Plunger Frame

Tunz

Been Around the Block
anyone know of a good resource for plunger style frames...basically a hard tail with real small spring/shocks in the back. Here in NS they have passed a new law that does not allow hard tails...why i will never know, I can only imagine what some builders would have though when they were half way through the build of their dream hard tail bike only to find out they couldnt get it inspected!

I was planning on a hard tail build after my cafe was done, so now I'm looking towards the plungers...something with papers. I've got a few extra XS650 motors but none of the frames have titles...

heres a pic of what I'm looking for - (I think this style frame was real popular with the old BSA's)

544701.jpg

By xs650burnout at 2010-01-11

dsc00677d.jpg

By xs650burnout, shot with CYBERSHOT at 2010-01-11

544801c001.jpg

By xs650burnout at 2010-01-11

cheers

sweet...doesnt look like they actually sell em there though??? wonder if they still make em or what??

i think most people stopped using them and building the old style plungers because of handling issues

every now and then you'll see a plunger show up on kijiji, craigslist or ebay

Shit, are they really that bad? It's the closest thing to a hard tail we are aloud to use around here...

If you're just looking to have a hard tail look and get around a stupid law you could look at fabbing something like this:

bikes-snatch-0-landing.jpg

Interesting indeed...even then, around here...I'd have to get it inspected by an engineer, before i can get a regular inspection...these new laws are retarded...not aloud doing your own frame mods here....but man it'd be worth it to try somethin like that and get it inspected by an engineer!! very cool idea/pic

Hey Tunz, That sucks, I forgot about the new laws in NS. We are still at the no inspectionsat all here. I agree a safety is a good idea, check tires and brakes andlights, but a hardtail is fine on a bike if it is welded properly. Can you use struts? Not the best but you could put your shocks on to get your sticker then put the struts on to hard tail. But I bet you want a true hardtail for the lines.

Good luck.

yeah really sucks man. I thought about the struts, but like you said...its nice to have those true hard tail lines. Whener there is any frame mods or anything like that done...there is a guy in NB who will inspect em...might be a possible route if I cant find what I'm lookin for

Plunger frames were originally designed for bikes running a side car. Without the side care the tail has a really washed out feeling to it.

looks to be an amen frame, i hunted for them for a long time, where always tooo $$$$$ so never got one... but really well made!

I think I found a place that can get me a new one...my buddy over at Cooks Classic Rebuilds here in Halifax has one on his showroom floor, said he can order one for about $900 with papers for me if I wanted! Thats got me thinkin that the shop I started workin at this year can probably order me one as well, probably get a bit of a better deal. We're closed for a month or so right now jus for the mid-winter lull, so I'm gonna ask about it when i start back up! I didnt even think they still built em, but the one at Cooks is brand new i'll let u all know what the deal is when i find out for those of you who are interested.

here's the direction my next build will go....even though I'm not even half done the current one hehe

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kdfi8dEGVKU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kdfi8dEGVKU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

shit, ad deleted by seller....was a lil more expensive then i was lookin to spend and in mississippi. but woulda been cool just to see what it looked like anyway. they def seem to be pretty rare. I'm so broke right now too...layed off for a couple months but should be back at the shop soon. And My wife and i are lookin at a house tomorrow! need to save right now. House has a nice kick arse garage though!!

I had an idea floating in my head a while back...just no time to execute. You know the older spring forks with the exposed front springs? My thought was to build a hard-trail with a set of those on the lower section.

Find the right spot for the pivot point and Bob's Your Uncle! Plus, it wouldn't look all hanky like those fake hard-tail soft-tail conversion kits you see floating around with shocks.

Just a thought...

J

Back
Top Bottom