Check us out on TV! We Will Be On Wrench Against the Machine!

Firebane - I think the draw to the show is more to do with the struggle of trying to complete a nearly impossible task. I am still in shock that we were able to complete what we did in 72hrs with what we were given...

Clem - Definitely confined by the show structure. All the tools in the shop were absolute junk. The band saw that was provided was a wood bandsaw and never got used because it was simply dangerous to do so. The tooling on the lathe was all burnt out and chipped. The tooling for the mill was either broken, the wrong size or was missing parts to make it work. So in essence it was a giant drill press... There are tons of reasons why it appears that we are fumbling around. Because we were. We walked into that shop completely blind. We were told that it was a fully equipped shop, and that we had to build a bike in 3 days for 3 grand out of a bike that was a running/riding bike. In reality, we walked into a shop with wrong type of equipment, broken equipment, missing pieces to the equipment, and give bikes that barely ran and had mechanical issues. We made it work anyway that we could.

J.Webster Designs said:
Firebane - I think the draw to the show is more to do with the struggle of trying to complete a nearly impossible task. I am still in shock that we were able to complete what we did in 72hrs with what we were given...

Clem - Definitely confined by the show structure. All the tools in the shop were absolute junk. The band saw that was provided was a wood bandsaw and never got used because it was simply dangerous to do so. The tooling on the lathe was all burnt out and chipped. The tooling for the mill was either broken, the wrong size or was missing parts to make it work. So in essence it was a giant drill press... There are tons of reasons why it appears that we are fumbling around. Because we were. We walked into that shop completely blind. We were told that it was a fully equipped shop, and that we had to build a bike in 3 days for 3 grand out of a bike that was a running/riding bike. In reality, we walked into a shop with wrong type of equipment, broken equipment, missing pieces to the equipment, and give bikes that barely ran and had mechanical issues. We made it work anyway that we could.

That maybe true but the show doesn't show anything that makes it difficult to complete a impossible task. The first two episodes the only issues people ran into were generally problems of their own nature.

I am sure that doing it in person is a lot different obviously based off of your comments but it really is not translating well to the end user.

Firebane - I don't disagree with you. I share the same thoughts on the desire for more when it comes to the final editing of the show. Alas, it is up to the network to final edit it. I wish I could get my hands on raw footage... Fingers crossed my episode was edited well.

Lostinmiself - Similar premise. Much smaller budget, much smaller time window and no ability to "pre-build" like they had on the biker build off. Kind of like "biker build-off meets Chopped on the food network" haha

J.Webster Designs said:
Lostinmiself - Similar premise. Much smaller budget, much smaller time window and no ability to "pre-build" like they had on the biker build off. Kind of like "biker build-off meets Chopped on the food network" haha
Is there online streaming of it somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N920V using DO THE TON mobile app

Lostinmiself - I was told it was available on iTunes and Amazon. You can also watch it on their website through "Esquire TV".

if they sent you into a situation far from what they promoted you should have busted a jaw or 2 and told them to fuck off !! but you swallowed your dignity and let them play you for fools ?

J.Webster Designs said:
xb33bsa - No, We took the opportunity for what it was and pushed forward and made the best out of it.

I think a lot of the issues is that you are really hyping this up with good cause obviously but what your hyped about and what we see is COMPLETELY different. If I was to go based off this show about these guys and their abilities I'd say they were mediocre backyard mechanics who can do bolt-ons. Do some research into these groups and you'll learn its more than that.

We get why your excited but again it just does not translate to the end user.

Firebane - I am not disagreeing with your thoughts, nor am I hyping the show in anyway. Just stating that we will be on it. I agree that the first couple of episodes have left me wanting more just as you have stated. Unfortunately, I am not associated with the network and have no control over any of the things that we all agree are lack luster about the show. Hopefully they did better on my episode. I will be happy to answer questions that you all may have about my episode.

Guys, this isn't serious TV. You know that don't you? It's "Reality TV" which be definition has little or no relation to actual reality. It's about drama and sparks and presenting a cool look at the end. Sands is the real deal though and has built some cool and functional bikes and his old race bikes were works of art.

