on the bike at all last month. My tank and side covers were supposed to be ready when I got back from work on the 15th, but the guy painting them hadn't been able to even start on them yet. Lot of car show work and such.

Anyhow, my gal was visiting Anchorage from SLC so it was probably best to not have extra temptation to disappear into the workshop, so to speak. Went -10*F camping at Denali instead.

Exhaust System Questions, continued-

So, 1.25" headers are ideal for performance, but SS tubing of that is less abundant, flange issues could arise, and.... I don't think I would like the look of extra skinny headers. Vain, but honest.

Idea. I am going to buy bends and tubes to make 1.5" headers.
I did however find 1.25" perforated SS tubing that I can taper down to inside the mufflers I am building. I can make the transition smooth by getting SS cones.
Or would it just be better to stay at 1.5" the entire length? The stock mufflers use something small between the baffles- Maybe 3/4"?

Sonreir - Any idea what the total stock exhaust length is? I'm curious where it falls in the 5-6 foot ideal concept. I'd measure but I'm at work again till the 16th.

Any of you who have made your own headers, how did you make the lip on the head side for clamping them down?

I was thinking of possibly just make a series of small cuts in tabs which I could then bend outward and fill with welding... wouldn't be pretty but it would probably work.

You can also use a couple of pipes with varying inside and outside diameters. Cut small sections and slip them inside one another. You end up with a thick stack that can be welded.

Electrical-

Well I got back to Anchorage. My tank and side covers are STILL not done. I had wanted to wait till I have my top triple clamp (he is using it for color matching) to do much of the electrical nonsense on accounts of a large portion of the wiring being in the handle bars. Decided not to wait. I am keeping the drag bars for now.

So, all of my wiring is now back together. I blew a few fuses getting there but everything works, including a number of items that weren't working when I took the bike apart. Namely the starter (no big deal as I rarely used it) and the turn signals. Electrical systems have always been a lot of magic and wizardry to me. I have a pretty competent basic understanding, but am constantly tricked by gremlins.

A bit of back info- I had previously thought I had a bad turn signal relay because when the switch was thrown to L or R, they would blink once, or twice, three times on a good day, then just stay lit. But the relay tested good. I fooled with it for a long while every time I worked on my bike and couldn't find the problem until today.

The problem was my headlight mounts. I had swapped out the old one for a cheap black set of headlight ears and put everything back together exactly as before. Well, the new mounts were powder coated. Since the old set up gounds to the headlight bolts and then through the mounting frame, I had effectively broken the ground path without knowing. Headlight still worked since it is fully wired, and I think the turn signals were partially grounded somehow through that system. Enough to work almost, but not really. I thought it funny. I never would have guess my headlight mount would have caused and entire system not to work.

Exhaust-

Must be Christmas today, as it has been snowing here and I got a box of goodies. Here lies the raw makings of my mufflers and headers. The bends and packing aren't shown.

I couldn't find any ready-made exhaust that I felt would finish off the bike properly. Well, I figured I've come too far to half-ass anything now. Guess we'll see if I am capable of making headers and mufflers. What I have in my mind is pretty killer. Getting it into the realm of real world items is the trick.

Cutting tubes accurately was my first hurdle. Using a hose clamps works really well as a guide for 90* cuts. I'll get pictures of the muffler body tomorrow.

Not sure how I am going to cut the cones to size....

More muffler progress.

Proof that with enough patience, accurate-enough cuts for tig welding can be made with a hand saw and sand paper.

This is just the tip. Piece on the left slips over the piece on the right, which is a transition from the 1.5" baffle to the 2" outlet that I wanted for looks.

Tip on the body.

Looking into the tip towards the baffle.

Nothing is welded yet. I am going to get all the pieces ready and probably take them to a competent tig welder. I don't think my mig welding would really do the whole thing justice...

I know this thread has been down a long time, but the Photobucket BS is such a drag and I am REALLY interested in the content.

If the OP is still around, any chance you could relink images?... Please...

Back
Top Bottom