For teams "competing" it's just marketing and a chance to get on TV to hawk their shops. That has a value to any shop and as long as they don't come off as complete losers, they get some good publicity. That's consistent with teh whole reality TV concept. It's about hype and appearance and has little to do with substance.

Whether or not any of the shops including JWebster can actually build a decent functional bike is not what the show is about and cannot be determined by watching the show. It's about guys trying to look cool modifying bikes to look cool. It's entertainment...

teazer said:
It's about guys trying to look cool modifying bikes to look cool. It's entertainment...

Or houses. Or cars. Or antiques. Or food. Or anything. There's a few reasons I don't have cable and that's because I don't like reality tv, I don't like sports, I don't watch the news, and I don't like tv series. There's a formula for each of those things and the differences between the shows are few and far between. Every reality show has the angry boss, the stupid guy, the wacky guy, and the guy who knows everything. Throw in a hot chick and you're set. I would venture some of them are complete BS- they have a week to restore a rusted out car and it comes out with straight body panels and fresh paint. That's impossible to do in a week. How is it that every week the American Pickers find some rare 100 year old motorcycle? Just randomly driving down the road and stopping at a house... sure...

I wish these shows were better, because I would watch them. But I can't stand the guys in bandannas, the shirts with flames on them, overemphasis on product placement, and generic music. If the networks put out stuff on par with old episodes of The New Yankee Workshop and This Old House (without that douche Bob Vila that never did anything but talk) I'd be game. Real people doing real shit.

No offense to your episode or your decision to work with the show. Just venting about the state of entertainment. I'm irritated that they put you in a position with broken tools and the constant interruptions that ate into the already-too-short amount of time. I'm sure no one expected to get duped. I would have liked to see what you could have accomplished with the proper amount of time and materials.

teazer said:
Guys, this isn't serious TV. You know that don't you? It's "Reality TV" which be definition has little or no relation to actual reality. It's about drama and sparks and presenting a cool look at the end. Sands is the real deal though and has built some cool and functional bikes and his old race bikes were works of art.

For teams "competing" it's just marketing and a chance to get on TV to hawk their shops. That has a value to any shop and as long as they don't come off as complete losers, they get some good publicity. That's consistent with teh whole reality TV concept. It's about hype and appearance and has little to do with substance.

Whether or not any of the shops including JWebster can actually build a decent functional bike is not what the show is about and cannot be determined by watching the show. It's about guys trying to look cool modifying bikes to look cool. It's entertainment...
Haha yeah Roland Sands has an AMA 250 GP championship to his name. I don't think that anyone on here can boast that. Xb???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

its not sands agreed the guy has credibility up the wazoo, but with his creativity you would think the show would be more of a standout
and if they are supplying machine tools,power tools etc rendered useless cause of no usable tooling thats horseshit, its not fair to the competitors

clem said:
XB, Jay Lossa knows bikes as he has built a few really nice bikes. I'm sure they are confined by the show structure.

Not that I'm any better, but if I had to throw away my brain for a stupid tv show for no other reason than my narcissistic search for fame... I would rather stay in my meager little world and tell the show to politely Step Off :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

xb33bsa said:
its not sands agreed the guy has credibility up the wazoo, but with his creativity you would think the show would be more of a standout
and if they are supplying machine tools,power tools etc rendered useless cause of no usable tooling thats horseshit, its not fair to the competitors
That's how I felt when I saw that's Sands was part of it. Thought it would be great and technical like a TZ250.

Well! Show has aired and everything seemed pretty true to the experience. Who all caught the episode?

Here is a few pictures of our 72hr build for the show.

untitled%20shoot-059-Edit-1_zpsidsqxska.jpg

untitled%20shoot-047-Edit_zps8w6nbspb.jpg

untitled%20shoot-042-Edit_zpsudbtdb3e.jpg

untitled%20shoot-062-Edit_zpsbta8ahgh.jpg

untitled%20shoot-081-Edit-2_zpszdr0xd9f.jpg

untitled%20shoot-067-Edit_zpsjroqh0pt.jpg

untitled%20shoot-070-Edit_zpsisfsbbnw.jpg

Enjoyed the show. That is a damn fine bike you guys pulled together in 72 hours -- well done!

Back
Top Bottom